Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so this winter I tried to start the snowblower up (its a 205cc briggs stratton 1.5 yrs old, used one season 2 times) and it wouldn't start. Even when hooked up to electricity. So I took the carburetor off, it had some gook in it, cleaned it, and put it back on. Snowblower starts on 1st pull, great!!

The the problem is, after I turn it off, and it sits, it starts to leak. Not much, just a few drops,but then after a view days its like a drop a day,but it builds up around the top.

So basically after like 2 weeks from the last start, there's a buildup of gook around the outside. So I took the carburettor off, cleaned the bowl, and carefully put it back, noting the lil rubber gasket at top of bowl. Put it all back the way it should be. Snowblower starts, and the same, just a drop or 2 of gas. I simply leave the blower in the garage and lets days go by. Slowly but surely, it starts to build up around the outside.

What am I doing wrong? what's the trick to putting the carburetor back on right so that it doesn't slowly leak after days of sitting ?

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
I am not familiar with the newer Briggs, but generally if the carb is leaking while just sitting there it is either the gasket for the bolt that holds the bowl on, the drain plug if the bowl has one or the needle/seat are leaking and allowing the fuel tank to slowly leak into the carb. The carb will over fill and then leak. Depending on the engine set up this can cause all the fuel to dump out onto the ground or run into the engine and eventually make its way into the oil.

It can be a good idea to add a fuel shut off valve to the fuel line between the tank and the carb. This can help mitigate issues like this during storage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay yeah this is a storage issue.

Now the gasket around the bolt that holds the bowl on looks pretty decent, but I could use a new once since they are cheap. But if leaks there, it somehow causes the gas to fill the bowl and leak from the top?

Also,

I am novice with snowblowers, I don't know much. Can you advise on how to add a fuel cutoff valve?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Make sure you have fresh gas, not only for the explosiveness of the gas but to ensure there's no crap in it. Put it in a clear soda bottle and look at the color, there should be none.

This may be more than you want to do but it's easy. Remove the carb, take it completely apart, unscrewing all the screws, and put it in a carb soak, Berryman's. Let it sit for several hours then blow out the small holes with an aerosol carb cleaner. Right now it sounds like you have gunk somewhere, and your fuel inlet valve is leaking which is under the fuel bowl. It's leaking because it's not sealing, possibly gunk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Go on You Tube search for installing a fuel shut off valve on a Briggs. There a quite a few video's there should be a cut out in the front plastic below fuel tank. If not you can drill a hole and make a notch easy enough. It is good to have a fuel shut off on any small engine. I find a way to add them even if there is very little room.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If the Float is "floating", and the Needle is properly seated, then the fuel level should never get to the top of the bowl; so either the composite Gasket at the bottom is leaking, or there's something (grit) preventing the Needle from completely seating.

·
Premium Member
880 Posts
^^ What he said!

The purpose of the float+needle+seat in a carburetor is to regulate the level of fuel in the bowl, and the level should never get to the top of the bowl... it usually runs about 3/4 full. Very similar to the fill valve in the tank on a toilet if you've ever dealt with one of those.

So if while the machine is sitting (I'm assuming it's sitting more or less level), fuel reaches the top of the bowl and leaks out, the float+needle+seat system is not doing its job. As Vermont007 said, a bit of dirt could be causing the needle not to seal against the seat. Or the float level could be misadjusted, or the float could have fuel in it and not be floating as much as it should.

With a plastic float, it's also possible that a little piece of plastic sticking out due to a manufacturing defect could get caught on the float bowl and prevent it moving freely.

·
Registered
417 Posts
After you install a fuel shutoff valve get in the habit of shutting off the fuel valve and letting the machine consume all of the gas before putting it away. That will help keep gunk from getting in the carb in the first place.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
The other thing is, check your oil, and see if it (or the dipstick) smells like gas. If the fuel is dripping like this, due to the float & needle-valve not working properly, gas can overflow into the intake, make its way to the cylinder, then leak down into the oil.

Oil contaminated with gas does not lubricate as well, and can result in engine damage. If it smells like gas, change the oil before running it. And preferably either fix this issue, or at least install a fuel shutoff, before changing the oil, or this will happen again.

What's the grey/white stuff around the lip at the top of the carb bowl?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello,

I am going to look on Youtube to how to install a shut off valve.

A few folks have been saying that the float/needle might have debris. Well as mentioned I took the bowl off and sprayed carb cleaner. I examined the float ,there's no liquid in it,its good. I took the lil needle out, its good. I carefully put it back in. I doubt there's anything wrong with the float/needle,but I could be wrong. They look brand new tho.

I'm going to buy a new gasket for the bolt that holds the bowl and a new gasket that goes on the top of the bowl since they are only a few dollars each.

For now though I will do the shut off valve thing and just let all the gas out when I store it (by letting it run til empy with valve shut to off).

I appreciate all the replies

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The other thing is, check your oil, and see if it (or the dipstick) smells like gas. If the fuel is dripping like this, due to the float & needle-valve not working properly, gas can overflow into the intake, make its way to the cylinder, then leak down into the oil.

Oil contaminated with gas does not lubricate as well, and can result in engine damage. If it smells like gas, change the oil before running it. And preferably either fix this issue, or at least install a fuel shutoff, before changing the oil, or this will happen again.

What's the grey/white stuff around the lip at the top of the carb bowl?
I will take a whiff of the oil

the stuff around the lip is the gas gook buildup. Like if I run it and shut it off, it won't appear for a few days. Then it will gradually start to form. Apparently it leaks from the top. So what you're looking at is build up that happens from 2 weeks after it was last running. Again its weird, it builds up while the machine is off and cold

1 - 13 of 13 Posts