Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used Ariens Professional 28 (Model #926038) last winter. It's my first Ariens after running the past decade with Bolens blowers. It was a light winter but she preformed pretty well. I was putting her away for the summer and the swing plate snapped (see pics). Anyone ever seen this before? I don't think the poor girl has ever been maintained. Shes getting a new swing plate, a new friction disc, new drive shaft bearings, new bushings, new shoes and skids, a new impeller bearing, and new paint on all the rust spots. I should have just bought a new one, LOL.

·
Retired Moderator
9,913 Posts
Starting to sound like a boat. Just tossing money into a hole in the water (snow). :giggle:
Starting with a good machine, other than some regular maintenance you should hopefully be good for a decade or more.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did the bearing just seize totally? I have seen a few with mouse damage that are corroded from the urine, but that looks like under water or salt air? I have seen a couple lawn tractors/decks all rusted and seized up from being left in grassy areas, but usually the interior areas don't get that much corrosion. Hope your augers and wheels have some grease from factory left on there. I have spent an afternoon or two fighting with that era of Ariens getting the wheels off, especially the starboard side. Never seen that failure you have there, no. I've seen a couple very old 40+ where the bracket for the drive pulley shaft assembly cracked from the tractor housing, but this is new to me. I'm guessing it was fairly obvious something broke when it happened😅

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did the bearing just seize totally? I have seen a few with mouse damage that are corroded from the urine, but that looks like under water or salt air? I have seen a couple lawn tractors/decks all rusted and seized up from being left in grassy areas, but usually the interior areas don't get that much corrosion. Hope your augers and wheels have some grease from factory left on there. I have spent an afternoon or two fighting with that era of Ariens getting the wheels off, especially the starboard side. Never seen that failure you have there, no. I've seen a couple very old 40+ where the bracket for the drive pulley shaft assembly cracked from the tractor housing, but this is new to me. I'm guessing it was fairly obvious something broke when it happened😅
The bearing was fine actually. Not really sure how it separated like that. Perhaps there was a weak spot there in the steel?? I have noticed little pieces of mouse tufting a few times and some small bits of mouse like nest material so I'm pretty sure there were mice in the machine at some point. It's funny you mention the wheels, the starboard wheel is rust welded on the axle. I tried penetrant, heat and hammering and it will not come off. I'm resolved to just let it forever be married to the axle. As to the last comment, I only noticed it was broken when I went to start it up to prep it for summer storage. It did make a nifty clanging sound as it tore up the friction disc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks pretty weldable. I had a similar break on a Honda HS80 auger pulley. Was able to weld both sides, though.

That's a fine job! I didn't even think about welding as I don't have a welder. $100 to replace the entire part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts