Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received an 26" 8.5hp 2-stage for free and I don't have much room to store it in my garage. Can anyone share, or point me to clever ways to store it without taking up much space? I continue to search the forums but have not found much. Thx.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Some people store them in "service position" with no loss of oil, nor any damage. You may have to have only 1/2 a tank of gas or less.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Plenty of people around here keep them outside year round, usually under a deck or the eaves of their house.

If possible I'd try to claim a corner of your garage, since the last thing I want to do is clear two feet of snow off my blower before using it

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Whatever you do please don't store it outside under one of those plastic tarps. You dig it out in the fall and it will be a pile of rust or well on the way. The ground moisture goes up and has nowhere to go. It will work if you build some type of frame and cover that but it will still need some air circulation. 3 pallets in a U shape ought to work.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I am fortunate to be able to keep mine in the middle between two cars in a double garage. But if I didn't have that room, I would never... put a car outside and keep the sno thro inside. Clear off a car and work around a car... never happening with me.

shed or build a lean-to on side of garage? i leave my car out during the winter so i can store the blowers. really would rather clean the car off than dig out the snowblower.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I would at minimum, build a small shed for it. Get yourself some 4x4 (6x6 better) pressure treated timbers, lay them down … use some 2x4 for walls, texture (T1-11) for siding, frame out a roof and put some nice roof panels. Just make sure your roof has enough slope for snow, seal the underside soffits with screening, or put in some vents, as you want air flow for ventilation. You will find many plans on line, and certainly something someone can do without much skill level.

I personally built a garage in the back of my property shortly after I moved in over 30 years ago, but I have a lot of equipment, and wanted a work space as well. I brought out underground 60 amp service, as well as intercom to house, phone, and extra conduit for water, but never used it … :)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Lol … I actually added this nice Bolens 21 inch to my above collection … :) All these machines I obtained for free and fixed them, except for my fathers Yardman 7100.

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
I am fortunate to be able to keep mine in the middle between two cars in a double garage. But if I didn't have that room, I would never... put a car outside and keep the sno thro inside. Clear off a car and work around a car... never happening with me.
good for you. I leave the car out so I can work and make extra money repairing snowblowers. only part time but have done over 250 in last 3 years. stopped counting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I decided I needed a snowblower I had almost zero room left in the yard, so I moved some stuff out of the way threw some hinges on a piece of plywood for a door and stuffed it in here, an extra piece of plywood sits on top just to be safe, works pretty good if you don't mind ramshackle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts