Snowblower Forum banner

Changing Oil on the Ariens Deluxe 28

13K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  old ope mechanic 
#1 ·
Maybe a newbie question but I wanted information on how to change the oil on my 921 series Deluxe 28 snowblower. It must come with different types of engines (depending on the serial number) because mine does not have the oil drain tube as is mentioned in the manual and shown in most videos. I guess the oil drain plug is on the side just above the wheel. I assume you have to take the wheel off then to drain the oil?

#5 ·
I've used different things in different situations.

I've used a long neck funnel, I've used a flexible funnel, I've used funnels with the funnel head cut with a jig saw shorter to make it smaller, I've used a very small funnel leading into a larger funnel, I've used a rectangular lotion or shampoo bottle with the top and bottom cut out sitting inside a funnel, I've used a small funnel going into a 1 liter aids bottle. And I've put a piece of pipe with a 90 going to the back or even pointed down along the side, this way I lift the machine up on the tire so I can put the drain pan underneath. Most of the drain pans are a 1 gallon rectangular. At times with the rear of the snowblower during on a 6"x 6" landscape tie.

#6 ·
Fumoto and Briggs also make shutoff/drain valves that are an option. Those typically go into the engine, and you attach the hose when draining instead of having the hose there all the time.

The bottom line is that you only have to do it the hard and messy way that, sadly, the Mfg. of the machine gave you - the parts are out there to make it simple, and for not much $$.

#11 ·
Without sounding like I'm :icon-deadhorse:
Get one of these. If you do any maintenance on your OPE or vehicles involving fluids, this thing is the best. Doesn't have to be this brand, just saying. Have a lawnmower you never change the oil on because it doesn't have a drain plug near the blades like your dad's mower did? Ever paid $69 for a transfer case fluid swap? Ever paid $240 for an oil change and filter on an I/O boat? I have. Not anymore. It also can pump out the old stuff to recycle into the carrier of your choice. I've done the funnel, sliced 2 liter pop bottle, cut off end of oil quart bottle, aluminum foil trickle down, bent poster board run down and the old roasting pan "tip and pray it lines up" drain:icon-doh:. I have 2, one for draining and one for filling (if you've ever tried to fill a GM transfer case DIY....).

all that plus filling these new auto tranies that don't have a dip stick, those tools you show are the best and are a mechanics best friend

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.