Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all. I just wanted to say hi. I’m new to the forum, but have been enjoying the wealth of info and respect that the users here provide. Your assistance has helped to lean me in the direction of my latest toy. I managed to get the last HSS928ATD on Home Depot. In fact. I think it’s the last 2 stage period on the site. Preferring to assist the dealer market, I had managed to locate 2 other Honda HSS models in my state. But one was sold within days and the other just did not seem right. After seeing the H.D. Inventory slash to one remaining model I had to make the move. With the approval from the real boss in the family. 😉 I don’t have much else to provide at the moment. The new family member arrives in 3-6 weeks. Much shorter than 9.5 months. So. At that time I’m sure I’ll be the crazy man pushing around his Blower up and down the neighborhood with a huge, albeit probably scary, grin from ear to ear. Take care and god bless. Mike.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Honda's are great machines, I have done some of The neighbours driveways on occasion as well just to get more use with the machine, even if it's just the window at the end of the driveway where the plow went by.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Another post mentioned a chute retainer plate fell off his machine after first use, and another poster had problems with his machine from the first day (sold by Lowe's). Since the big box stores do not have professional mechanics assembling these machines, you might grab a few wrenches and go over the machine to simply make sure the nuts and bolts are wrench tight. Don't go overboard...I'm just suggesting you check that they are not loose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Welcome indeed. Congrats on your new machine. I have one just like it and love it. This forum will help you get the most out of it. Yes, Home Depot has always sold Honda Snowblowers, but the high and ever increasing price causes them to keep inventory very low. They have always been hard to find. The first place I saw a Honda 928 was at Home Depot, for the princely sum of $2599. The current $3399 MSRP for an HSS928ATD would have bought you a bigger 1332ATD just three seasons ago when I bough my 928 at the local Honda dealer. I wanted to use my military discount at HD, but they were not stocking the tracked 928ATD model at that time. Full price three years ago represents a deep discount now. The most expensive showblower my local Colorado Home Depot has on the lot this year costs half the current price for a Honda 928ATD. And even at that they are low on inventory compared to previous years. In this era of supply chain delays and retail shortages, count on short stock for all sorts of machines and on the spare parts to keep them running. For now get some spare shear bolts for your auger and learn now to install them before the season gets into full swing, (being out of commission due to running out of cheap shear bolts in a blizzard is not fun) buy some StaBil or Sea Foam to keep alcohol infused gas from gumming up your carb, and read up on operating & maintaining your machine on this forum. Then get ready to enjoy some heavy duty snow removal. Enjoy! You bought a great machine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another post mentioned a chute retainer plate fell off his machine after first use, and another poster had problems with his machine from the first day (sold by Lowe's). Since the big box stores do not have professional mechanics assembling these machines, you might grab a few wrenches and go over the machine to simply make sure the nuts and bolts are wrench tight. Don't go overboard...I'm just suggesting you check that they are not loose.
I fully agree with the big box concerns. That’s one reason I was hoping to locate at a dealer. Along with the ability to help out small business. But I would be Leary of placing all blame on the store assembly. I work for Honda in the automotive division. I can’t speak to our small engine plant, but I feel that all commerce is being impacted in quality and delivery. As a manufacturing facility, quality requires consistency. And any abnormal disruption will have possibilities of impact. My view is that for the time being I will take the extra step to look over any product I’m buying. It’s sad we’re in this state. But I’d rather do my part and spot the concern first. Thanks for the support and god bless.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Big box stores are a problem.....as a former assembler for grills L&G equipment we knew it went out the door correct with out a buggerd up screwhead. They walked 5 of us out the door one day and we were replaced with non-USA workers. Both Lowes and HD outsource all of that work now to cheap labor.....so caution buy it in the box and build it yourself. Most if not all of the Dealers are out of stock.....you might luck out at an ACE Hardware.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another new member. I had picked up a last-years model Ariens 24 platinum 24 sho in august. I was going to get a current year model from a local lawn and garden shop, but every time I called they were still waiting for their shipment to come in. I had purchased a new zero-turn mower from them in early spring. found the one I wanted on E-bbay and called the seller direct, they were one state away from me. They were a outdoor power equipment dealer, It was new in the box, had them ship it to my retired brothers house. Im glad I didn't wait, I watched as the price on them jumped 200$ before they ran-out of them. stopped by the local place a week ago and they are still waiting for the rest of their shipment. Im glad to hear you found what you wanted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you ever take delivery of this machine yet? What was your experience with ordering it from Home Depot? Thank you!

Why I ask I am having a hard time tracking down a HSS Honda in Metro Detroit did not know if you had a good experience or not. I would prefer to buy from a dealer, but some around here have been less than ideal to work with on the sales side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any update on your experience with purchasing from Hope Depot? Thank you!
Sorry about not responding. And yes. I can now say that I’m a happy father of a bad ass HSS928. I haven’t picked out any names yet. But if I’d listen to my daughter, he’d be named favorite. In regards to the experience. It was pretty good. In the case of online only orders, I believe it comes directly from Honda. Or at least this one did. The blower is fully assembled and crated. So not much for Depot to interfere with. They also had the 20% reduction in cost compared to dealer. If you can find one in the store go for it. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you for the updated!

Why I asked is because I just purchased one from Home Depot just a few days ago as none of the local Honda Dealers had one and I wanted some reassurance went smooth. Stock is limited for sure, but not existent.

Mine is coming out of Chicago area to Michigan.

Sorry about not responding. And yes. I can now say that I’m a happy father of a bad ass HSS928. I haven’t picked out any names yet. But if I’d listen to my daughter, he’d be named favorite. In regards to the experience. It was pretty good. In the case of online only orders, I believe it comes directly from Honda. Or at least this one did. The blower is fully assembled and crated. So not much for Depot to interfere with. They also had the 20% reduction in cost compared to dealer. If you can find one in the store go for it. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Why I asked is because I just purchased one from Home Depot just a few days ago as none of the local Honda Dealers had one and I wanted some reassurance went smooth. Stock is limited for sure, but not existent.

Congrats. What model did you get? The shipping will most likely be a different company. They sub contracted mine. My only issue was being available to get the calls from the shipper. I gave my cell initially. But was needing it be routed to my work cell. I ended up having a bit of a stressful time coordinating the time. But that was on me. As a tip. I’d never used call forwarding. Had I of known about it, the delivery would have been much easier.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Believe the same as you, HSS928ATDA.

Ordered it last Saturday and was delivered to the store yesterday. Still need to pick it up.

Congrats. What model did you get? The shipping will most likely be a different company. They sub contracted mine. My only issue was being available to get the calls from the shipper. I gave my cell initially. But was needing it be routed to my work cell. I ended up having a bit of a stressful time coordinating the time. But that was on me. As a tip. I’d never used call forwarding. Had I of known about it, the delivery would have been much easier.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Got mine in a crate right from the Honda dealer, got it home and somebody had ripped off the oil, so went straight to Castrol Edge 5-30 from day one, had 20 ltr to burn up from our VW day's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got mine in a crate right from the Honda dealer, got it home and somebody had ripped off the oil, so went straight to Castrol Edge 5-30 from day one, had 20 ltr to burn up from our VW day's.
I went ahead and put in synthetic as well. I always use royal purple in my cars. Afterward I read that we shouldn’t go to synthetic until after the first change to allow the motor to break in. I’m not fully sure if I should drain and put in the Honda before the snow gets here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts