Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I got my hands on a brand new blower with a B&S motor that had a broken con rod due to being run with a lack of oil. I have torn down the motor, spec'd everything and all is good except the decompression arm on the camshaft that is there to ease starting, is broken. I'm not taking about the exhaust lobe, just the little arm that keeps the exhaust valve open until the motor starts.
Rather than throw money into it on the off chance that I missed something else that would stop the machine from running, I'm thinking of just assembling it without that piece. I know older machines didn't have one and people survived, but I'm also guessing older machines weren't as "tight".
Would it be worth it to try to run it without the decompression arm? There is an electric start on it as well so I'm wondering if that is just a convenience feature that I'll be able to live without or if its absolutely necessary.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from the Keystone State.
Sorry I can't answer your question. Hopefully someone will chime in soon.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Should be just fine. Tecumseh had a 'bump' on the exhaust cam lobe, I always ground that off for better idle and power. It never seemed any harder to pull start. Just be sure to bring it up on compression stroke before yanking on the cord.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I would assemble it without it. It may be a little harder to pull over tdc but if you pull the rope until it just passes tdc then let the rope rewind and give it good pull it should get by tdc pretty easy.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Worst case is if you find it too hard to start you can always take it back apart and replace it later. If it is significantly harder to turn over you might risk burning out the electric starter or breaking the pull cord or the cam pawls on the recoil though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts