Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sears Single Stage Electric Snowthrower: Model C950-52903-0 - 20inch. Ive had it to clean off my deck for about 6 years. It now runs poorly or not at all. I suspect the brushes are toast. I took it a part and the brush wire is not attached to the small metal things that slide into the motor slots (both sides). I've taken the brush wires into local electric service people with no luck getting replacement. Same goes for on-line searches, as these blowers are discontinued. Hate like heck to throw this blower in the garbage! Can I make some out of "brush wire" and somehow affix them back onto the metal things? Where can I get wire etc etc? Thanks!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
You may have luck with finding someone who repairs vacuum cleaners especially those that are commercial grade, they may be able to find some that are close or just make you some brushes.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks....not a bad idea. We live in a small northern community in northern Ontario, so I'm kinda limited

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again RedO. Yah, I've been all over that site. I'll forward the Part# along with a photo.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
That blower is also known as a Briggs and Stratton Power Products Model 620000x30ND. The parts manual is here, but gives the same part number for the brush: https://www.arkansas-ope.com/MURRAY_IPL_620000X30.pdf

761144MA replaced brush 761144, so maybe there'll be some of the older ones somewhere?

The entire motor is available for $115: http://www.gensysparts.com/briggs-stratton-motor-elec-pm-12a-760912ma/
I've seen notes online where the brushes were replaced on that motor but did not fix the problems due to internal brush ring damage.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
So, backing up, if parts are tough to find. What do you need to fix, exactly? If a wire came off the metal brush holder or something, can it be soldered back on?

Or did I misunderstand the problem?

If it's the brush itself that you need, could they be cleaned up? If they're maybe just a chunk of carbon/graphite, could you buy bigger ones, and form them to shape? File them down, etc?

I've never had to do anything like that myself, so just kinds of thinking out loud.

Alternately, is the whole motor available? Maybe you could get a new motor for $15 or something from a used parts machine.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you havent tried it yet. I have taken old brush sets that were no longer available and measured the brush and holder then with an old one in front of me go to Amazon and type "carbon electric motor brushes" you can then scroll through the list and pics when you see your type of holder or style check the size. I have gotten some that were close and filed them to the size I needed. I have also found exact ones that were for a totally different motor.

Remember someone else made that motor not sears, it would have been a company like emerson or baldor or japan motors etc.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Also you may get lucky and find a motor Id number or name that is from the MFG that can be used to back door parts . It will not be the sears #

·
Registered
63 Posts
It sounds strange, but You could try your Hardware store. I have seen some of the common size brushes in the "drawer section" of hardware isle where the odd size nuts & bolts are.
I think I saw some at Lowes too.
You may get lucky and find something that will work until you can find the OE brushes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts