Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an old Craftsman snowblower with a Tecumseh engine. Model 536.882502

It was not running when I got it. I removed the carb and cleaned everything. Put it back on, put some gas in the tank and I got a drip from the front of the carb by the choke.

Why? Float bad? Needle stuck somewhere? Ideas?

Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
3,149 Posts
Cleaning old carbs can be an exercise in frustration some times. Just when you think you have everything cleaned up, they leak. It might take another cleaning, and maybe a kit, which should include all new gaskets and float needle, if you didn't already install one. From what others say, it might just be easier and cheaper to buy a new replacement carb.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Could be - the gas we use is not very stable these days..... plus if it had ethanol in it it sucks water in and corroded/rusts the carbs. You need to make sure the needle and the seat/rubber are in good shape and that the float is adjusted tight and working (no holes or leaks). If those things are good, it shouldn't leak/flood. Try adjusting the float a little higher (closing earlier) see if that helps

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Dripping from the mouth of the carb means the fuel level is too high.

You need to set the float level. With the bowl off and your holding the carb upside down the float should be 11/64 from the flange the bowl gasket goes around.

Occasionally that is still too high and you will need to make it a little lower.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did install the gasket the correct way. I took everything apart again, rechecked holes, and gaskets. Reassembled, bolted it on and it fired right up and ran okay for a minute or two and then started spilling gas again.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I did install the gasket the correct way. I took everything apart again, rechecked holes, and gaskets. Reassembled, bolted it on and it fired right up and ran okay for a minute or two and then started spilling gas again.
You might want to try shutting off the gas at the fuel shutoff, then removing the bowl while the carb is installed. If you don't have a shutoff valve, then pinch the fuel line with pliers or vice grips gently to stop the flow.

Have a container to catch fuel under the carb and then open the gas shutoff and hold the float up to see if it stops the flow. ( might need three hands to do this without making to big a mess). If the flow stops when you hold the float up (needle pressing into seat) then you need to do some more adjustment to float height. Also check the float is not sticking as it raises and lowers. If fuel still flows with the float held up, then either the needle or seat is damaged or there's still some crap in the seat or under the seat keeping it from sealing.

It sounds like the float height is off if you are getting overflow with the engine running. Check the gasket at the main jet as well where it holds the bowl onto the carb. That could be leaking. Does your carb have a drain port in the bowl near the main jet? If so, another thing to check. I assume you checked that the float itself doesn't have a leak and is not full of gas?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will check some more in the morning. I might have to check the float without the bowl. The carb has new gaskets/o-rings. I checked the float and it has no leaks and nothing inside. This snow blower has no fuel shutoff valve, but I think I will get one to make things easier.

More testing in the morning and I will update.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
This snow blower has no fuel shutoff valve, but I think I will get one to make things easier.

Thanks
Agreed, it will be easier, plus you can shut it off after working the machine, and not worry about leaks stinking up the garage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, l installed the shut off valve. I removed the bowl and depressed the float to keep the fuel shut off ( light pressure). Fuel did not come out. If I let off, I got fuel. I also cleaned the tank again. Lastly, before reinstalling the bowl, I checked the float level.

Turn on gas after installing and it begins flooding again.

It's getting very frustrating!

I am not sure what else to do. Try cleaning tank again and carb? Float level should be good, if anything I have it adjusted to the extreme of low fuel level in the bowl.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
What float does the carb have? Is it brass or plastic? The brass will get leaks and start to fill inside with gas. This could be a possibility. And just a stupid question, you did remove the old needle seat? Make sure the seat is fully down the throat.

What I do, when I rebuild a carb, is I turn the carb over in my hand a blow lightly thru the fuel inlet o make sure their is no leaks. Its a quick check, before I mount the carb on the engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brass float, and I tested it to make sure it did't have any holes.

I fully seated the new o-ring and made sure it was in the correct way.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Brass float, and I tested it to make sure it did't have any holes.

I fully seated the new o-ring and made sure it was in the correct way.
So you shook the float and heard no liquid? I would consider getting a plastic float. Don't get too frustrated. You should be able to figure this out. Do as I said in my last post. test the float for closing, before you remount the carb.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have not tried turning it upside down and blowing in the fuel inlet port. I will try that. I did remove the bowl and applied light pressure and could stop fuel flow.

I have shaken the removed float a few times and nothing is inside. I have put it in a jar submerged in gas and it never sinks.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
If you have the float set right, then the leak has to be coming from the bottom gasket where the main jet screws in, or from the drain valve if you have one. But your description says its leaking out the throat near the choke which says the float is still not set right.

I don't know if you have watched this video, from Donyboy73. but it shows the process for rebuilding and setting float height in part 2. Also shows the details of replacing o rings etc. This is for Tecumseh 4-7 HP engines.

part 1
part 2

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I got tired of wasting time and money on rebuilds, especially when a repop adjustable carb is only $20.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
It's not leaking from underneath. I can watch it start to flow right out of the throat of the carb.
Check out part 2 of the video, around 7 minutes in where he gets into the setting the float height. Is that the process you followed?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts