Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It this the original engine? Air cleaner? I'm interested but it just seems a little dicey to me.

ARIENS SNOW BLOWER

·
Registered
407 Posts
It may be original motor (6hp sounds right for era) BUT- that is not suppose to have any air cleaner on it. That was added. The belt cover was home made too. It is suppose to have a metal cover over entire carb area too. Look at blowers on Sscotsman web site and you'll see. To much 'cobbling' for me.. I'd pass on it- you would have to get the parts missing and take the other junk off it.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I like this statement, IT WAS UNPROFFESIONALLY REPAINTED AT ONE TIME. :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
Looks like a '62. And as Geno stated def not the orig air cleaner, belt cover is home brew, and paint is no bueno. Engine is correct though. Personally, I am not a fan of those half effort repaint jobs. All that paint is going to start peeling off and its gonna look like a train wreck. I love orig paint even if it's not great, that "survivor" look appeals to me. Unless you doing a "frame off" resto, lol. I would avoid this one...been tampered with too much. If it was $50 maybe take a chance, but not for $150.
If you do get it, I have the correct belt cover and carb cover for it in my spare parts pile..lmk.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
Its a 1961 or 1962 Ariens..engine is probably original. The price is ok, but not great, assuming everything works properly..yes, it shouldn't have the air filter, and the "heater box" is missing..seems the air cleaner could clog with blowing snow and freeze over, impeding air flow to the carb, so that has to go...if I spefically wanted a'61 or '62 I would offer $50 for it, considering it needs the missing heater box...overall I would rate this one a "pass"..

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help guys. Like I said... Little too dicey for me. I'm not too well versed in the older Ariens but my gut was correct. Gonna pass. It's too far for me to drive too, and then get him down to a decent price.

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
For me the big problem is it looks like they used a filter housing that uses a paper element and they have no protection for the carbs linkage against snow and ice getting in there and jamming the throttle and or choke.

You don't need an air filter. Almost all snow blowers come without them but you do need a carb cover to protect the linkage.

Good solid Ariens just needs some Chevrolet Engine Orange and a little TLC.

·
Registered
864 Posts
"The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten"

let me add

buying made in USA is an IQ test....it you're not doing it, you flunked.

It's a Flight to Quality.

nice Ariens...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts