Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Cranked it up this morning to deal with about 5" of snow, ran about 20 feet out of the garage and crack. This is the classic thrown rod on a Tecumseh engine.

Of course, my real question is what sort of motor can I put on here to replace this one. The snowblower is a Spirit 27" with the 8hp Tecumseh.

This is an older model but it sat idle for a long time so the rest of the machine has a lot of life left. I'd love to save it from the scrapyard. Is there a motor I can buy to replace this one? I've read about Northern Tool stocking some things but that information is a few years old. Looking at prices of similar or suitable snowblowers I figure I have a max of about $250 to spend on an engine for this one. I might go to $300 but north of that and I'm going to look for a complete snowblower.

I do not know a lot about these things but I can follow instructions and will provide any information you all need to hopefully get answers.http://www.snowblowerforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Since it is a single shaft engine it will be easy to replace it with HF 301cc Predator engine. Since you have a 27 inch I would go with the bigger engine. Although I have a Predator 212cc on a 26 inch Montgomery Wards Gilson and it works well. The 212cc is very torquey and it seems to work pretty well in blowers up to 26 inches even. There is no way you can fix that hole with JB weld. Sell the starter from 8 HP engine to recoup some of your money.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I once fixed a cracked block with JB Weld and that engine still runs strong after two seasons, but you have one doozy of a hole.

Hopefully the starter survived. The few times that I had to deal with a blown engine, the starter gets hits so hard that it refuses to work.

Other parts can be sold, such as the crank shaft, fuel tank, flywheel, etc..

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
see if you can find a short block if everything else is good and you have to have a tecumseh

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
dang! took out the block & crank cover. That would be an ambitious repair to say the least. :eek::)
:p
Another used HM80 can be had for < $100. Plug-n-play.
Why buy a used L- head engine when you can have a new OHV engine that is much more fuel efficient and more powerful and quiet too. The 8hp Tecumseh engines were know to have connecting rod problems as you are definitely aware of. The new engines are easy to start with just 1 to 2 pulls of the recoil so a starter is not even needed

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
you do not know the history of a used tecumseh engine. buy a predator and be done with it. there are a lot of people on this forum that will try to steer you away from them, but they have never used them so dont listen to the crap they will give you about the clones

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Why buy a used L- head engine when you can have a new OHV engine that is much more fuel efficient and more powerful and quiet too. The 8hp Tecumseh engines were know to have connecting rod problems as you are definitely aware of. The new engines are easy to start with just 1 to 2 pulls of the recoil so a starter is not even needed
My personal preference...possibly the OP's as well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great advice everyone. Thanks. So the question now is the 6.5 vs 8 hp predator. I appreciate GustoGuy suggesting the bigger one which was echoed by nt40lanman. I had been reading that the 6.5 is a good replacement for the 8hp Tecumseh.

I don't need a 27" snowblower bc I live on a small lot in St Paul MN. I use this thing for my sidewalk and helping out some neighbors. By that I'm saying that it should get relatively light use. Which leans me toward the smaller engine. But I don't want to be cheap and stupid which leans me toward the bigger one.

Right now the 6.5 is $120 - down from $250. The 8 is $230 - down from $300. Does the price on the 8 get any lower?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you do not know the history of a used tecumseh engine. buy a predator and be done with it. there are a lot of people on this forum that will try to steer you away from them, but they have never used them so dont listen to the crap they will give you about the clones
I've had luck with my HF purchases. Mostly a huge tile saw that the pros in the forums crap on but which works fine for me. I've only been reading about the predators tonight but I've seen enought to a) understand the controversy and b) know that I'm the type that will try the Chinese knock-off.

My personal preference...possibly the OP's as well.
I appreciate the input. I don't really have a preference. If I could find a Tecumseh for under $100 I'd probably risk it. Maybe. My neighbor and his buddies are already laughing at me though. They would get a kick out of it if I replaced the engine and blew that one too! So based on that, maybe I wouldn't risk it!

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
20% off anything in store and free light. you can rejet the carb on the 6.5 and get about 8.5hp out of it. the 6.5 really feels more like an 8 just because of the torque they make

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I own 3 HF Predator engines and one is on a mini bike and the other 2 are on snowblowers. All 3 engines run great and start easily. I used to be a skeptical too so I first replaced my 2.8hp Doodle bug engine with the 6.5hp 212cc and I was impressed with how well the engine ran. Powerful and quiet with easy 1 pull starting. The next engine to go was the hard to start Tecumseh 5 HP on my MTD 5/22. Now I use the blower more often and it tosses snow over 40 feet. Check out my video of my blower sometime under Mrgustoguy on YouTube.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 6.5 has the 3/4" shaft which is what I need. I know I could get different pulleys but that puts me into unfamiliar territory. I'm leaning toward the 6.5. If it's underpowered I'll find a smaller snowblower with a bad engine and transplant it.

That rejet is an interesting and I'll keep it in mind.

Regarding coupons - the ones I'm seeing exclude "Predator Gas Power Items."

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The rejetting help the engine run good in the cold weather since the engine is jetted lean for emissions reasons and summer running. NR racing replaced the stock air cleaner assembly with a low restriction K&N style air filter with a 140 emulsion tube and a larger main jet and dynoed the engine and found it put out just over 9hp with just a low restriction air filter and fatter jetting. I did a free mod on my mini bike I enlarged the air opening inside the air cleaner housing then I needed to enlarge the main jet and it improved the tottle response and turned the Doodle bug into the Doodle beast and I needed to add some weight to the front end because it turned into a wheelie machine. I may even do this to the snowblowers too. Ton's of parts too to hot rod this engine. Billet connecting rods and flywheels rated to 8500 rpms. Check out NR racing Predator stage kit's

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have the 212cc on a 24" bucket and it works well. I'm getting ready to install the 301cc on a 27". I was able to use the 20% off coupon for the purchase, but HF is inconsistent across locations, some accept them and some don't. As far as which to buy, if you don't see yourself taking a full bucket with every pass, I would say you can get away with the 212cc, just take your time on the first pass when you don't have a choice but to take a full bucket. Either way I don't think you will be disappointed with your choice. I think the 212cc is the best bang for your buck.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I have used several 6.5hp engines on 24" and 26" machines and they work very well. I have an 11hp on a 26" cub but it is overkill. You can get the 6.5 on sale for under 100 dollars and if you can use the 20% off that puts it near 80 bucks.

Go with the 6.5 it will be fine.

carl

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, let me know what you think about this problem. As I see it I need to get some sort of crank shaft extension or drill new holes in the snow blower "engine deck."

Got any thought on this?

And oh yeah, my garage floor feels like the Exxon Valdez drove through here; everytime I turn or rotate this snowblower more oil leaks out of the nooks and crannies.

I put the new motor on the snowblower and it sits too far back.

As it sits it will reach the pulley for the wheels, but not the auger:

You can see the old motor sat forward, almost touching the tensioner:

I could drill some new holes and bolt this thing down with nuts and bolts, right?(Note in this picture you can see the rear "old" mounting hole.

The only problem with that is that I will need to somehow get through or remove all of this stuff to get a tool on the nut/bolt going through the new holes:
http://www.snowblowerforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

1 - 20 of 47 Posts