Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 8 or 9 year old Compact 24 that has the B&S engine which I purchased last year. The carb has major issues. It is my understanding that these have plastic carbs? Have any of you ever replaced one of those before? Any tips?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
You can replace most carburetor's now a days for like 12 to 19 dollars ... hardly worth ripping the old one apart.

The majority of people I see do not put Stabil and some SeaFoam in there gas. I put Stabil and half the rate of Seafoam in all my 5 gallon cans when I fill them. I am a believer of keeping gas in the tank, and fire up all my equipment periodically, even in the off season.

I never have had a carburetor or any other fuel problem. But on many other peoples machines, those that don't use additives or start there machines periodically, I sure have drained a lot of tanks and replaced a lot of carbs.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Fuel stabilizer helps, but it is more like insurance for me. You put it in there and hope that you can get a few more months out of it. Recently, many Youtubers did experiments with it. It helps very little to nothing, so don't count on it. It is best to drain the gasoline out. Gasoline is only good for a few months.

Fire up your equipment periodically help, too, if you can't drain gasoline out.

My dad used to take care of our equipment and he never drained gasoline out. At least, he used two-cycle gasoline oil mixed (it is a fuel stabilizer). It was hard to start-up every year and the engines ran rough. I looked inside one of the carbs, and it wasn't that dirty, surprisingly. It did have some sticky grease, though. So, drain gasoline out. The carb will get plug up over time if you don't. Fire up your equipment periodically at least.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
i would say open it up and see what you find. if it runs at least it isn't clogged solid. i have only come across one of those things. i have dealt with ton of the briggs plastic carbs on lawn mowers but only dealt with the 1 on snowblowers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Plastic carbs don't rust, but they crack when old. Plastic liner maybe a better idea. If you can't find replacement, you would have to fix/clean it. I saved old carbs, but I never had times to clean them.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Plastic carbs don't rust, but they crack when old. Plastic liner maybe a better idea. If you can't find replacement, you would have to fix/clean it. I saved old carbs, but I never had times to clean them.
i really don't see too many cracking as they age. if it was left out sitting in the sun maybe but on a snowblower under the covers the plastic carbs should be fine. all the older lawnboy 2 stroke lawn mower i own have plastic carbs and as far as i can tell they are original but i have only owned the 1 for about 15 years but have been using it for close to 20 years.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a 8 or 9 year old Compact 24 that has the B&S engine which I purchased last year. The carb has major issues. It is my understanding that these have plastic carbs? Have any of you ever replaced one of those before? Any tips?
Replace the carb then go down to a Marina that sells 100% gas (usually 88-89 octane) It's like $3 a gallon from the pump right now....Pure gas will last 6 months at least (in my experience) and I've started both carburetor and FI vehicles that have 5+ year old pure gas in the tank. Marina gas is much less likely to absorb atmospheric moisture that is the main cause of degradation. On a compact you could probably even get by with a 2 1/2 gallon can for an entire season. Every spring I go and buy five gallons and use it in all my small engines for the summer, then I buy a 2 1/2er in the fall (if needed). Whatever's left over goes in the car tank then I repeat for the next year. If you don't have a marina near, then you can buy it at a big box store or the autoparts store (it comes in metal litre cans) but it is a LOT more expensive (though I do strictly use the canned gas that has premix in all my 2 strokes). Make sure it is the pure gas pump at the marina (there are websites that check) because some do sell gasohol and don't wait till winter when the marinas and boating clubs are closed.

PS: don't store your SB in a metal shed.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I purchased this machine last year used so no idea what the previous owner did fuel wise. I ran the old stuff out of it, ran good fresh fuel, even tru-fuel, and treated also with sea foam- I could get it to start and run fine but once it was under a load, it would chug chug chug and then sometimes die. Going to pull the carb and replace it most likely. I've done tons of the the classic techumseh metal carbs but have never had to touch one of these plastic things.

·
Registered
250 Posts
You can replace most carburetor's now a days for like 12 to 19 dollars ... hardly worth ripping the old one apart.

The majority of people I see do not put Stabil and some SeaFoam in there gas. I put Stabil and half the rate of Seafoam in all my 5 gallon cans when I fill them. I am a believer of keeping gas in the tank, and fire up all my equipment periodically, even in the off season.

I never have had a carburetor or any other fuel problem. But on many other peoples machines, those that don't use additives or start there machines periodically, I sure have drained a lot of tanks and replaced a lot of carbs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I do the same. Keep them full with stabilized gas and start them couple times in off season. Last year there was no snow so I ran out the gas. I did not trust the gas lasting two years even with stabil.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
@brickcity ,

Instead of running out the gas if you don't want to leave it in machine, pick yourself up a cheap pump siphon tube, and put the gas in another seasonal machine you are currently using, or put it in your car ...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just dump it onto the asphalt and burn it if i feel like it, otherwise let it evaporate. no big deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts