Snowblower Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
Glad you got it "fixed".

I would not be happy after purchasing a new machine and having these issues.

Another reason to purchase from a dealer instead of a big box store. Hopefully they would have at least started the machine and made sure it was operating correctly.

Not sure if the low gear box lube was the retailers fault or Toro's, I would think it would be filled at the factory.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Hey thank you for taking the time to help me out. Its definitely possible all it needs is some adjustments before I start grinding. So the 2 bolts on left outer part of unit that is holding the auger/bearing in place you talking about ? This can be adjusted ? I live in North Jersey just trying to get this ready for the upcoming season and tryIng not to return or bring yo get serviced especially if I can do something myself.
No, there are shoes on both sides of the bucket that adjust the height of the scraper bar, and they wear down as you use the machine.

Reactions: CHRIS ROCK

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Glad you got it "fixed".

I would not be happy after purchasing a new machine and having these issues.

Another reason to purchase from a dealer instead of a big box store. Hopefully they would have at least started the machine and made sure it was operating correctly.

Not sure if the low gear box lube was the retailers fault or Toro's, I would think it would be filled at the factory.
Hey bro I am glad it was a easy fix but definitely nothing should have to be fixed with a brand new unit. If my neighbor did not buy the unit for me I would of definitely got it from a dealer. The manual says the unit comes filled with oil . Glad I checked because the unit took almost a quarter of oil also. So if anyone buys from boxstore please check the fluids lol.cr

·
Registered
149 Posts
I hope you didn't overfill the gearbox. There has to be some room for the oil to expand as it gets warmer, if you fill it completely it will force itself past seals as it warms up and expands.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I hope you didn't overfill the gearbox. There has to be some room for the oil to expand as it gets warmer, if you fill it completely it will force itself past seals as it warms up and expands.
Yep, like he said. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Carriage bolts can vary between manufacturers. Some have flatter profiles than others.
Well the 2 bolts are flat now lol. Things like this definitely should of been checked before it was delivered. It is what it is glad I did not have to bring it in.
I filled it to the recommended level of the manual. 1/8 below the port. It barely had anything in it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Make sure you use the right lubricant.

The older cast iron free wheel type used 80/90.
This is an oil that contains Sulphor as a lubricity improver.

These newer machines have a lot of brass parts in them that are not compatible with sulphor/oil ( Stinky Hypoid gear oil smell dead give away )

As far as I know most of these now call for winter 00 grease that's pretty easy to find.

The brass screw type gear arrangement is in my opinion a step backward since the good old days of Iron parts.
I think Ariens still uses it and I think their still using 80/90
The side loading sliding nature of the parts make it real tough for oil to form a lubricating wedge and keep the metal parts from wearing.
But the grease it sticks.....

The 00 Greases do a good job, trouble with grease is it bleeds out and the lubricant slowly finds its way out of the grease and into any place it can pool or leak out. ( grease is a solid that holds oil in suspension but eventual grease looses the battle and the oil bleeds away )
This means at some point its worth taking these units apart and cleaning them out.
I don't know if the manuals have kept up with this issue.

I didn;t have any 0 grease on hand this fall when I got me new push home ready for service.
I had some 0 trimmer grease and I know thats too thick.
I cheated and thinned it out with some Trans-50.
This is a temp measure.
Its real snotty and dark in there now.
The Trans-50 has loosened all the crud up and now its all in suspension and moving so I am going to tip the unit up and drain the snott and wash it real good with some contact cleaner before I re grease as he OEM recommended.

Ya don;t be creative is my lesson...

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Make sure all the Pullys are tight on the shafts, have heard that noise before.
Make sure EVERYTHING else is tight and on right too. I don't trust an "installer".
Most machines have oil in them now, too many were buying then not adding oil.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts