Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys

I regularly see posts about carburetor replacement or cleanup. Is this device that troublesome ?

So far, I never had a problem with this device on any equipment I own. Have I just been lucky ?

At the moment, the oldest small engine I own is my snowblower which turns 20 this year.

Just looking to learn a bit.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Yes, it's that troublesome. Main reason, snowblower sits for 8-10 months of the year with old gas and if no snow, sits for another year, now 22 months! The volatile components evaporate leaving gel, varnish, rust, .....

·
Registered
939 Posts

Unfortunately it is a very troublesome part

Because lots of people are too lazy to read the manual and take the time to do what it says (add stabilizer, drain carb, run it till dry, etc). With $12 carbs available now it will only get worse. Just throw it out and put on another (if talented enough to do the R&R)

Also some people think its normal to leave a machine outside uncovered year around and avoid basic maintenance. These types rarely admit they're terrible at owning equipment and just love bitching about the manufacturer (or the shop's large repair bill) when there are issues. These are my favorite types.

You dont treat your machines like this I'll bet

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Unfortunately it is a very troublesome part

Because lots of people are too lazy (or dumb) to read the manual and take the time to do what it says (add stabilizer, drain carb, run it till dry, etc). With $12 carbs available now it will only get worse. Just throw it out and put on another (if talented enough to do the R&R)

Also some people think its normal to leave the machine outside uncovered and avoid performing basic maintenance. These types rarely admit they suck at owning equipment and love bitching about the manufacturer when there are issues. Love these types.

You dont treat your machines like this I'll bet

Dumb and lazy yes, but the lack of a fuel shut off valve in many new machines isn't helping.

I'd add ignorant to that list. Not ignorant in a bad way, just don't know.

When I deliver a machine I feel like I give a course in use. If the machine has a shutoff I tell them to turn it off and walk away when they are done.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Even a well maintained machines' carburetor will eventually need an inlet needle. All most owners can tell you is, "it runs like crap".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts