Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked this unit up a few weeks back. As I rolled it up my drive 3 days ago to begin working on it, I heard something rubbing in the gearbox as I rolled the machine. I got around to opening the belly pan yesterday to inspect inside their, unit has low hours, it has its original friction disk, skids and scraper with marginal wear. I noticed the larger chain is rubbing against the orange bar that goes across the bottom. The chain functions as it is supposed to with the machine running in gear, in tensions up enough to where it doesn't rub. However its slack and rubs when off just rolling the unit. All the bearings and bushings are good. I thought that bar was bent, its not, its straight going past under the chain. What's left? A stretched chain? What size is the chain? I can order a new one and replace it if need be. I have a spare chain from a 10,000 series maybe that will work. Odd though, unit has low hours. I attempted to adjust the tension, I loosened the two nuts holding the chain sprocket where it is. I pushed it up, until it was tight and re-tigtened the nuts. Didn't realize it at first, but they call to be tightened to 170-180 inch pounds max, anymore, its too tight and causes the thing to bind. So I overtigtened them the first time, it was hard to push could have been the nuts to tight, or the chain to tight or both. Will try re-adjusting today. Again unit functioned fine on, but chain rubs when off rolling the unit, which is annoying and it could wear out the chain over time. Does anyone elses rub, that isn't normal is it? What am I missing. About where on the slots should the sprocket be tightened down, how much should I tighten the nuts by hand, its hard to get a torque wrench in that area? You want a little bit of slack right, too tight would cause it to bind and be hard to push. Is the chain rubbing down their normal, should I get used to it, or is that wrong and need to be tightened up?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I had 2 of the 924 series I refurbished and sold last year ..... I do not remember any issue with any chain.

Is that cross-member supposed to be bent like that? ... It's butted up different on each side as well.

If you can't get it adjusted, I would just bolt in a piece of square stock of some type of poly to the lower cross-member or the inspection cover where the chain droops, thus giving the chain something to rub on with no ill effects and quiet. Just check it once in awhile.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
It sounds like you have already attempted the chain tension adjustment as per page 8 in the owners manual. Did you loosen the bolts and try readjusting the tension?

Any chance the axle bushings or bearings are worn out and causing slop in the chain?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
As Previously stated, the crossmember looks Bent like the machine was dropped on something.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had 2 of the 924 series I refurbished and sold last year ..... I do not remember any issue with any chain.

Is that cross-member supposed to be bent like that? ... It's butted up different on each side as well.

If you can't get it adjusted, I would just bolt in a piece of square stock of some type of poly to the lower cross-member or the inspection cover where the chain droops, thus giving the chain something to rub on with no ill effects and quiet. Just check it once in awhile.
It sounds like you have already attempted the chain tension adjustment as per page 8 in the owners manual. Did you loosen the bolts and try readjusting the tension?

Any chance the axle bushings or bearings are worn out and causing slop in the chain?
As Previously stated, the crossmember looks Bent like the machine was dropped on something.
Its weird the cross member does look bent, but its not, it goes across perfectly straight from both sides, not sure if that's a ding or if its a factory bend, but its the same height all the way across all the way from the right before where it looks bent all the way to the left. I'll look at it again closer, but I looked already, it goes across perfectly straight from side to side, if it was bent I would have straightened it out with a crescent wrench, but theirs nothing to bend its straight, its not sticking up farther on the chain side. I also tried the adjustment, however when I first made the adjustment, I over tightened the two nuts passed 170-180 inch pounds, too tight, I thought the chain was too tight and causing it to have to much tension when I tried to roll it, now I think It was just from overtightening the nuts for the sprocket, so at the time, I loosened it back up and dropped it down 1/4 the full length on the slot, however it is adjusting two chains at once, so maybe it was to tense. The chain and sprocket can go up the slot on the grooves another 1/4 the total adjustment. I haven't had time to look at it yet, because it rained all day yesterday and today I got side tracked on that other snapper blower and mower I found at the curb and mowing my lawn. I should have time to double check it and re-adjust it tomorrow. I will push the sprocket assembly all the way up and tighten the nuts to the 170 inch pounds as instructed and see if that fixes it. I will also look at that cross member 1 more time. If neither of those two fix it, I'm replacing the chain. The Ariens service manual says to replace that chain if the slop can't be adjusted out, so evidently those chains do stretch over time. What size chain is it if I have too, 40? I have a chain from a 10,000 I'll see if its the same size, if its also the same length or longer, I'll cut it to size, if not I'll just order some chain. I think I might have chain that size laying around from a few blowers I took apart, will see. Thanks for the help. I'll let ya know what I find.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you have it under control ..... Let us know your final results.
Okay, I finally got back to it today. The crossbar was not bent, it has a natural bend in it from the factory, an illustration verified that. Its just loosing paint like the rest of the unit which made it look that way. So I re-adjusted the sprocket roller assembly, just about all the way up. That took most of the slop out of the bottom chain, however it made the top chain just a bit to tense, I had to slightly cock that roller assembly than tighten down. This time I moved the tire and shift rod out of my way so I could use a torque wrench and get it to 170 inch pounds. It was slightly tense. I re-greased it, rolled the other wheel by hand and it smoothed out. The chain barely touched the crossbar this time, once in a blue moon it would make contact for a second. I took a dremel and grinded a bit of the metal on the crossbar off, now it doesn't touch at all. The main reason it did touch was the chain was probably slightly stretched, but after using the dremel it doesn't so its good to go. If it ever touched again, I will replace that chain. Progress is being made. This is going to be my personal unit. I just got a holy grail chute and deflector cable and control. I will also add a headlight, after I repaint the machine. Chains will be added to the tires. Eventually I will upgrade the front gearbox from aluminum to cast Iron, they sell an upgrade, but before I do that, I'm going to try and swap in my spare 10,000 gearbox. It works off the same augers, shaft and impeller, only the back shaft may have to be swapped out, will see, things gonna be a beast. Going to keep the original 8hp Tecumseh for now, it runs great and has low hours, when it tets tired I'll drop a Predator onto it. Anyone ever swap a 10,000 gearbox onto an 80's 924000 Ariens yet.

Reactions: quexpress

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm going to try and swap in my spare 10,000 gearbox. It works off the same augers, shaft and impeller, only the back shaft may have to be swapped out, will see, things gonna be a beast. Going to keep the original 8hp Tecumseh for now, it runs great and has low hours, when it gets tired I'll drop a Predator onto it. Anyone ever swap a 10,000 gearbox onto an 80's 924000 Ariens yet.
Very interesting! I'm anxious to see if this gearbox swap is plug and play! (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts