Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Husqvarna XP saw a couple of years ago and with their XP oil, it doesn't smoke any more (like the older saws). Sometimes I wonder if I'm running straight gas.

Any other manufacturers doing this?

I always liked 2 strokes for weight savings, but dislike the smoke smell in the clothes afterward. Ive rid myself of 2 stroke snowblowers, and even drive a 4 stroke snowmobile.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I bought a new Husqvarna XP saw a couple of years ago and with their XP oil, it doesn't smoke any more (like the older saws). Sometimes I wonder if I'm running straight gas.

Any other manufacturers doing this?
Finally, a chainsaw thread. Stilh saws and Stihl saw oil has been at a 50:1 mix for a number of years now. The 50:1 mix reduced oil mix reduces smoke considerably. From Stihl: "Mixing too much oil in the gasoline can cause its own set of problems. It can cause a buildup of carbon on the piston and rings that can build up, break off and score a piston or it could cause the rings
to stick which can lead to a loss of compression."

·
Registered
210 Posts
Finally, a chainsaw thread. Stilh saws and Stihl saw oil has been at a 50:1 mix for a number of years now. The 50:1 mix reduced oil mix reduces smoke considerably. From Stihl: "Mixing too much oil in the gasoline can cause its own set of problems. It can cause a buildup of carbon on the piston and rings that can build up, break off and score a piston or it could cause the rings
Chainsaws :) I have a few. In every 2 stroke, i run Stihl synthetic 50:1. I have stihl trimmers, blowers, etc, but only Husqvarna saws, including the newest, a 545, and a modified 562XP with a dual port muffler, ported and polished, and a bit higher compresion than stock. It eats 70cc saws.

Back to 2 strokes, you might not see smoke, but there is odor. Ran a gallon of 2stroke through my Stihl 600 Manum blower since yesterday, and my clothing has a bit of the smell. And yes, its in tune.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Chainsaws :) I have a few. In every 2 stroke, i run Stihl synthetic 50:1. I have stihl trimmers, blowers, etc, but only Husqvarna saws, including the newest, a 545, and a modified 562XP with a dual port muffler, ported and polished, and a bit higher compresion than stock. It eats 70cc saws.

Back to 2 strokes, you might not see smoke, but there is odor. Ran a gallon of 2stroke through my Stihl 600 Manum blower since yesterday, and my clothing has a bit of the smell. And yes, its in tune.

Bet that 545 is sweet. I've got the 445 Husqvarna which I love and several Stihl's including the STIHL MS 193 C-E which is sooo lite.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is interesting isn't it?

My dealer sells both Stihl and Husqvarna saws and they say you can't go wrong with either of their mix oils. I may be weird, but I stay brand specific, so I keep both Husky and Stihl oil on hand.

Husqvarna has been using 50:1 for quite a while and the early mix oil (including the box-store level stuff) is a synthetic blend and it does still smoke. I've noticed their full synthetic XP and Stihl HP Ultra full synth does not smoke, or very little smoke, usually at start-up only. Nice stuff.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't see your post before I sent mine.

I've got a stock 562XP and I love it. Did you mod it yourself or did you take it somewhere, or send it out? I've been wondering if it would be worth it.

I've run 372XP's (and 357s) and I love them, but the 562 is a sweet spot for me. I would love to have just a little more power though.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Bet that 545 is sweet. I've got the 445 Husqvarna which I love and several Stihl's including the STIHL MS 193 C-E which is sooo lite.
i have an 028 and 036 both muffler modded. i love chainsaws as well. As far as oil goes my friends that do tree work all use amsoil saber they swear by it for equipment longevity and it doesn't smoke they run it at 80:1 in all their commercial equipment.

·
Registered
210 Posts
It is. Im a big fan of the electronic Auto tune. Ive run my saws in 90 degree heat in Ct, and up in Vermont at 2000+ foot elevation in 20 degree weather, and spot on in tune. Thats tough on a two stroke. Too rich and they run like crap. Too lean, and Kabbom.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I didn't see your post before I sent mine.

I've got a stock 562XP and I love it. Did you mod it yourself or did you take it somewhere, or send it out? I've been wondering if it would be worth it.

I've run 372XP's (and 357s) and I love them, but the 562 is a sweet spot for me. I would love to have just a little more power though.
I replaced (but still have) a 257. I sent the 562 to a Tennessee custom builder. He did a woods porting to it, and opened it to to breath much better than stock. He could go to a race mod, but i didnt go that far. In hind site, maybe i should have, since i dont use it much. But its all day work relaible, unlike a race tune. Thus is where auto tune shines, it adjusts to all the work done to the engine so it wont blow up from being too lean.

Id say it wold run with your 372xp. But each saw can be a bit different. Out of the box, some can be a bit doggish, and others are special.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you use Terry Landrum's Wicked Work Saw?

Mind if I ask how much the woods porting ran you?

I don't own any 372s, just ran friends, or employers. I own a '91 model 51 and a 2016 562 as well as an old Stihl 09 and 032AV, but they are truly tired out old saws.

I replaced (but still have) a 257. I sent the 562 to a Tennessee custom builder. He did a woods porting to it, and opened it to to breath much better than stock. He could go to a race mod, but i didnt go that far. In hind site, maybe i should have, since i dont use it much. But its all day work relaible, unlike a race tune. Thus is where auto tune shines, it adjusts to all the work done to the engine so it wont blow up from being too lean.

Id say it wold run with your 372xp. But each saw can be a bit different. Out of the box, some can be a bit doggish, and others are special.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd like to ask you about how you like your 445, but I think it should be on another thread. I'll start one if you read this and want to discuss it. My neighbor is thinking about buying a used one and they don't seem to have them at Lowes any longer.

I don't know anything about them.

Thanks,

- Joe

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I'd like to ask you about how you like your 445, but I think it should be on another thread. I'll start one if you read this and want to discuss it. My neighbor is thinking about buying a used one and they don't seem to have them at Lowes any longer.

I don't know anything about them.

Thanks,

- Joe
The reviews pretty much sum it up.
From the Chainsaw Journal: "The Husqvarna 445 is a fantastic well-rounded chainsaw that’s been engineered for homeowners who need a balanced saw that’s also easy to use."
Balanced, easy to use in my book means also a very safe saw for folks like me who don't use a saw day in and day out.
www.chainsawjournal.com/husqvarna-445-chainsaw-review/

I purchased mine from the same "out in the country" Husqvarna full line dealer that I got my snowblower from. The guy is 35-40 minutes from my house but well worth the drive.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
If I feel that I would need a bigger more powerful saw for the job at hand I call the pros. This spring I had 4 trees professionally removed. 2 large choke cherrys near the deck and house and 2 large locusts that were heavy leaners. Not really leaning towards anything but large and leany enough to have taken down at the same time and the cherrys.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did you use Terry Landrum's Wicked Work Saw?

Mind if I ask how much the woods porting ran you?

I don't own any 372s, just ran friends, or employers. I own a '91 model 51 and a 2016 562 as well as an old Stihl 09 and 032AV, but they are truly tired out old saws.
Yes, it was terry. Id have to dig around for the price, it was several years ago. It wasnt cheap, and shipping a saw halfway across the country wasnt cheap either. But its a eye opener when you put a 24" bar on it, and take a full depth plunge cut into OAK.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This was a big tree public works dropped on roadside of buddies house. His stihl wasn't up to task. Cut up all the wood in a hour or so. Put a big grin on his face.

Wood makes the saw look small.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did read his review, but I was a little leery as the first set of photos is the 435. Could just be an simple mistake.

I do like buying from a dealer. They have to hear from you if they sell bum saws. It goes a long way in my book for recommendations.

Thanks...and enjoy your equipment.

The reviews pretty much sum it up.
From the Chainsaw Journal: "The Husqvarna 445 is a fantastic well-rounded chainsaw that’s been engineered for homeowners who need a balanced saw that’s also easy to use."
Balanced, easy to use in my book means also a very safe saw for folks like me who don't use a saw day in and day out.
www.chainsawjournal.com/husqvarna-445-chainsaw-review/

I purchased mine from the same "out in the country" Husqvarna full line dealer that I got my snowblower from. The guy is 35-40 minutes from my house but well worth the drive.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't go through any hassle to look it up. I can always email him. I figured it would be between $300-$400 for a woods port, maybe a little higher. I'm going to start with a muffler mod. I'm pretty dern happy even with it stock.

Yes, it was terry. Id have to dig around for the price, it was several years ago. It wasnt cheap, and shipping a saw halfway across the country wasnt cheap either. But its a eye opener when you put a 24" bar on it, and take a full depth plunge cut into OAK.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those are always cool shots to see. Thanks for posting them.

Biggest tree I've fell with my 562 was a little over 30" (and a good 80 ft tall), a dying American Beech that got hit with the dreaded Beech Scale. But on average the biggest I usually cut is under 20" with a couple of road blow-down Sugar Maples two weeks ago that were 22" and 24".

I sure do love burning Sugar Maple and Beech in the stove.

I'm really happy with this 562...would love to try out a ported one...maybe some day :)

***We're gonna get tagged to discuss this on another thread. If we do, we should copy these posts over. I do love talking about saws and timber.

This was a big tree public works dropped on roadside of buddies house. His stihl wasn't up to task. Cut up all the wood in a hour or so. Put a big grin on his face.

Wood makes the saw look small.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
We're gonna get tagged to discuss this on another thread. I do love talking about saws and timber.
Ya think :moved:

When you hijack a thread with two out of three pages being off topic you can pretty much bet someone is going to catch you.
BUT all you need do is start a thread of your interest in the lounge and all is right in the world again. :icon-dancingparty:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks there KF4.

Thread mentioned 2 stroke, then went to 2 stroke exhaust, then straight to chainsaws...couldn't help myself. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts