Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an issue with a LCT carb on my Husquavarna machine. It would fire off but when coming off of choke it would die out. I ended up changing the carb with another but would like to have a spare in reserve (I can order out a repair kit if so). I was thinking of letting it sit in a container of white vinegar for a night or two. I would then shoot all openings with carb cleaner and blow out with air. The part that worries me is that it has plastic pieces installed from factory that will not come off. Worth doing or not? Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i have great success with regular pine sol mixed 50-50 with hot water on 60 year old outboard motor carbs, it even smells pleasant !!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
OK, something which was recommended to me by a small engine wizard who lives on a boat in the Sacto. Delta. I haven't tried it yet, but makes sense to me:

1. Buy a crockpot at Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. (I just did.);
2. Take the carb bowl off (or not); and
3. Fill the crockpot with ATF and "Cook" your carb in the crockpot on low temp for as long as you think necessary.

Supposedly, ATF gets into and will clean everything and also recondition the carb seals.

I would set up the crockpot outside and not under anything burnable because I don't know if ATF would ignite.

If you have ever heard of such a thing, please post here. If you do it before I do (me on the carb for a rear-tine rototiller), please post your results.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Try an ultrasonic cleaner. I recently bought one at Harbor Freight, the 2.5L model.

Here's the results after three, 480-second cycles.

No pre-treatment on the carburetor and unheated solution (70% lemon Pine-Sol, 30% distilled water).

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Never thought about ATF but that makes sense since it's very high in petro-detergents. I have used lemon juice water and simple gren and boiled them in a pan and worked well on old crusty carbs

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used the Pine sol mixed with Simple green (about a 70/30 mix). As soon as I pulled it from the container I let it soak in overnight I was shocked how good it looked. I can honestly say this did it. I did shoot some carb cleaner through all the ports and hit it with air before reassembly. Thanks all for the help!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
OK, something which was recommended to me by a small engine wizard who lives on a boat in the Sacto. Delta. I haven't tried it yet, but makes sense to me:

1. Buy a crockpot at Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. (I just did.);
2. Take the carb bowl off (or not); and
3. Fill the crockpot with ATF and "Cook" your carb in the crockpot on low temp for as long as you think necessary.

Supposedly, ATF gets into and will clean everything and also recondition the carb seals.

I would set up the crockpot outside and not under anything burnable because I don't know if ATF would ignite.

If you have ever heard of such a thing, please post here. If you do it before I do (me on the carb for a rear-tine rototiller), please post your results.

I dunno, but when the carb is clean, you can always make chili

·
Registered
709 Posts
I would NOT use ATF. ATF will swell seals. I'd use the Pine-Sol and an untrasonic as Ariens-777 got great fast results!!

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I used 10% degreasing dish soap 40% simple green or general purpose cleaner and 50% distilled water. run it on the cheap ultra sonic cleaner from HF. I do about 10 cycles. does a pretty good job.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I use the ultrasonic, tap water, and a couple drops of dish liquid. And I do quit a few cycles, then just run clean water for a couple more. Pretty darn phenomenal, and I wished that I had stumble onto this a lot earlier in my "hobby."

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Interesting myriad of home treatment for crapped up carbs! I will have to start a scientific study and see if I can get federal funding!! :>P I may try some of these in sidew by side comparisons just for sh!t$ N giggles over the next year..... might be fun! Besides, I have a crockpot I dropped the lid on the floor and broke it! lol

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Interesting myriad of home treatment for crapped up carbs! I will have to start a scientific study and see if I can get federal funding!! :>P I may try some of these in sidew by side comparisons just for sh!t$ N giggles over the next year..... might be fun! Besides, I have a crockpot I dropped the lid on the floor and broke it! lol
Chilli won't tune out too well without the lid, it will lose too much liquid

1 - 20 of 21 Posts