Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My GF bought a B&S blower, cheaper model I assume, and promptly snapped 3 of the 4 shear pins.
I was not present so I dunno what the conditions or circumstances were but of course I get summoned to try and fix the damned thing.
Problem is that once three pins are installed the fourth one cannot be inserted because the hole on the shaft does not line up with the hole on the sleeve (? not sure what else to call this?) that surrounds the shaft.

Bad manufacturing or am I overlooking something obvious?

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
You got me baffled ......

If there are 4 auger shear pins, I am assuming 2 on the left and 2 on the right side? Should line up the auger shaft with auger and put in shear pin. Unless of course, you still have a broken piece of pin in the hole, which will have to be tapped out in order to put in new shear pin.

Maybe post a photo .....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, 4 pins, 2 on each side.
To be more clear, the holes almost line up...but only about 3/4 of the hole in the auger is visible.
She did have part of the snapped-off shear pin stuck in the hole but managed to tap it out on her own. The fact that the pin was stuck in there suggests a possible alignment issue, it being held tight in there due to the two overlapping holes being not quite lined up, creating some east/west pressure.
I'll try to get a photo tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
If the hole is cleared of the old broken pin and it will not align, I would assume something on the bucket bent. With no pin installed the auger should spin freely and have some play left to right. Does it? My guess is that there is no play left to right. Or should I say not enough to get the alignment you need? Check that the bucket edge is not bent or a burr is jambed between the auger and auger shaft preventing alignment. Dumb question maybe, but are you sure they are the correct pins? Is this the kind of shear pin that has a step in it? Or sometimes they have a separate bushing to act like a step in the pin. In these cases the holes on one side of the auger is larger than the opposite side. You should be able to spin the auger and look at the shaft hole through the larger auger hole and inspect it.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Also, if 3 of the 4 shear pins were snapped, and one had to be tapped out, I would surmise that the auger shaft housing itself was probably tweaked by a twist, thus possibly off setting the shear pin hole.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If there were 4 shear pins in it before your girlfriend snapped them, ... you ought to be able to stick 4 new ones back in it.
Try using a ... "Line-Up Tool"

Medical thermometer Temperature Wood Measuring instrument Thermometer

·
Registered
879 Posts
Did she tighten the first shear pin before she tried to install the second pin? If so, try loosening the nut until all the holes align and the second pin is in.

Reactions: Darby

·
Registered
607 Posts
Briggs does indeed call them "pins", but they are bolts, so yes there could be some over tightening involved:oops:. Beyond semantics it's common the items installed designed to shear will actually smear on the auger shaft and give you a false sense of where the old hole actually is. You can reach in to the impeller area and turn that fan/impeller and hopefully the auger shaft will turn also. If not you have bigger problems. Do so to get a better straight on view of your auger/shaft holes alignment. It's also easier to tilt the machine back onto it's handles to get you up off the ground trying to peer up and in.

Auto part Household hardware Tool Technology Circle

Finger Wrist Thumb Auto part Elbow

Font Auto part Cylinder Metal Jewellery

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
A simple google search for Briggs and Stratton Shear pins shows different styles of shear pins and some shear bolts. I think you can find the terms are loosely used.

Hand Office supplies Musical instrument accessory Tool Font

and these styles below which are a nut and a bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi guys. Sorry, got preoccupied with other things. Thanks for all the replies.

They are shear pins, exactly as shown in Toro 8-2-4's post, so no tightening involved.
I tried the rotation move suggested by vangasman, above. That helped, almost got things lined up again but not quite.
In the end I ended up drilling the hole out just a little bit. I hope I don't regret that but it's working well once again.

I'd sure like to know how she pooched 3 of 4 pins in the first place, tho... :rolleyes:

Thanks again for all the suggestions - you guys are the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts