Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after the 1st snowfall of the year on Thanksgiving I decided to replace the carbs on both snowthrowers (1994 model 536.886360 10hp 32" trac-plus. And 2006 model 246.88790 9hp 28") as neither decided to keep running after initial startup this year. My question is does it matter if the carbs are the same no matter what the originals were/are as they are no longer made?

I ordered the two that were listed in the parts manuals and as everyone knows Tecumseh is gone, so I received a replacement for the 640052 and it seems to be the same as the 632370a except for the bowl drain and the adjustment screw on the bottom of the bowl.
One other issue is the mounting holes for the cover are not threaded...I think the carb body is cast aluminum and am afraid to try to tap it. I tried a few years ago and wasn't successful. Can anyone offer up help before winter really hits???
BTW...I do use sta-bil and Seafoam in the gas for ALL my small engine(s)...

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
Carbs

I've replaced a few carbs so far. I went to Ebay and found those that were listed for the same size engine, are fully adjustable, have a float and hopefully the choke and throttle are correct. If they aren't I'll switch out from the old carb to the new.

I'll put an adjustable float carb on in place of a diaphragm or non-adjustable one. I think all the new ones have been Oregon's and the Tecumseh parts work fine in the ones I've gotten and tried parts in.

So far, they've all worked out fine for me.

Does that help?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Did you give the originals a good cleaning? Even with Sta-Bil and Seafoam, problems may still show up. I'd try cleaning out what's there before blindly slapping on a new carb. There are lots of Youtube videos showing how to disassemble/reassemble, and we're here to help too!

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Have you tried to clean the old ones ?? I would prefer the old ones with the adjustment to the replacements without adjustment.

Or see if it's possible to send the new ones back for credit against some adjustable new ones. ;)

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
just tap the holes, the carb you received is an epa style carb basically jetted to make algore shut up a bit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just tap the holes, the carb you received is an epa style carb basically jetted to make algore shut up a bit.
I tried to tap one awhile back and busted the "stems".....The non-adjustable ones are tapped.

I did try to clean the old ones by soaking them in carb cleaner, then I soaked them in kerosene. I still couldn't get them to idle correctly...then I tried the rebuild kit and that didn't improve anything...that's why I gave up on them.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Have you tried a cheap ultrasonic cleaner?

Sometimes you can pick them up cheaply in the jewelry dept at walmart, or they can be ordered off the website. I picked mine up for about $30. And I used a drop or two of dishwashing liquid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts