Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So I was given a Craftsman snow blower with a 9.5 Horsepower Briggs and Stratton engine Model #20A114-0363-E1. The block has a huge hole in the side where the rod busted through. I removed the engine and disassembled. It required a new rod, gasket set and I found a good used block. I reassembled it. Installed back on the blower and fired it up a few hours ago. I noticed the rpms were way to much and shut it down immediately. I ran out of time to check further but will tomorrow. Just looking for advice as to the problem, im guessing thats why it through the rod in the first place. Doesnt appear to have to many adjustments. There is no throttle on the blower. Start it up and thats what you get. I made sure to put the linkage and governor exactly the way it came off. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
465 Posts
The governor may not be setup correctly. It's been a while since I did one, but where the shaft goes through the linkage and goes through the block is where to make the adjustment.

Loosen the nut, using a flat screwdriver turn the shaft all the way clockwise, while holding it there tighten the nut. Check to make sure the governor linkage moves freely. Like I said it's been a while since I did one, but I'm quite sure you need to turn the shaft clockwise, if that it's still wide open try it all the way the other way. It's also possible the engine wasn't assembled correctly and you have internal governor issues.

Edit: Here's a better explanation:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/faqs/adjusting-the-governor

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Make sure the linkage isn't binding and maybe one of the springs is too tight. I am not sure how yours adjusts, but usually you bend the tab or adjust a screw.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I took everything apart again, checked the governor position and it was correct. Reassembled and fired it up and it ran perfect. Something must have been off. Go Figure! Thanks for the help!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts