Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to drain the gasoline from my snowblower for the end of the season. I loosened the clamp from the shutoff to the hose going to the carburetor. Then I tried to get the hose off. I used a screwdriver to pry the hose off and eventually snapped off the shutoff from the gas tank.

Two questions (maybe three):

What parts do I need to buy to fix this? Maybe just a shutoff that can fit securely
P4040032.JPG
into the hole in the gas tank?

And, what can I do to make the hose come out of the shutoff next time so I won't break the hose or anything else?

Here is hoping that we do not get more snow before I can repair this.

Thanks all.
P4040033.JPG
P4040034.JPG

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I don't know the parts, but I do know that I would paint the tank before I put it back on.

·
Super Moderator
1,098 Posts
Both the valve and the rubber bushing are widely available on the 'Net, do a search for 'Ariens fuel valve with grommet', look at images and find a match. I got results from both ebay and the 'Zon among others.

As to not popping it out again the best I can advise is to hold back on the valve body with a channel locks or wrench while you twist the fuel line off.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
My recently acquired Ariens has a similar tank, the previous owner had replaced the fuel shut off with a common B&S style shut off and short piece of gas line. As Scott mentioned above the rubber bushing and fittings should be readily available on line.

The tank will clean up well with some mild degreaser or soap (as tank is plastic make sure it is safe for plastic) and a Scotch Brite type pad. As you have the rubber bushing and filter sock removed, it is a good time to clean out the inside of tank.

Next time you drain the tank I would remove the fuel with a siphon hose or pump or remove the nut on the carb bowl and drain from there.

20210327_141013.jpg

20210328_161225.jpg

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
@Ziggy,

I have the those exact two items ... use them all the time .. the battery pump is like one of the best items I ever purchased .. no more lifting and fueling from a gas can .. I pump in gas fill-ups on all my equipment .. :)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
My recently acquired Ariens has a similar tank, the previous owner had replaced the fuel shut off with a common B&S style shut off and short piece of gas line. As Scott mentioned above the rubber bushing and fittings should be readily available on line.

The tank will clean up well with some mild degreaser or soap (as tank is plastic make sure it is safe for plastic) and a Scotch Brite type pad. As you have the rubber bushing and filter sock removed, it is a good time to clean out the inside of tank.

Next time you drain the tank I would remove the fuel with a siphon hose or pump or remove the nut on the carb bowl and drain from there.

View attachment 177813 View attachment 177814

View attachment 177811

View attachment 177812
The tank is plastic? Ha Ha Ha
Looked all rusty in the picture. :geek:

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
The new plastic replacement tanks come with a protruded, molded in nipple, as you put your own in-line shut-off on .....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Big Ed, it is all rusty as you thought, the rust is from the metal brackets that hold the tank. Moisture over 40 to 50 years gets in between the brackets and tank causing the rust.
I am going to sand, prime and paint the brackets on my machine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tank is plastic? Ha Ha Ha
Looked all rusty in the picture. :geek:
Hi Ed,

The tank is plastic. But the support for the tank is metal. The rust belongs to the metal support.
Big Ed, it is all rusty as you thought, the rust is from the metal brackets that hold the tank. Moisture over 40 to 50 years gets in between the brackets and tank causing the rust.
I am going to sand, prime and paint the brackets on my machine.
Good idea.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is this what I need? How would I install the grommet and shutoff into the tank?

The screen is bent. But there does not look like there are any tears in to. Should I be able to use this shutoff?

P4050036.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
That looks like the right grommet. Did you compare the size they give to the one you have?

I like to reuse the original parts as much as I can because they are of superior quality than what you get today. If the old shut off valve worked before and didn't leak I would be tempted to re install it after straightening it and confirming the screen is intact. I would clean the screen with carb cleaner before reinstalling.

If you want to use a new shut off valve, I would buy an actual B&S unit or similar quality as well as a new screen filter fitting. I have found the shut off valves vendors usually supply with the cheap Chinese carbs are defective and start leaking within months. The metal and plastic valves that come with the grommet in that picture may be of poor quality based on the price. Parts on line in Canada are much more expensive to buy, and for $7.99 that seems cheap for the grommet and 2 shut off valves, maybe in the US the pricing does not seem as cheap and they are actually good quality?

I would apply a little light grade oil like 3 in 1 or dish soap to the rubber grommet to make it slippery and easier to press into the tank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks like the right grommet. Did you compare the size they give to the one you have?

I like to reuse the original parts as much as I can because they are of superior quality than what you get today. If the old shut off valve worked before and didn't leak I would be tempted to re install it after straightening it and confirming the screen is intact. I would clean the screen with carb cleaner before reinstalling.

If you want to use a new shut off valve, I would buy an actual B&S unit or similar quality as well as a new screen filter fitting. I have found the shut off valves vendors usually supply with the cheap Chinese carbs are defective and start leaking within months. The metal and plastic valves that come with the grommet in that picture may be of poor quality based on the price. Parts on line in Canada are much more expensive to buy, and for $7.99 that seems cheap for the grommet and 2 shut off valves, maybe in the US the pricing does not seem as cheap and they are actually good quality?

I would apply a little light grade oil like 3 in 1 or dish soap to the rubber grommet to make it slippery and easier to press into the tank.
Ziggy65, I like your answers. Thank you. I think that they are are showing the shutoffs as a reference and to confuse the buyers.

Can I straighten the screen out carefully with compressed air? I shall spray it with carb cleaner afterwards.

I expect that the size is right or they get it back. The tank hole is a little under 1/2 ".

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
They also sell interior tank filters, such as the ones you see in 2 cycle machines, that will work fine also ... or just put in an in-line fuel filter in the gas line .... many options.

·
Super Moderator
10,821 Posts
I came across a couple that might fit. Maybe someone else can say for sure ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Ziggy,

I have the those exact two items ... use them all the time .. the battery pump is like one of the best items I ever purchased .. no more lifting and fueling from a gas can .. I pump in gas fill-ups on all my equipment .. :)
Where do you get the battery powered pump? That would save me problems in draining the tank and ruining parts?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Not sure if you are in the US or Canada, but Amazon has dozens to choose from, stores like Harbor Freight or Princess Auto.

Make sure that the one you choose will fit into the neck of the gas tank. The one I bought is great for filling all my OPE gas tanks, but will not fit into my older Ariens tanks like yours for draining. It does fit into my 2018 Ariens tank, but I use the bulb style syphon hose for draining my tanks.

Reactions: oneacer
1 - 18 of 18 Posts