Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the 16x4.80x8 wheel size on my 1124 is a bit oddball. Not even Ariens carries them.
I discovered Husqvarna makes a quality set in size 16x4x8. I have no clue what problem the .8" smaller size makes, if any.
I called a local dealer about this. The parts guy said they would "probably fit, but it will be tight, and you'll have to reduce tire pressure".
Does anyone here have suggestions or comments? TIA.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
Will the dealer you called let you try the smaller size to see if they fit and return them if they don't ??

Or if you're feeling strong and have a vise, go bigger and pull links out until you fit them to your tire size. Or use a bungee cord to take up the slack.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
If you're going to be making/repairing/resizing chains I strongly urge you to get something like this.
You'll save yourself lots of time and energy. I've had a set for years.
Something else. When you do get your chains deflate your tires anyway. Install the chains and re-inflate. So much easier.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This dealer said to try to find a small tractor shop that will make custom sizes.
Though, apparently I'm not looking hard enough: A buddy found a link to a site that has some sizes. I have to research further because one eBay site advertised flimsy chain as fitting size 'YY' thru 'ZZ', which looked more like a one-size-fits-all deal.
So, never needed chains before this winter. Must be getting older.
Thanks everyone for the super quick, always excellent reply's.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
This dealer said to try to find a small tractor shop that will make custom sizes.
Though, apparently I'm not looking hard enough: A buddy found a link to a site that has some sizes. I have to research further because one eBay site advertised flimsy chain as fitting size 'YY' thru 'ZZ', which looked more like a one-size-fits-all deal.
So, never needed chains before this winter. Must be getting older.
Thanks everyone for the super quick, always excellent reply's.
Look back up to post #2. Can get any size you want. Good chains too and I believe you can get a few different styles. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
"When you do get your chains deflate your tires anyway. Install the chains and re-inflate. So much easier."

+1 , That's the only way to go.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe, thanks. Great tip of the tire pressure trick. I doubt I would have thought of it.
I haven't yet followed the link you posted - spent the day raking snow off the roofs, then hacking channels into the huge ice dams that had built up. Can no longer use the right hand to hold my beer :~]
Will follow the link as posted above, and follow up here how it turns out. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
132 Posts
"When you do get your chains deflate your tires anyway. Install the chains and re-inflate. So much easier."

+1 , That's the only way to go.
+2, Yup pull the valve core, install chain snug on the deflated tire, reinstall core, air it up and it will be tight and won't fall off or slip no bungee or wires required that way.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Follow-up:
TireChains.com does indeed have the size and style that will work. This one add-on will greatly enhance traction on the powerful, but lightweight, Ariens 1124 (924122).
Aside: Bought this in 2004, has lived-up to every expectation since. Hadn't noted the traction issue until this winter. What a winter it has been :~\
A fist-bump to micah68kj for the link and the other tips he gave. Thanks to everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts