Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have some time to do it now, I will prepare my Platinum 30 SHO now for winter. As I have to project the snow as far as I can, I have two options to increase the snow projection. 1- Replacing the 3 blades impeller with a 6 blades impeller. 2- Keeping the 3 blades impeller and adding rubber pads at the end of the blades. Which one should be the best. I already adjusted the motor so it will rev a little higher than it was stock. I will perhaps increase pulley size from 2.75 t0 3.25 inches. Thanks

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'd go with the 2nd option. It's a much cheaper option and you'll be done in no time. By the way, I have a 6 bladed 10hp Ariens with the impeller mod and a 3 bladed 10hp Craftsman with the impeller mod - both throw snow real far - I have to be careful on my driveway between houses and of coarse cars in the street.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Never tried the paddles. Icing of the paddles to the impeller housing is too big a risk for me, even though I clean the area of snow after each use. We had 311.9 cms (over 10 ft) of snow last winter and I did 8 driveways several times each snowfall. I have one machine so it has to work reliably every time.

I have the 6 bladed Ariens impeller which works much better than the stock 3 bladed impeller. The clearance to the impeller housing is closer with the 6 bladed than the 3 bladed. Cost to replace the impeller is way more expensive, but you are getting a real performance upgrade with no downsides.

Good luck

·
Registered
579 Posts
Never tried the paddles. Icing of the paddles to the impeller housing is too big a risk for me, even though I clean the area of snow after each use. We had 311.9 cms (over 10 ft) of snow last winter and I did 8 driveways several times each snowfall. I have one machine so it has to work reliably every time.

I have the 6 bladed Ariens impeller which works much better than the stock 3 bladed impeller. The clearance to the impeller housing is closer with the 6 bladed than the 3 bladed. Cost to replace the impeller is way more expensive, but you are getting a real performance upgrade with no downsides.

Good luck
Town, never had a problem with icing with any of the impeller mods I've down..., used high quality, thick, truck mud flaps. Seem to be good for me and the lake effect weather we experience here in the Buffalo/Lackawanna area of Western New York.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done the paddle mod with success with my modified 926LE . The only drawback I saw was the metal with no paint around the impeller casing. It seemed to remove the paint really fast even if I took care to adjust the pads with minimum friction to the casing.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've done the paddle mod with success with my modified 926LE . The only drawback I saw was the metal with no paint around the impeller casing. It seemed to remove the paint really fast even if I took care to adjust the pads with minimum friction to the casing.
Spray Fluid Film on those areas and you should be fine. You'll have friction with pads touching or not, snow, ice and whatever is being fed into the impelling housing will cause paint to break down eventually. JMTC.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Spray Fluid Film on those areas and you should be fine. You'll have friction with pads touching or not, snow, ice and whatever is being fed into the impelling housing will cause paint to break down eventually. JMTC.
The paint on the inside of the impeller housing was completely removed within the first year. When the auger gearbox seals were replaced I painted the housing again with Ariens paint and still with stock 3 blade impeller the paint was removed from housing. So the impeller housing has been without paint for years and does not seem to be a problem except visually.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I would not add to the impeller pulley unless you up the horsepower......the rubber impeller modification is a no brainer in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I would not add to the impeller pulley unless you up the horsepower......the rubber impeller modification is a no brainer in my opinion.

Mr cranny he has the 20 ft lbs motor they put the 6 blade on the 1024 who with only 15.5 ft lbs if Mr town says it helps he knows his stuff
myself iam frugal I wouldn't change it out up the rpms for free to 3700 add impel kit 10 bucks will be more then he needs unless he needs a tractor

here is the 1336 with 17.5 ft lbs motor with and impeller kit and 6 blade impeller

·
Registered
983 Posts
Mr cranny he has the 20 ft lbs motor they put the 6 blade on the 1024 who with only 15.5 ft lbs if Mr town says it helps he knows his stuff
myself iam frugal I wouldn't change it out up the rpms for free to 3700 add impel kit 10 bucks will be more then he needs unless he needs a tractor

here is the 1336 with 17.5 ft lbs motor with and impeller kit and 6 blade impeller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93TbPGL3Fm8
I think @cranman was talking about @legarem adding a (dual?) 3.25" impeller pulley on the crankshaft as probably needing more engine power than is necessary to run the 2.75" pulley. Since the Honda 1332 may be running a 3.25" pulley (from earlier discussion on engine pulley size in relation to optimum impeller tip speed) and has less power than the Ariens AX 414cc engine this may actually be an option for the super powerful Ariens Platinum 30 SHO. To use a dual pulley is the issue and not the driving power of the engine. Solutions to installing a 3.25" dual pulley have been proposed and discussed but are beyond my limited competence to execute.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My 926LE with a Honda GX390 has a 3.25 pulley, pads and a lillle motor RPM increase. It didn't lack any power with a full bucket of snow at low speed. As it is still sitting in my shed for fall sale, I will transfer the 3.25 pulley to the SHO with the straps. The 2.75 will go to the 926LE. The Honda GX 390 is a fine motor but I will NEVER use again a Honda GX motor during winter. I had to battle regularly with carb freezing. Also the 926LE didn't have any autoturn or someting like that. Now I have to decide if I go with 6 blades fan or not.

·
Registered
579 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93TbPGL3Fm8
Picture/video clip is worth a thousand words!:wink2:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Picture/video clip is worth a thousand words!:wink2:

And he's throwing the snow in front of the snowblower. If it was on the right side, it would perhaps throw further. I also think that the chute design on these older ariens series was better designed than the ones we have now. There's a little more chute angle than we have now so the snow goes further instead of higher like the design we have now. To get the same snow angle projection to blow the snow at the furthest point, we have to lower the chute end on the modern Ariens. This means more snow friction at the end of the chute. You just have to look where the paint is missing in your chute. I use my snowblower without any chute end angle and I clearly see the friction point inside the end of the chute. Snow projection mist on these old ariens chute also seems to be less pronounced. than the newer ones.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
As long as the blower has plenty of torque, the increase of the pulley by 1/2 inch shouldn't drag it down. All of the Ariens I've played with are Tecumseh engines, and I wouldn't dare increase the impeller speed without upping the horsepower. Last year I swapped out an early 24 inch 924 series teardrop bucket to an ST 1236, narrowed the axles, did the impeller modification, and after trying it out stock, swapped the 2.75 inch pulley to a 3.5 inch pulley. I cut off the impeller part of the pulley on the lathe, and just added the 3.5 inch pulley from Tractor Supply in it's place. With the 12 hp overhead valve Tecumseh, it was quite impressive with the faster impeller speed, but remember this is on a 24 inch housing. This years project is a ST1032 that I'm replacing the engine with a 414 cc Loncin winter engine I bought a few years ago and haven't used yet. I'll do the impeller mod on three of the six blades, try it and then up the impeller speed depending on performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As I previously bought a dual belt kit, I used the old single belt pulley to do a shim for the 3.25 inches new pulley

Attachments

·
Registered
983 Posts
As I previously bought a dual belt kit, I used the old single belt pulley to do a shim for the 3.25 inches new pulley
So you bought or made that dual belt 3.25" pulley? What belt length are you using on your SHO?

Theoretical impeller speed would be 1376 rpm at 3,600 engine rpm, 1414 at 3,700 rpm, 1491 at 3,900 rpm. Are you getting those kinds of performance?

I am very impressed.

Edit: Looking at the engine location on the chassis there is no metal lip to prevent water getting down to drive train, so it does not look like an SHO?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The picture is taken from 926 LE. Before selling it, I will take this pulley and place it on my SHO if the belts I am using with this pulley can be used on the SHO i'll use it. The belt number I use with the 3-25 inch pulley is: mxv 4-400. I had to reform the belt guide and the groove adjustment on the belt tensioner to fit the new belts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is more belt picture and my beloved monster. If It had at least an autoturn I would have keept it. For carb icing i punched two big holes at the air box cover side top facing the muffler and I placed a guard between the cover and the muffler so It takes warm air. I blocked the air box normal duct . It seemed to work correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hi @legarem, So how did you make (or buy) the 3.25" duel pulley (or is it two single pulleys)? I would like to try it. That belt is 1/2" by 40" long, so that is great to know as a starting point. Do you know the center to center distance from crankshaft to the impeller shaft pulley center? I can adjust the belt length from there.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts