Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on storing my snowblower in my newly built shed in the service position. I know you can work on a snowblower in this position but can it sit like that for 8+ months of the year?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I currently have 43 blowers in the service position since February....I drain the gas, run the bowl out or drain...and flip up......they take up way less room this way. If they leak a little oil out....oh well. BTW I have 23 outside and not in the service position.....any one need a blower????

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
i wont store my ariens sno tek on its nose.......could be unfounded, but the machine feels a bit to flimsy for an extended period in that position. the vintage sno thro is another story...would use that one for a work bench in the service position.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
if you are using the shed to also store stuff like tires you could always build a tire rack above it and leave it on the ground. i built one outside to store my tires above my snowblowers. it lets me maximize the limited storage space that i have.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
The only issue I can think of by doing this is the potential for oil getting past the piston rings. But, that doesn't seem to be a problem for Cranman, who stores dozens of blower this way. Still, a simple tug on the starter rope would tell you if enough liquid had pooled to cause hydraulic lock. So, yeah, I think I'll store mine this way too, save some room. Good post!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
but usually the output shaft side of the engine is more than deep enough to hold all the engine oil without it getting to the piston unless you possibly have too much oil in the engine.

·
Super Moderator
2,672 Posts
If in doubt, when ready to put it back into service: first put it into the horizontal position and pull the plug prior to turning it over. That should give an indication of whether oil got into the cylinder or not.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
I store them that way, but at least for Hondas the official answer (given by [email protected]) was NO, they should not be stored in service position.
What I do to store them in Service Position is drain the fuel tank, ran the carb dry and drain the engine oil.
I have them on dollies so that I can move them around if needed.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Just me but I wouldn't do it. Does your owners manual address this?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
but what is the worst that can happen if you store them like that? maybe oil leak out the output shaft? as long as you top up the oil the engine will be fine and it won't damage anything. wash it off and it will be good to go again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts