Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I gave up trying to get my 5hp Briggs to work, and dug out a new in box champion 6.5 that had been sitting on a shelf for several years.
The change over was very easy,the only difficulty was hooking up the belts. All that remains to be done is creating a throttle cable,and finding a bolt and small spacer for the end of the out put shaft, oil and gas.
Has any one used one of these engines? What is the break in procedure? Thanks in advance,Tom

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Hi Tom and welcome to the forum, where do you live?
The Champion engines are likely not winterized but should work fairly good. You will see if it starts and run good as the jet might need enlargement slightly but if it runs good then the better off you are.
For the break-in, you should run the engine for 5 hours under snow throwing condition the change the oil to synthetic if you like.
Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Normex, I live in a suburb of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Other than opening the jet if needed,what is different between the winterized engines and summer engines?
regards ,Tom

·
Registered
792 Posts
Hi Tom,
Welcome to the Forum. Generally, the main difference between "summer" engines and "winterized" engines is the latter have the air filter removed and replaced with a "heater box." Since there is little dust to worry about in snowy conditions, an air filter is not necessary. The heater box encloses the carburetor to keep out snow and to allow a slight warming effect from the exhaust. Oil for winter operation is 5W30 on most machines. MH

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The heater box is to keep the carburetor from freezing up. Carburetor icing is a rather rare condition but it can occur when the humidity is at the dewpoint and the temperature is below 32 degrees. I put in a sheild to prevent icing of the governor linkages. I made the sheild out of aluminum and it goes between the gas tank and the engine block up to the area near the exhaust area. So far I had not had to do anything to the carburetor and I been OK. I also have a heated garage too and I have the blower inside at steady 35 or so degrees so it is ice and snow free when I use it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts