Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering what people use on stubborn carb deposits. i got my neighbors snow blower running for them last year and i thought i got things clean out running pretty good but after watching a video on youtube i now realized the emulsion was still a bit more clogged than i realized. the snow blow sat for 2 years without running before last year and the jet was clogged solid when i first took it apart last year. you couldn't even see the jet inside emulsion tube with how bad it was. i ended up using oven cleaner to break most of the crud free because carb cleaner was just not getting the job done but for some reason i have a feeling oven cleaner should probably not be used. any advise?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the only issue i got with one of those is the hole i would be cleaning is gumbed up good and i am not sure what size it would be.

·
Registered
864 Posts
i was wondering what people use on stubborn carb deposits. i got my neighbors snow blower running for them last year and i thought i got things clean out running pretty good but after watching a video on youtube i now realized the emulsion was still a bit more clogged than i realized. the snow blow sat for 2 years without running before last year and the jet was clogged solid when i first took it apart last year. you couldn't even see the jet inside emulsion tube with how bad it was. i ended up using oven cleaner to break most of the crud free because carb cleaner was just not getting the job done but for some reason i have a feeling oven cleaner should probably not be used. any advise?

soak it in a bucket of gas and mineral spirits. if you really want to get it freed up, add some diesel fuel. oven cleaner is just fine. but you have to find every passage and clean each one with a pin or torch tip cleaner or tiny drill bit per previous post

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Carb cleaning

I have been using brake cleaner along with a strand of phone wire. The wire is fine enough it goes through any hole I've tried, it's copper so it won't dig into the carb alloy material and it can be bent for those awkward angles.

Just don't get the carb cleaner on painted or plastic parts you don't want damaged.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't use that, it would probably eat the metal. Get an Ultrasonic cleaner. That's what I use. And I use Simple Green as the cleaning solution. I also use Motorcraft Tune Up liquid to soak the jets and the low idle screw in.
a ultrasonic cleaner would be nice. i have been temped over the last year buy one but not pulled the trigger yet.
I have been using brake cleaner along with a strand of phone wire. The wire is fine enough it goes through any hole I've tried, it's copper so it won't dig into the carb alloy material and it can be bent for those awkward angles.

Just don't get the carb cleaner on painted or plastic parts you don't want damaged.
i have found brake cleaner not strong enough. i did also read that using copper wire to clean out the holes helps but i first got to get the 1 hole open. can't even see through the hole at the end of the emultion tube

·
Registered
374 Posts
My Honda dealer told me to go to NAPA and buy their Carb cleaner......let it soak overnight......should take care of all Carb problems......of course you have to remove all jets prior to soaking it....then reassemble in the morning.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you mean that carb cleaner stuff than comes in a pail? i don't know if that would work on this carb since the carb is a composite or something. it is definitely not the typical type carb that i am use to working on. i ended up using some copper telephone wire and it was smaller than all the holes in the emulsion tube but seemed to clean a fair bit out of it. all the holes flowed a lot better after and the machine ran a bit better. hopefully whatever i missed gets cleaned out by the fresh gas. i know i warned my neighbor last year about running cheap gas in small engines so hopefully he is still running ethanol free gas.

after watching a couple video's on youtube i am starting to really think about buying a ultra sonic cleaner. i got a couple thing that could use a good ultrasonic cleaning

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no harbor freights up here. i might try finding one locally first but i have a feeling i might have to order one on ebay. there is one similar to the $85 harbor freight one on ebay for about $120 Canadian shipped which don't seem too bad.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
no harbor freights up here. i might try finding one locally first but i have a feeling i might have to order one on ebay. there is one similar to the $85 harbor freight one on ebay for about $120 Canadian shipped which don't seem too bad.
Mines a 2 liter, from Ebay. And has a heater, also. The around $100 or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yours is actually a 2.5 liter lol. ya i saw one like yours pop up when i was searching but i think it was like $150 plus shipping and would have been cheaper to get a 6 liter one that would have been about $200 shipped.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
pine sol seemed to pop up a fair bit when searching. i might have to try some. some of the people that were using the ultrasonic cleaners were also using them with pine sol.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
yours is actually a 2.5 liter lol. ya i saw one like yours pop up when i was searching but i think it was like $150 plus shipping and would have been cheaper to get a 6 liter one that would have been about $200 shipped.
I have a larger one, but I found it to be a pain to use on small carbs. When Yo have to change the cleaning solution frequently, it gets expensive.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it is so tempting tho. sometimes i might just need that bit larger cleaner. maybe i might have to start small and get a larger one in the future. i do plan on cleaning up my 4 barrel carb again this spring so i can make under the hood of my truck start looking clean again.

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I have heard you can use a large pot of boiling water on the stove for soaking carbs as well. I have never tried.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts