Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the repeat pic, but I just got home from the hospital. [4 days] Used my blower for seven homes, did a little hand shoveling, and slipped on ice between my garage and my back door. I now have three Titanium screws in my hip. 8-12 week recovery. I asked the doc if he got the screws from Home Depot to use with his Black & Decker drill. LOL Please be more careful than I was. Note the dry sidewalk a few houses behind me. They have hot water pipes embedded in the concrete with a separate boiler. It costs him $100.00 each storm.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
Well that stinks! Ice under snow is the worst because you have no way of knowing it's there.

A little off-topic: the heating pipes you mention, are they under the whole driveway or just the sidewalk?

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
That's just awful.
Prayers for a speedy recovery without any after effects.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry for you misfortune. Best wishes, and hope you have a speedy recovery. We have a doctor up on the mountain with a long, steep, S bendy drive that is heated (electric I think) sure works good always ice free, nice black asphalt. I assume he plows the real heavy dumps.
Cheers and best of luck to you.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh man that's the shits. I went for a flip last year and hit my noggin on pavement. All it takes is one second ,being in the wrong spot, even if you are aware of the surroundings. Hope you recover quickly. At least now you can watch all the news updates of your new president. Sorry about your luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
mend well my friend and take it easy

·
Registered
86 Posts
I feel your pain.I had my hip replaced 10yrs ago.Not fun.A little tip! Take it easy but don't stop moving. If you sit on the couch and don't do anything because "it hurts" It will cost you in the long run.A little more each time out will do you much better.Heal well.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks so much for the kind comments. I will be getting rehab at home soon. They offered a home nurse to help me to the bathroom, shower, & getting into bed. [I declined.] They gave me a toilet lift, [not needed] a shower chair, [not needed] and a walker. The walker is my savior. I can hobble around by myself. My wife says I'm a terrible patient.
I went to the hospital at 11:30 Sunday. They did not get me to a room until 9:00pm. My wife in action: By 7:00pm she started walking around by the nurse's station. Next I hear her yell "Hey! Why are you on Facebook when my husband is in agony?" LOL
The guy with the heated sidewalk also had half his driveway, and his walkway done. He looks out the window drinking coffee, while we shovel & blow. Nice to afford that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ouch, that's 8-10 weeks of zero fun, definitely sucks. I've already slipped on ice on the lawn path cut from the shed to the driveway once this winter and made a spectacular save yesterday. Perhaps now is a good time to wack the ice melt to it and wear the ice grips. Lessons are usually learned the hard way, unfortunately. Definitely take it easy for a bit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry to hear of the broken hip; hoping for the best and complete healing ASAP.

We all have to remain ever vigilant when working/walking around snowy/icy driveways and walks. Early in December I let my guard down and fell on some black ice hidden under a skiff of snow, just taking out the garbage. Broke four ribs; ER doc said he's seen much worse this winter. OUCH!!! Back in the saddle after 8 weeks of R&R.

Now I wear Stabilicers Maxx when ever I am snowblowing or shoveling. After the worst ice storm in recent memory, switched to Katahoola (sp) mini crampons. Stay safe everybody.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ouch! That must have been very painful.

A few years ago, a neighbor of mine was using a step ladder so he could reach his garage roof with a roof rake. He fell off and broke both ankles! He was in a wheelchair and then on crutches for a long time. It really doesn't take much sometimes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts