Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came into a basically new, 27" Briggs 1227MD (model: 1696619-02) snow blower. The auger wouldn't spin and after some disassembly I found that the worm gear is completely destroyed...someone ran the auger unit with no grease.

I am trying to find a replacement worm gear since all other parts in the gearbox are in good shape, but recently I learned there is no p/n. In every parts manual, they only list a p/n for the entire gearbox assembly which can be purchased for $250+ :surprise:. Am I stuck purchasing the entire gearbox, or does anybody know where I can source the gear by itself?

·
Registered
859 Posts
The Worm Gear is not a separate part, you have to get the whole gearbox as an assembly. Part# 84001671.
It is shown in the part breakdown but it is part of the gearbox assembly and cant be purchased separately. Unless you can find a used gearbox somewhere, just replace the whole thing instead of rebuilding it.
They were cheap weak gearboxes made by Briggs.
To have that gear made would probably cost as much as the gearbox assembly, they were usually brass gears.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay this is what I suspected. Looks like I’ll be buying the entire gearbox assembly.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Tabora,
Thats probably the same one he needs. If not, I bet you probably have one laying around.
A lot of those boxes were made by Briggs for many different manufacturers. Briggs has ties with Murray. Actually they own Murray, and Simplicity.
Look at what happens to the brass gear when the wrong shear bolts or pins are used. That is why the shear bolts break easy, to prevent that type of damage.
The sad part is, most of the parts are made in China since Briggs sent all of their manufacturing there about a decade ago.
Briggs makes many other components like pressure washer pumps and other things for many different manufacturers. They have the parts built very cheap and charge an arm and a leg for them, all for profit for the CEO's.
Even the axle seal O rings aren't available separately, they can only be obtained with the complete gear box assembly.

·
Registered
859 Posts
That gear is reference # 193 on the Briggs Power products group/ Power Portal diagram but they don't show any part number or specs of the gear, if it was an available part, they would usually show specs like dimensions and gear tooth.
1696619-02 - 1227MD, B&S 11.5 Gross TP 27" Dual Stage Snowthrower (2018)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Old part # 707559 gear box kit
New part # 84001671 gear box kit
They made some changes in the gear box. Probably because it was used originally on 8hp 22 inch, then they went to a 12hp 27inch so the gears are most likely bigger in the new box, the whole box bigger and stronger than the old one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I’ll post a couple extra pics of the gear, but 51405MA appears to be incorrect. Some quick specs of the gear I need:
OD - 2.75”
ID - 0.75”
Width/face - 0.75”
20 Tooth
Key Width - 3/16”

tabora, if you can find a match I’ll be very grateful!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ll post a couple extra pics of the gear, but 51405MA appears to be incorrect. Some quick specs of the gear I need:
OD - 2.75”
ID - 0.75”
Width/face - 0.75”
20 Tooth
Key Width - 3/16”

tabora, if you can find a match I’ll be very grateful!
I wonder if a machine shop could repair the damaged gear?

·
Registered
859 Posts
I wonder if a machine shop could repair the damaged gear?
Probably cost too much to repair. They would make another gear if they have the special cutters for the gear teeth, and you are looking at brass, which can be very expensive just for the piece of brass to make the gear.
But check with the machine shop and see what they say, good luck with it.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Have you checked with Flip Manufacturing in Greenville, Texas for that gear?

That is where I got my worm gear shaft gear, 51405. They might have yours? Way cheaper than anyone else, and quality looks excellent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just got off the phone with Flip Mfg, they couldn't track anything that would fit my machine. They did offer 51405MA, but unfortunately that part won't fit.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Pull the Motor, and Scrap the Machine. Find an Ariens or Toro with Blown Engine, and Swap it out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts