Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a Bohlens snowblower with a blown 10hp 302 cc B&S 1450 series engine. I have a 10hp B&S PowerBOSS engine from a portable generator that I would like to put into the chasis in it's place. I think the shaft diameter on the blown engine is 7/8" - shaft length 2 5/8" and the PowerBOSS has a 1" shaft diameter (not sure of the shaft length - 3 1/2" I think - correct me if I am wrong). How hard is it going to be to figure out the pulley and belt configuration? Just want to make sure I can use this engine and figure out the pulley re-configuration and how much of a pain is really going to be?

Any advice, comments, help would be greatly apprciated

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the shaft is straight on it. Not sure about the height from the base of the engine but I'm going to assume it is different. Is there a way to figure out the new pulleys required? or is it more of a trial and error just trying different pulleys and belt lengths?

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
If you have the pulley from the old engine you can get the same diameter or go up just a bit.
If you didn't get the blown engine with the pulley you can try to find one for sale and go and measure it.
call a repair shop or send a request to an on line parts seller asking the dimensions of the original.
Once you know the dimension try Pulleys & Idlers | Lawn Mower Parts | MFG Supply for a pulley with a 1" hole.

Find out the stock belt and if you're going with a similar diameter get it and one smaller and one larger or two. Let the folks at the parts store know what you're doing as they usually appreciate you taking a few and find the one rather than making ten trips buying and returning. Just keep the belts clean and don't rip the jacket they come in.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think all gen set shafts are tapered so they can slide into the armature part.
They do, those engines also typically have a unique governor setup.

You could use the engine but to do it right requires swapping the crank out for one from anything but a generator engine along with the governor linkage/springs. It's also a really good idea to use a snowblower heater box instead of the air filter that came on it.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
If I remember right, with a generator engine you might have to modify the throttle as the ones I was looking at were fixed and not adjustable. Unless you don't have a problem with it running full speed all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts