Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Murray 8HP about 19 years old. I find using it to be a lot of work. The drive activation lever is on the left and the impeller lever is right. (This model has the one-handed feature but that stopped working long ago. I figured I better include that info). Here's my question: I'm holding the levers down which effectively reduces the downward pressure on the scraper bar. So I end up lifting the handles with my arms to ensure good contact. It doesn't take too long before I'm just tuckered out from this combined pushing/lifting. What am I doing wrong? Can the levers be remounted so they pull up (that makes more sense to me)? Can I add weight to the front end to avoid the lifting? This is getting kind of tough on this old man.

·
Account closed by member request.
9,612 Posts
add some weight to the front end. switching those levers would be more work than it's worth. I do not think it is even possible anyway. anyhoo ALOHA from the paradise city.:behindsofa::eek:mg::emoticon-south-park

·
Registered
248 Posts
on my machine when I press the engagement levers they are held down by tension and there is no need to press down on the handlebars. maybe you need cable adjustment

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brickcity - are you saying that once the levers are down, it takes only a light pressure to keep them there? I take my SB to Garden Hut in Grand Forks ND, and the guy there told me my cables are adjusted appropriately. Maybe I should try adjusting them myself. Any instructions in this forum somewhere? Also, I'm not a welder or metal fabricator. Is there a "front end weight kit" commercially available? Thanks everybody for your help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG It seems so obvious now! I added a cab about 2 years ago but never made the "counterweight" connection! I will look into that right away. I will also pursue adjusting the cables so they don't require so much down pressure on the levers. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
OMG It seems so obvious now! I added a cab about 2 years ago but never made the "counterweight" connection! I will look into that right away. I will also pursue adjusting the cables so they don't require so much down pressure on the levers. Thanks!

I have a cab from Classic. I took it off years ago because it made the job more difficult. However, mine came with a canvas like bag with instructions to put 15 Lbs of sand inside, and clamp it to the front of the bucket. Worked fine. It has a clamp consisting of a metal frame, with a couple of U brackets with bolts. Fits over the lip, and snug down the bolts and it stays put and balances the weight of the cab.

·
Registered
248 Posts
brickcity - are you saying that once the levers are down, it takes only a light pressure to keep them there? I take my SB to Garden Hut in Grand Forks ND, and the guy there told me my cables are adjusted appropriately. Maybe I should try adjusting them myself. Any instructions in this forum somewhere? Also, I'm not a welder or metal fabricator. Is there a "front end weight kit" commercially available? Thanks everybody for your help!

yes, the pressure I have to apply is hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have had no luck finding a weight kit for this model. I'm waiting for a reply from Murray via their "contact us" function. In the meantime, any quick and dirty MacGyver weight ideas before we get snow dumped on us over the next few hours? A tube of sand draped over the auger housing? "Something else" I can C-clamp to the top of the intake shroud?

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Maybe add something that will make your auger housing stronger. Like 1" x 2" flat bar on the top edge of your auger housing, the width of your auger housing. Or replace your scraper bar with the same solid bar stock. Now that would be one heck of a "wear item." Solid flat bar is cheap and you can drill it and bolt to the top of your auger housing. Call your local steel supply shop. I wouldn't clamp anything to the front of the auger housing for fear that it would vibrate loose and be pulled in...

Maybe post a picture of your auger housing for the guru's here to comment on?

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
You could make the Toro or Ariens kits work. They are all just a chunk of heavy metal. Just google "snowblower weight kit" as there are a lot of sources. It's just a matter of bolting down the weight. You can use anything for a weight. For $100 for one of the kits I think I'd be looking around for some cast iron or even brake rotors to mount over the bucket.

Toro kit: Toro 107-3815 Snow Blower Front Weight Kit Power Max Models
Ariens kit: Ariens 72406500 Front Weight Kit

Might even figure out a way to lay a sand tube across it with a couple bungees.
I've seen guys with riders use them on the rear fenders on riders to get some bite !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks folks! I said "auger housing" but meant "impeller housing" (the round part around the impeller, behind the auger and its housing). It seems like that would be a good place to drape a tube of sand. A 70 pound tube/bag of sand is $5 - I would probably dump out at least 1/2 of the sand then reseal it, then drape it like saddlebags over the impeller housing. Also I just discovered that Murray went out of business in 2005? I'll check on the Toro and Ariens kits.

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
They were absorbed by ... it's Briggs & Stratton now.

But the Murray was kind of a lower end retail unit (I have one) and may never have had that option.
I'm sure you'd want to let some sand out and experiment with it.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Brad, i see in an earlier post that you arent a metal fab guy, but are you ok with drilling a couple of holes in a couple pieces of 1/4x3" flat bar ? if so, id suggest making a beefy set of drift cutters that are a bit longer and extend forward a slight bit more than normal, that would give the same effect as long handle bars on the back end without adding a whole lotta weight and you could always bolt pieces to them to dial in the right balance. jmo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts