Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see an increase in US manufacturers starting to install Chinese motors..Toro, Ariens(sno-tek) , husqvarna, ...
I am not real thrilled about this. Being in the commercial laundry equipment service business I see alot of Chinese after market parts. How good are they ??? Some are and some are not..Products from Chinese manufacturers bring us 2 major issues. The first is initial quality control. It is generally poor. The manufacturer buying their products really has to stay on top of the factory supplying the parts or product. The second problem I see is that the Chinese factory changes the specifications of their product in mid production with out informing the US company. Quality is inconsistent. It varies from factory to factory and from production run to production run and any time in between. We have seen many problems, and in turn many costly headaches with everything from grade 8 bolts snapped in half to v-belts that last less than a month. Not to mention bearings that literally self destruct.
Yes I buy some tools from Harbor Freight..you can not beat the price..But I know that am I going to throw that $15 dollar angle grinder in the garbage after 2 months....that is "IF" it works right out of the box !!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is too early for me to give a recommendation on my LCT (Chinese) 208 cc. engine on an Ariens compact 22 for durability, but it is the only small engine device I have ever had that literally started on the first pull right off the truck and every time since. I haven't even tried the electric starter yet. It passed a recent test on about 9 inches of real heavy wet snow here in Maryland.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Japanese products suffered from the same issues early on, what their government did was pass a quality control law on exported products. We all know the results, some of the finest products out there. China needs to follow suit, so many of their products just do not make the grade. There are exceptions, the one cylinder marine diesels that they were pushing years back have shown their worth. I am thinking of using one on a TB tractor I have come spring. Back to China, I work at a place that sells trailer parts, the Chinese bearings do not make it through a season. They are not worth the bad rap we get from customers, Timken is the only way to go.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My 2011 Toro 421 has a Chinese Loncin engine on it.
Am I happy about it, No!
Am I happy with it, Yes!

So far it has been great, but I very nearly purchased the 221 Toro just to keep away from the Chinese engine.
I really didn't want a 2 stroke machine so I didn't have a lot of choice.

It remains to be seen how it lasts, but as of right now, I am pleased with my decision to buy the 421, Chinese engine or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Phil, I agree relative to bearings. I'm in automotive and we gave up on the cheap wheel bearings. We only use Timken, however a lot of them are made in Poland, Mexico Italy etc. I guess it is not where it is made, but how it is made. It is getting harder and harder to know the quality until you put it to the test.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The important thing is that American companies that have their products made in China is that they have to be made to specs provided by the company. If not, the China company may not have their contract renewed and could also be the subject of bad press as was the case of the Mattell toy products that were found to contain lead paint.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The important thing is that American companies that have their products made in China is that they have to be made to specs provided by the company. If not, the China company may not have their contract renewed and could also be the subject of bad press as was the case of the Mattell toy products that were found to contain lead paint.
I wonder who provided the specs to Loncin for the engine used on the Toro Power Clear 180.
In case you don't know, Toro had to recall something like 40,000 of them because of leaking gas from the carburetor.
Not just a little drip, but a continuous leak that will empty the fuel tank either all over the floor or fill the crankcase with gas. Not a good thing if either happens.
There is a rumor that the problem may exist on the Power Clear 421 as well.
(Which I own one of) :mad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm running 3 of these Chinese engines in a MTD, 357 cc 13 hp. One 357cc 13 hp in a Hillbillie JD 110 Garden Tractor and a 6.6hp in a power gen. If your mechanical these design match Honda who have these Chinese companies make their engines anyway, just like any manufacture has done is the USA.

Take a look at the GSX parts list and your Chinese knock off parts list. The Part numbers are the same and when you can just purchase any parts from your local Honda dealer.

That being said I've never had any problems with these engines,yet. Plus they start just like a honda

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am just one of those guys that hates seeing the chinese takeover our markets on anything! I REFUSE to buy anything chinese if I can help it and if I can't find something new then I turn to my handy tool ebay to find whatever it may be I'm looking for that is most likely used but made in the USA!!!! I won't be buying a China POS snowblower or engine ever! Just my .02 though I grew up old school and this stuff get my patriotic blood boiling!!!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am just one of those guys that hates seeing the chinese takeover our markets on anything! I REFUSE to buy anything chinese if I can help it and if I can't find something new then I turn to my handy tool ebay to find whatever it may be I'm looking for that is most likely used but made in the USA!!!! I won't be buying a China POS snowblower or engine ever! Just my .02 though I grew up old school and this stuff get my patriotic blood boiling!!!!!
While I share many of your feelings, it's a tough call for me.
50 years ago, I bought an American made GE washing machine, had to replace a bearing and the bearing was marked "Made in Japan". So much for American made even back then.

So how do we buy American made? Many of the parts are outsourced and then assembled here and labeled "American made".
Buicks made in Canada, Hondas made in Ohio, many, many pats made in Mexico and now many parts being made in China.
Same way with tools and clothing. Made in India, Pakistan, China, Indonesia, and then sold with an old line American label on them.

Consumers have to share a lot of the blame, but the manufacturers are certainly not blameless.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with you Charles!!! It really is our own faults along with crappy Companies for less and less being made in the USA!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
At Wall-mart our prices are cheaper and all we all walk in.

I'm guilty! Just could not afford the Honda labeled Made in China engine. I do hate wearing my Made in china boots, shoes, pants tee shirts and the best of all My Chargriller Texas Grille - china.

**** up here in the great white north our Mounted Police dolls are made in china.

I give up

·
Registered
143 Posts
The only things I want from China are Firecrackers, Rice, and China Plates!!!!!
Chances are, you already have a lot more "Made in China" products than those in your home right now.:D

Back to Chinese engines in snowblowers,
FWIW, I found this info on another site. It is supposedly from Briggs & Stratton's web site.

The Briggs and Stratton consumer engines manufactured outside the United States are:
  • 700 Series™ DOV®
  • 550, 800, 900, 1100, 1150 Series™ Utility
  • 800, 900, 1150 Snow Series™

The Briggs and Stratton commercial grade engines manufactured outside of the United States include:

• Vanguard™ V-Twin Horizontal and Vertical Shaft
  • Vanguard™ 3 Cylinder
  • Vanguard™ Single Cylinder Horizontal Shaft (except Model 19)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Charles I know I already have way to much Chinese crap than I should!!! Not that I'm trying to slam them but hey they just don't make good stuff compared to the ''Made in the USA" stuff especially of old! I was talking to a local Ariens dealer on Saturday and they said they will not stock any Snow Tek Blowers beacuse of Quality issues!!! That says it all I think!!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a Honda HR214 mower and will never have to buy another mower again.
With that said I would say and heard the chinese motors seem to be all right.
As much as I hate that also, since it takes jobs from us, but it is supply in demand and cost. If that same engine was made in the good ol USA it would cost 100% more
If we would put a greater import tax on these products it would bring jobs back and also start charging more for exporting are products that other countries want.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Alot of these Chinese engine are made to specs from the buyer.. i.e.. bearings quality etc... so the "same" engine on one snow thrower may be very different on another.. MTD is a good example.

I have a generator (and used it a lot during Irene) that I'm sure has a Chinese engine and it just purred for 4 days... ran most of my house on it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts