Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm 100% buying a snowblower. I spent 3 hours with my girlfriend shovelling my 6 car driveway yesterday and Only had 2/3 of it done when i decided that was enough of that for the night.

From talking to neighbours and looking online it seems ariens and toro are great worry free units. So I've been drawn toward the toro 826OE model for some reason, I like that it has stronger gears so less shear pins if any are needed.

Power Max 826 OE 26 inch. Two-stage Electric Start Gas Snow Blower Home Depot Canada

Any opinions from you guys would be great as I still haven't bought one but will very shortly. Oh, we normally get 12" of snow, it can be wet, my driveway is basically flat and is newly paved.

I've been told the newer toro units use a plastic impeller. Do they seem to hold up?

My neighbour has an ariens 921024 model and it does fantastic in our shared driveway. 2/3 of it is mine and 1/3 his. I'm torn on which brand to get. I hear good and bad about both, I just know it has to last a long time because I don't feel like buying one every 5 years.

One nice thing is toro uses a Briggs and Stratton engine while ariens has gone to their own AX series of engines. Whether or not that's of benefit I'm not sure yet. Also the ariens with the AX254 engine puts out 12.5ft.lbs. haven't been able to find what the toro unit puts out yet.

I'm not set on that specific ariens unit, just an easy one to compare to because my neighbour owns one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Briggs and Stratton are made in china. I don't think they are what they used to be. Personally I would choose the Honda,it's a bit more $$ but worth it in the long run. If you take good care of a Honda it should last a good 20yrs.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
hello money man, welcome to SBF!! toro does not use a plastic impeller, the chute and acs are plastic though

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a good Honda snowblower I can get for under $1500cad? I've seen a lot of them in different stores but they're all $2499+ tax.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
Is there a good Honda snowblower I can get for under $1500cad? I've seen a lot of them in different stores but they're all $2499+ tax.
what model is the honda

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Now on your question, there's far more than just that. First off, I'm assuming you're looking at new but have you thought about used? There are some really good machines that can be had for less than new and likely will last longer than many of those shiny new machines. If you're mechanically inclined, have some tools and time, it's definitely worth considering. My machines are around 40+ years and still going strong.
If you're looking new only, then you're in the right area to ask along with neighbors. One suggestion for new is look through dealers. They supply support and can insure a machine is right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
what blower?

Get a Honda , they last forever and are extremely reliable. Mine starts first pull every time.

Whatever you do do not go to Home depot or any other big box store.
If you need to get it serviced they just send it out to get done.
What model of Honda? that depends on where you live. I have a Honda HS828 track drive , but I live in the snow belt.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was told by my uncle to stick with a 24", 28" tops because they are to hard to handle. Any truth to this? My driveway is flat and basically a rectangle, but that's been my pure objection to looking at anything larger than a 24-26". As for the Honda I'm not sure on the model I may be able to look it up though.

I have a local dealer that services toro and ariens units along with a long list of other small engine manufacturers. So I'm just basically looking for whatever one will do best in my application. I hate buying something without having all the facts.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Welcome to SBF Money!

+1 on considering used machines if you're handy. The SBF family is a tremendous resource to help you out if you hit a roadblock.

Can't help much with the used machines other than the fact that my landscaping buddy has been putting a '14 Toro 726 with the OHV Briggs through it's paces. He hasn't had any complaints so far...actually loves it. There are HUGE Ariens & Honda followings & even customer-support here on SBF if you decide to go one of those routes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just seems like every snowblower around me that's used is either beat to death looking or is priced so high I may as well buy new.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts