Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wife and I are in the process of buying a new house It sits on a half acre with a driveway that's about 100ft long. It's an older house that had the burbs built around it. I'm sure they'll be pleased with me cranking up my old B&S 8hp flathead early in the morning.:snow48:

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Maybe your neighbors own Harleys.... :icon_whistling:
Congrats on your new place.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Let them bitch you are performing an emergency clean-up to enjoy your freedom. Most towns can't really do anything if you are cleaning snow where I live there are no time restrictions for using a snowblower unlike other equipment. People have to get to work, some are even emergency service workers.

Good luck with the house and the beast.

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Yawwnnn... I think I'll just roll over and go back to sleep for a couple more hours...
If I had known retirement was gonna be anywhere near this good I would have done it 40 years ago. ;)

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
my neighors all freakin hate me because im one of the go to guys for power equipment where i live and am always working on something. your gonna have to learn to get used to the **** you looks there going to start giving you

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sure glad I try to get along with my neighbours and not try to make them mad by firing up a noisy snowblower before 7:00am. And very happy my city had bylaws that prevent loud noises from 10:00pm to 7:00am during the week and until 9:00am on weekends.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
one thing i do is always make sure to follow noise ordinances so they cant call the cops on me, but ill work until 9 which is when i am legally required to stop

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my meighors all freakin hate me because im one of the go to guys for power equipment where i live and am always working on something. your gonna have to learn to get used to the **** you looks there going to start giving you
I don't know I think that I am currently that neighbor I always have a car up on ramps or the hood open for a couple of days, but I usually don't work on anything past 9:00.
As far as snow blowing I usually wait until I hear a couple of them fire up before I get mine running.

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
They are not as loud as people think.
Very true. New fallen snow has a serious muffleing effect and really deadens snowblower engine noise. Sometimes my neighbor blows our sidewalk off and I am not aware he's even out there. The person most affected by blower engine noise is the operator.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yawwnnn... I think I'll just roll over and go back to sleep for a couple more hours...
If I had known retirement was gonna be anywhere near this good I would have done it 40 years ago. ;)
I sure agree with that !!!!.......I either roll over and get a few more zzz's or say to myself maybe i'll get my butt up have some coffee and then go out and run my machine..or not

·
Super Moderator
9,888 Posts
With snowblowers you have to use them when you have to use them. Especially when you need to get out the driveway.

I'm thinking you're going to have some company out there blowing snow.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I am a little bit confused with this thread. Don't most people go out and clear... pretty much at the same time? Weather it be morning, noon or night? At least in my neighbor hood, everyone pretty much as to leave or do what they have to do pretty much at the same time.

How loud the machines are, is really no big concern or deal to me, because things have to get done, when they have to get done. No? I think the person who deals with most of the noise is the operator. When I am clearing, I either wear a military baseball type hat with ear flaps along with my hood over my head, or a winter hat along with the hood over my head. This blocks a lot of noise.

And usually with each storm, I am helping to clear up to 4 properties to give everyone a helping hand, so I think neighbors can put up with a little bit noise they hear for an hour or two. :icon_smile_approve:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am a little bit confused with this thread. Don't most people go out and clear... pretty much at the same time? Weather it be morning, noon or night? At least in my neighbor hood, everyone pretty much as to leave or do what they have to do pretty much at the same time.

How loud the machines are, is really no big concern or deal to me, because things have to get done, when they have to get done. No? I think the person who deals with most of the noise is the operator. When I am clearing, I either wear a military baseball type hat with ear flaps along with my hood over my head, or a winter hat along with the hood over my head. This blocks a lot of noise.

And usually with each storm, I am helping to clear up to 4 properties to give everyone a helping hand, so I think neighbors can put up with a little bit noise they hear for an hour or two. :icon_smile_approve:
I was just trying to be funny with this thread. I have an older, not so quiet, snow blower with a long driveway. Given where I'll be living I'm sure some of the neighbors will be wondering what all that noise is so early in the morning. Maybe it wont seem so loud at the new place because that are isn't so densely populated.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I understand that. No problem. I commented only because I think there was another thread about how loud these machines are and it made me laugh a bit. Simply because... we all have to clear out after a storm. Some times a little before it's ended and some a bit after. It all has to be cleared and it's a job that has to get done. Weather it is a bit loud for an hour or two, just does not concern me and I just take it to be funny.

I was just trying to be funny with this thread. I have an older, not so quiet, snow blower with a long driveway. Given where I'll be living I'm sure some of the neighbors will be wondering what all that noise is so early in the morning. Maybe it wont seem so loud at the new place because that are isn't so densely populated.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I live in a very small old town (170 years old give or take) with a lot of old houses close together.
I often fire the snowblower up at 6-7AM, no one has ever complained. By often, I mean when we have a storm and I need to get to work. Not like every Sunday. :)

There may be times I'm out there at 5AM if I need to get to work. I will however, try to put it off if I can, like on a weekend unless I see snow change over to rain, then I get my butt out there before it's a bigger nightmare.

I suspect, to most people there's a big difference between you cleaning up snow to get to work vs having a party and playing loud music at midnight. And most people will even tolerate that on the rare occasion.

There's times I want to go out and mow the lawn, or pressure wash things but put it off because the neighbors are outside with their friends, relaxing etc.

I always try to be considerate whenever possible. It's usually returned in one way or another.

·
Super Moderator
3,855 Posts
There are some "neighbor sounds" people can legitimately complain about: loud music, partys, children yelling at each other, people being loud in various ways just because they are naturally rude and obnoxious.

then there are other sounds no one has any right to complain about, because we all need to do it, and its "just life" :
mowing the lawn, snowblowing.

and no can complain about someone snowblowing at different times of day..
yes, most people use the snowblower early in the morning..
but sometimes it needs to be done at 4am, 7pm, 10pm, etc. for various personal reasons, (work schedules, etc.)..
just deal with it! ;) if someone is snowblowing at 10pm, the odds are good it will happen once a year or less..

Scot

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well now I don't feel so bad, I went to talk to the new neighbors, and as I walked by the garage I saw an older uglier snowblower sitting in their garage. So I guess I wont be the only one waking up the neighborhood.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts