Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What in the name of ZEUS is this???????????? The motor is a 1976 Lincoln I was only 5 years old when these were coming out of The Motor City oot There in Detroit.:eek:mg::emoticon-south-park

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
by ol school do you mean redneck?

i've had air cleaners that used oil but never an oil filter? maybe that is where he hid his stash.

i'm sure an ol timer knows what that is?

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
I saw one once at a car show and the guy told me it was a baffle to reduce the 4-barrel air induction noise when you stomped on it. I think he said it was hollow?

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
I've seen them before but never asked what they were for

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
looks like an intake muffler to me.......but why would anyone want to silence the sweet song of a big block sucking air down the throat of a 4bbl ???

·
Registered
551 Posts
Those were to reduce the 'roar' of the intake noise. It was a luxury car and noise reduction was important. GM used a snorkel air cleaner that choked off the air to the carb. Used to flip the air cleaner lid on my parents 455 Buick, boy was that loud! Would then chirp 2nd gear around 45 mph.

This one looked like a motorcraft oil filter can, if you poke around will also find a vacuum tank that looked like a can of tomato soup.

Ain't no redneck

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
That I believe is a disposable intake air oil bath precleaner they work wonders and can remove 95 percent plus of dust due to the capture mesh and the oil in the base of the cartridge.

·
Registered
842 Posts
they were there to make that 460 make less noise, when one hammered the go pedal kind if like like a intake pre silencer
that old number ten we saw with a hose to it, was needed to hold extra vacuum to keep the vac operated heater controls working for a bit when the go pedal was hammered on if not they would throw the heat from the floor to the default defrost mode

they also used them way back when we still had vac operated windshield wipers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts