Snowblower Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
To the OP, I think I asked this earlier, but the response may have been lost . . . Have you checked the gov linkage setup IE the positiom of the gov arm on the shaft coming out of the block? That can also easy result in an overrev situation. I also forget (sorry!), but does the throttle control have any effect on speed at all? IE, can you reduce it to idle, but it overrevs when you bring the contol up, or?? Also, if you push the throttle plate/linkage closed by hand, can you reduce speed? If so, I doubt a carb replacement will do much, but if you cannot, then it may well help.

Also, note the metal rod with the "U" shaped bend in Ziggy's second photo. This is the speed adjustment point on these engines. After setting the gov link, you bend this open or closed to set the top governed speed.

I can't see anything that stands out as wrong on your linkages from your photos, but they are showing up verry blurry here, so it is really hard to be certain. Any chance you can attach some higher res images?
Hi Tadawson. I find if I double click on the images April 28, the resulting images are extremely clear. So, I doubt that I can do any better. Can you reference for me on my photos where the "throttle plate/linkage" is so that I can try your suggestion?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,564 Posts
The throttle plate is the one closest to the engine in the carb (the choke is the outer), and the linkage that should be connected to it is the one going to the gov arm. Moving that by hand will give you direct control over the throttle, and will tell you if the carb is working correctly or not - you should be able to pusb it all the way to idle . . .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The throttle plate is the one closest to the engine in the carb (the choke is the outer), and the linkage that should be connected to it is the one going to the gov arm. Moving that by hand will give you direct control over the throttle, and will tell you if the carb is working correctly or not - you should be able to pusb it all the way to idle . . .
Hi,

These are two videos that best explain my problems with my snow blower. I hope this makes things clear. Any suggestions would be welcomed before I throw in the towel to this snow blower that has been in my family for two generations.

Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I don't have a solution for you but what I don't get is how difficult it would be for a repair shop to open up an engine and repair a bad governor, after all this should be their bread and butter unless it is too time consuming and too involved for a repair shop to refuse the fix.
I went through the same experience with my Ariens (2013 model) that had a bad governor, the repair shop owner also did not want to go near it, I have never done this type of repair myself but you'd think it's an easy task for a "pro" shop but I guess I was wrong.
it could also be because, since the engine is old, there are risk of breaking stuff, and shop don't wanna deal with broken bolt, since they will have to charge more to the customer

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi,

These are two videos that best explain my problems with my snow blower. I hope this makes things clear. Any suggestions would be welcomed before I throw in the towel to this snow blower that has been in my family for two generations.

Thanks.
just wondering shouldn't there be a second linkage that goes from the governor to the place where the spring is attached too? maybe not in the same hole, but on my hs 80, there are 2 linkage,
Photograph World Screenshot Terrestrial plant Font

·
Premium Member
1979 (or so) Toro 724 (38050) and 2018 Ariens Platinum 24
1,564 Posts
To the OP . . . it's not definitive, but the gov linkage looks outnof adjustment. Every Tec I have had from that vintage has had the little tab that the linkage attaches to that is held onto the gov arm coming off almost straight, and your's isn't . . . Also, the adjustment loop in on the link atop the carb looks opened more that typical as well . . . gotta wonder if someone was trying to "hot rod" it before you got it . . .

I've mentioned the gov adjustment procedure a couple of times, but don't recall you ever confirming that you have checked it. (I also never see it move, but then again, in the vid, the engine never seems to come up to speed either . . .)

To Phil, the spring from the arm to the carb is the connection you are looking for. Oh these with the throttle on the handlebars, the spring is not on the throttle control proper, but moves to here, and I am pretty certain that this is correct. The throttle moves the arm atop the carb, and the "bendy loop" adjusts how much tension it puts on the gov link to set speed, via the spring. The hard link from the gov to the throttle plate controls the carb . . .

I wish I could get hands-on with this thing . . .

It also seems to be stumbling pretty bad, and never really clears and comes to a stable speed in your vid. Also no memtion of where the throttle control is set when thks was taken, or any attempt to move it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Update: I got a new carburetor. The choke lever is different. See the photos. My best bet would be cutting off the lever on the new one and attaching the old lever to the base. Any ideas as how to do this? P1170028 is the old one, P1170029 is the new one, and P1170030 is the cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
1979 Toro Snow King
70 Posts
I don't have a solution for you but what I don't get is how difficult it would be for a repair shop to open up an engine and repair a bad governor, after all this should be their bread and butter unless it is too time consuming and too involved for a repair shop to refuse the fix.
I went through the same experience with my Ariens (2013 model) that had a bad governor, the repair shop owner also did not want to go near it, I have never done this type of repair myself but you'd think it's an easy task for a "pro" shop but I guess I was wrong.
I don't understand a shop not wanting to do the work! These engines are easy straight forward in design. If I was close I would be glad to do it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
To use clichés, I threw in the towel and bit the bullet. I gave up on repairing the snow blower. I am trying to save parts that I might use for my Toro and a generator that both use Tecumseh engine and I ordered a new Ariens Deluxe 24".

I am trying to take the belt off to perhaps use on my Toro or on my new Ariens Deluxe 24" and am having difficulty with it. I could not find anything on Youtube for something this old (maybe 1974). Any clues or links for this? It may not be worthwhile. The old one is 7HP. I hope that I won't be disappointed with the new one.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
To use clichés, I threw in the towel and bit the bullet. I gave up on repairing the snow blower. I am trying to save parts that I might use for my Toro and a generator that both use Tecumseh engine and I ordered a new Ariens Deluxe 24".

I am trying to take the belt off to perhaps use on my Toro or on my new Ariens Deluxe 24" and am having difficulty with it. I could not find anything on Youtube for something this old (maybe 1974). Any clues or links for this? It may not be worthwhile. The old one is 7HP. I hope that I won't be disappointed with the new one.

Thanks
Why weren't you able to fix it?
I was lead to believe it would be easy?

41 - 56 of 56 Posts