Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my snow blower in for a carb rebuild. When I got it back, I noticed it dripping whenever I over primed it or tipped it back. Today, I took the float and needle apart and cleaned it. It worked, but a few hours later when I tried it, it leaked about two drops. Is there anything that I should try or should I not worry about it?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
So I had my snow blower in for a carb rebuild. When I got it back, I noticed it dripping whenever I over primed it or tipped it back. Today, I took the float and needle apart and cleaned it. It worked, but a few hours later when I tried it, it leaked about two drops. Is there anything that I should try or should I not worry about it?
If you prime too much, it can leak. Also check the bowl to make sure they tightened it up properly. If its tight, might be the gasket on the bowl was damaged when they reassembled it. If you paid to have the work done, you should take it up with the shop who should make good on their work.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
If it only drips with you try to start it (prime) that's considered normal. Try one less pump when you prime it.

If it's dripping while running or when sitting, engine off that's another story and something that can be and needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another thing, when the carb was rebuilt was the inside of the gas tank also cleaned? If there's any residual gunk in there it could be getting into the carb and messing with the seal on the float needle.
No I believe the mechanic just rebuilt the carb. How would you go about cleaning the tank?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you prime too much, it can leak. Also check the bowl to make sure they tightened it up properly. If its tight, might be the gasket on the bowl was damaged when they reassembled it. If you paid to have the work done, you should take it up with the shop who should make good on their work.
It's leaking out of the vent. I'm thinking abound taking it there and make them finish it up right.

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
No I believe the mechanic just rebuilt the carb. How would you go about cleaning the tank?
Well first you'd have a good look inside with a nice bright flashlight, and see if there was anything other than clean clear gas inside. Water will appeal like bubbles on the bottom of the tank. Any doubt, drain the gas into a clear container so you can see. Water/junk will settle to the bottom, gas will float on top. Is the gas in the tank fresh btw, or leftover? If it's old, get it out anyway.

Once you can determine if it's squeaky clean inside, or contaminated, then we'll know how to proceed.

That said if you paid someone to do the job it should have been done right, and a carb rebuild at a reputable shop should include making sure there's no further contamination upstream of the carb, including checking the tank... imo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well first you'd have a good look inside with a nice bright flashlight, and see if there was anything other than clean clear gas inside. Water will appeal like bubbles on the bottom of the tank. Any doubt, drain the gas into a clear container so you can see. Water/junk will settle to the bottom, gas will float on top. Is the gas in the tank fresh btw, or leftover? If it's old, get it out anyway.

Once you can determine if it's squeaky clean inside, or contaminated, then we'll know how to proceed.

That said if you paid someone to do the job it should have been done right, and a carb rebuild at a reputable shop should include making sure there's no further contamination upstream of the carb, including checking the tank... imo.
I guess he did check the tank because it was clean at the bottom with clean, fresh 2 cycle fuel. So where do I go from here. I forgot to mention in my main post that's it's leaking from the vent hole. I only got worried when I tipped it back and got a few drops of gasoline.

·
Registered
792 Posts
CL
If you're "tipping" your snow blower, a few drips is normal. Also, as mentioned, the primer bulb will cause excess fuel to leak out...normal. If your machine is running correctly now, I would wait to see if the drips disappear. If the tank has a shutoff valve, always use it. If not, install one and use it. MH

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CL
If you're "tipping" your snow blower, a few drips is normal. Also, as mentioned, the primer bulb will cause excess fuel to leak out...normal. If your machine is running correctly now, I would wait to see if the drips disappear. If the tank has a shutoff valve, always use it. If not, install one and use it. MH
It doesn't drip while it's running so I guess I'm good.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Good. Just keep an eye on it and store it wisely. MH

1 - 13 of 13 Posts