Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys....

Im building a 24" SHO bucket from a 32" bucket. I know Ariens built some of them over the years, but I enjoy fabricating my own equipment and thier modifications. I'll try to keep good pixx posted as I progress as that will help others if they want to build thier own.

I believe they call it a SHO due to the fact it is a 14" impeller housing and the coveted 6 vaned impeller, rather than a 12" impeller with 3 or 4 vanes.
Guessing it should be a beast of a machine with an RPM of 1800 at the impeller and a 12HP Briggs ... on a 24" bucket.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Hi Shaw351,

I'm getting ready to watch too....!

I enjoy working with snowblowers as well (though I do not have the equipment I need to get myself out of control :icon-hgtg:).

1800rpm for a 14" impeller may be a bit too much if you ask me (I'll search trough what I found a while ago to be ideal speed-less than 1400rpm for a 14" impeller if I remember right).

"SHO" means "Super High Output" (faster impeller, further throwing distance) but I believe it has nothing to do with the 14" 6 blade impeller (I think this is just the "924....?" series).

The one thing I'd suggest is changing the shape of the housing to the shape that they have on the current models (meaning if you look from the side it has a straight line from the upper part of the auger housing to the part where it starts to curve instead of having a "step"). You can make it a little bit taller at the same time... :blush:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hey guys....

Im building a 24" SHO bucket from a 32" bucket. I know Ariens built some of them over the years, but I enjoy fabricating my own equipment and thier modifications. I'll try to keep good pixx posted as I progress as that will help others if they want to build thier own.

I believe they call it a SHO due to the fact it is a 14" impeller housing and the coveted 6 vaned impeller, rather than a 12" impeller with 3 or 4 vanes.
Guessing it should be a beast of a machine with an RPM of 1800 at the impeller and a 12HP Briggs ... on a 24" bucket.

Cant wait to see it What size upper and lower pulley gets you that high of and rpm??
Iam going through my 924128 1332le now top pulley measures 2.75 iam going to bump that up to 3.25
My fan speed stock was only 1085 or so
stock specs say its [email protected] rpm the impeller bearing was toast so iam hoping thats why it was low i set fast idle at 3750
Iam hoping the 3.25 will get me to the 1350 rpm range
Stripping this thing for paint has been more work then i thought
1800 rpm you might blow snow 90 feet lol

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Wow. That's going to be sick. I am thinking of doing something similar with a back half of a st1336 and front of a st824 and a pro ci gear box set up. I can wait to see what you do to get some ideas.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heres a link to my Franken Blower video, check out my garage for most of the build.

36" bucket off of an Ariens garden tractor, custom mated to a Troy Bilt tractor, 16 hp honda clone engine, and double belted for power transmission. Single belt couldn't handle the 1800 rpm load of the impeller.
We had about 12" of powder snow that i was moving in the video.

At 1800 rpm and double belts on a couple of my custom machines... ive found it to be the happy medium and have had no issues. My auger shafts have been machined to a 3" key engagement rather than the factory 7/8 woodruff key, gearboxes have been disassembled / inspected / 00 grease replaced the gear oil.
My 32" machine has been flawless for years now. I've experimented with higher & lower rpm's, and settled on 1800 or so. Everybody has thier opinions and thats ok, this just happens to be mine.

Im going to be keeping the single belt for now and see how it handles the snow. If it wears the 1/2" belt prematurely I'll update to double belts next year.

To achieve the approximate 1800 rpm's at the impeller I have a 3" engine pulley and a 6" impeller pulley, engine running 3600 rpm.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently built an ariens 28" pro from a homeowner model for my son. I modified it to have a 7" impeller pulley and had to rework the brake. It's important to have that function for safety. Here are the pixx....

All done ....

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
You always seem to amaze me with your projects, I'll be watching this one.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Very Nice!

Heres a link to my Franken Blower video, check out my garage for most of the build.

https://youtu.be/E2Ol_6qj0No

36" bucket off of a garden tractor, custom mated to a Troy Bilt tractor, 16 hp honda clone engine, and double belted for power transmission. Single belt couldn't handle the 1800 rpm load of the impeller.
We had about 12" of powder snow that i was moving in the video.

At 1800 rpm and double belts on a couple of my custom machines... ive found it to be the happy medium and have had no issues. My auger shafts have been machined to a 3" key engagement rather than the factory 7/8 woodruff key, gearboxes have been disassembled / inspected / 00 grease replaced the gear oil.
My 32" machine has been flawless for years now. I've experimented with higher & lower rpm's, and settled on 1800 or so. Everybody has thier opinions and thats ok, this just happens to be mine.

Im going to be keeping the single belt for now and see how it handles the snow. If it wears the 1/2" belt prematurely I'll update to double belts next year.

To achieve the approximate 1800 rpm's at the impeller I have a 3" engine pulley and a 6" impeller pulley, engine running 3600 rpm.
Ya need to put that video to music, say "the william tell overture"

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya need to put that video to music, say "the william tell overture"

Thanks... Thats Awesome!!!

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been busy with yard work, got the bucket cut up today. Will try to get more done and post up pixx for ya.

·
Registered
270 Posts
"yard work"???

Been busy with yard work, got the bucket cut up today. Will try to get more done and post up pixx for ya.

:huh: Yard Arbeit? Das ist ein schmutziges Wort in meinem Haus, du sprichst eine Fremdsprache! Darum habe ich eine junge Frau!

:signlol:

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it welded up....

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you need rakes let me know. I have a couple of the saraded kind. Just not sure if both are the same side.
Thanks for the offer Mike. Im going to modify these from the 32" bucket.

Just FYI on rakes.... Usually....

Homeowner machines with aluminum gearboxes have 15" diameter rakes

Pro machines with cast iron gearboxes have 16" diameter rakes.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got more fabrication done today on this project.....

Cut apart the rakes to get needed size.

Lined up on a temporary shaft to get measurements and alignments.

Materials removed from the rakes.

All welded up.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Took a 24" auger shaft from an aluminum gearbox, machined a long keyway and made a key. I do this to all my big cast iron gearboxes anyways, as the factory ariens 7/8" woodruff key is usually worn.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just have to drill and tap new zerk fittings, and shear pin holes. As it turns out after fabricating the first rake it looked weird for some reason...... Ahhhhh... on 24" auger setups there is no middle support on each rake, just on the ends. It was more work to fabricate, but now my machine will be stronger than original. Of course the middle support landed right where the shear pin hole needs to be !! So i cut out the middle part and welded the center to the support.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its about 95% complete now. Just final touches and I'll have to rework the brake to fit the new pulley.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts