Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ariens still under Warranty that had a very slow oil leak from the day I brought it home. SO I figured I would bring it to the dealer during the summer. I did not play with it to avoid and create issues of voiding the warranty. SO after waiting all summer for them to do the work they stated I will be charged a diagnosis/maintenance fee since they found nothing wrong with it and nothing was replaced. They claimed it was just a breather valve leak ( which is normal). I asked if that may have been the issue prior to bringing it in. Well to say the least I am very very disappointed and quite upset.:[email protected]:
Was wondering what your take is on this.
PS I would of been fine if I was warned and given fair notice on this.
thanks

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you feel like raising ****, then I would !

... but if you're not that type of person, then I'd contact Ariens and raise **** with them.
The manufacturer should be on your side.

I would not give them my business any longer, but there are many dealer choices near me.
You may not be so lucky.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Not that it really matters, but did you originally purchase your machine from that same dealer? If so, I'd certainly take my business elsewhere in the future. That's just really poor customer relations. What's next.....charging a storage fee for the amount of time the machine sat in his shop???

·
Registered
180 Posts
First thing I would have asked you is how many hours are on it because its not uncommon to get some out the breather before its broken in. Did you actually have to add any oil and how much? Also to make sure the oil is not over filled. I also would not have charged to ck it. But that's up to the dealer.

·
Registered
326 Posts
On my new Hydro pro 36, after the first couple uses I wanted to learn about the transmission. So I drained the gas and oil and rolled it onto the bucket. Then I removed the belly pan.
There was a huge amount of dried grease and perhaps oil sitting on the pan. I used WD40 and cleaned it up. I noticed the engine and tranny completely dry,

So I put it down on it's wheels and put back the oil and gas. Used it until spring where I took it apart again for inspection. Everything looks good.

There is a possibility on some of your machines (likely mine) the oil leaking was at the factory where they over filled or spilled something then is settled on the belly pan and found it's way onto the garage floor?

·
Premium Member
1,080 Posts
Yea, I don't take anything back to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Some good responses here and I had a similar issue with a previous Ariens machine I owned it was the same one you have the limited edition Deluxe 28 with the 414cc motor and mine seemed to have an oil leak what an Ariens headquarter tech told me was that the oil leak was likely caused during shipping. The oil was leaking from the top of the cylinder head after running for 15 minutes or so. I called the dealer who was an hour away and he stated the box that my unit came in was soaked in oil. It seemed to go away after a couple of uses. Additionally my unit had a gear case leak. I also didn't like the side discharge oil drain on this unit. I ended up returning my unit to the dealer for a refund and buying a Platinum 24 SHO at a local dealer I trust. I am very happy with this machine with the exception of the worst gas cap ever designed, literally has taken me up to 10 minutes to get back on the strainer has to be removed, defeating its purpose. Ariens will likely change it soon on the DL as they did with Auto-Turn.

I would contact Ariens corporate on Monday morning and hopefully they will reimburse you and have a conversation with this seemingly unscrupulous dealer, that they approved as an authorized dealer. Hind sight is always 20/20 but with a dealer like this you're better off going big box or ordering from snowblowers direct and assembling it yourself. Best of luck and please let us know how it turned out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My brand new pro 28 with efi and hydrostatic transmission also leaked oil out of the belly pan and seemed to be coming out of the valve cover gasket. This was before I even started it. I wiped up all of the oil and cleaned out the belly pan as well as my garage floor which I wasn't very pleased to have oil all over. Haven't noticed any new oil anywhere so I assum they just spill oil all over the dang place at the factory..... Time will tell I haven't got to use it yet.

·
Registered
842 Posts
hope all these leaks don't give ariens to many bad ratings,

seeing a lot of loose valve covers on the china made LCT engines coming in for repair work, been fixing them with new gaskets covered with brown aviation gasket sealer on both side, so they can be easily removed later,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts