Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
i hate the plastic carbs they were running on some of their newer lawn mowers/pressure washers. i don't know why they couldn't have just done like they others and used honda clone type carb even if they made it out of plastic. would definitely make the main jet easier to clean. main jet on most of these carbs have to be pried out which is a gamble whether you break a plastic piece or not.

·
Registered
460 Posts
So instead, they started putting Honda engines on their power equipment, for example my new B&S/Craftsman pressure washer:
How else are they going to slap that made in America decal on there? I do feel sorry for the American workers that may have assembled these though.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
No one really pays attention to the made in USA label. Its not like were still in the 50's when made in the USA might have stood for something.

This is a world market now, and mostly because of the US labor rates, and the global workforce available, just about everything has its source in the world market.

Enter politics, tariffs, etc., etc., into that and putting parts from Taiwan into something assembled here and calling it made in America ... well you get the picture.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
just because it is made here doesn't mean the quality is better. heck sometimes if it is made here the quality is worse. i know the company my mom work for makes parts for car companies and has been having an issue with quality control lately because the company is buying cheap supplies. all companies try to cut corners and save money here and there when they can and usually it will hurt the company eventually. i think it is part of the reason companies like honda are doing than Briggs & stratton. some people will pay a tiny bit more for a bit more quality machine. you definitely see a lot more mowers offered with honda engine on the bit more expensive models but you more so get what you pay for with them.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Hello. I saw this today

This is sad but I can't forget that this company sold trash motors with plastic lobe cams with plastic gears they have to change later with metal parts.
John Deere had Kawasaki motors built with Plastic Cams in them for J.D.
Kohler has been building a lot of their engines with plastic cams in them.
All of those motors had a 100% failure rate on the camshafts.
The Honda GC overhead cam engine uses a plastic camshaft, they have been made of plastic since the engine first came out in the late 90's early 2000's. And that was when the engine was made in China, before it was built in the USA.

·
Registered
460 Posts
just because it is made here doesn't mean the quality is better. you definitely see a lot more mowers offered with honda engine on the bit more expensive models but you more so get what you pay for with them.
This is debatable and I don't wish to really get into a debate about it....But what's the "Moar" you get for what you pay for? In my experience it's the longevity of the rubber and plastic parts, especially the rubber. SE asian tires suck, Japanese, Korean, Taiwan are acceptable, the rest are not and the rapid dry rot proves it so. Now If you are in certain more pleasant climates this won't show up as quickly. But in the rust belt you'll notice you can have machines that are 30+ years old and the US rubber is fine and still usable while a Chinese tire Is done in 5 years
It's a safe bet this same sub standard rubber is going to be in your seals and all throughout the machine

·
Registered
73 Posts
No one really pays attention to the made in USA label. Its not like were still in the 50's when made in the USA might have stood for something.

This is a world market now, and mostly because of the US labor rates, and the global workforce available, just about everything has its source in the world market.

Enter politics, tariffs, etc., etc., into that and putting parts from Taiwan into something assembled here and calling it made in America ... well you get the picture.
Where a product is made certainly still matters to a large number of people, including me. If I can avoid buying something made under an oppressive communist regime that blatantly violates intellectual property as well as human rights, I will do so.

You say made in USA doesn't stand for anything. Well, I'd say made in China stands for something every free person on earth should consider.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
@bison,

I am referring to quality, and not someone's politics or personal idea of what a world should or should not be.

Back in the 50's and 60's the quality of goods made here in America were pretty good, just look at the earlier machines like Ariens, etc ....

I would think that many items sold here in the US use parts from overseas companies, regardless of where the last bolt is put on.

For the most part, I feel most people will spend with their wallet, although you will always have people spend more than what an item is worth, just look at the people that buy Apple products, which by the way the last I knew are sourced out overseas.

·
Registered
103 Posts
@bison,

I am referring to quality, and not someone's politics or personal idea of what a world should or should not be.
Hear! Hear!
Much of the rest of the world considers the US an oppressive regime anymore, interjecting their military power to oppress entire nations worldwide.
We can stick our heads in the sand and wave the flag or take a cold,hard look at the situation and do better. Admittedly, a head in the sand is a much easier course to take.
In fact, with this covid thing, the majority of the world is standing back and shaking their heads in disbelief at what is happening within our borders.
Surprisingly, this is doing more to lower the status of the United States worldwide than anyone that has been elected to office ever has.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well Briggs owns Snapper and Simplicity(wonder if they will be back next year}
I have a Briggs in my John Deere E160 with the New Do your Own Oil Change Filter.
Myself Briggs engines have been around for a long time buttttt the company bought too many companies.
I think someone will buy the Briggs name and start selling JUNK like the Bell and Howell brand lol.......JT

1 - 13 of 13 Posts