Snowblower Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't always agree with Consumer Reports' methods of evaluating. Too heavy on features and function, with too little value placed on long term reliability and durability (harder to evaluate)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Interesting list. I will have to pick it up and read how they did their evaluations.

What does a 5 point difference really reflect? Could the results of the top 11 easily have been flipped?

Cost may be a big factor. As timettime said they really don't look at long term reliability all that well. They do a pretty good job of this with cars but not other products.

6 of the top 11 are MTD's. I know Cub Cadet is owned by MTD but it's designs are a bit different than the core MTD products. I am not sure if they are a subsidiary who they let do their own thing to some extent.

·
Premium Member
5,203 Posts
Looks like they put them in reverse order.:D

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't always agree with Consumer Reports' methods of evaluating. Too heavy on features and function, with too little value placed on long term reliability and durability (harder to evaluate)
+1 on that, pretty much exactly what I was thinking long-term durability .. tough to simulate unless something happens to break while they're testing. Also they tend to test what is popular and widely available in the big-box stores. :cool:

That said, I do like the CR for certain things. Maybe not so much for yard equipment.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Interesting list. I will have to pick it up and read how they did their evaluations.

What does a 5 point difference really reflect? Could the results of the top 11 easily have been flipped?

Cost may be a big factor. As timettime said they really don't look at long term reliability all that well. They do a pretty good job of this with cars but not other products.

6 of the top 11 are MTD's. I know Cub Cadet is owned by MTD but it's designs are a bit different than the core MTD products. I am not sure if they are a subsidiary who they let do their own thing to some extent.

I think I saw on YouTube them doing testing on snowblowers with wet sawdust ...something in my mind sparks a memory of seeing that. Now you got me curious and I'm going to have to go look it up tonight again. :eek:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I'm liking my Cub Cadet a lot more than the Ariens I had!
Do you realize that that this statement is going to go against a small yet very vocal group of people here who intensely dislike MTD. I Do not automatically hate on things without first looking at and evaluating the product first. If it is a well made well working product I am not afraid to say so. Despite its country of origin or company of origin.

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
Do you realize that that this statement is going to go against a small yet very vocal group of people here who intensely dislike MTD. I Do not automatically hate on things without first looking at and evaluating, the product first. If it is a well made well working product I am not afraid to say so. Despite its country of origin or company of origin.
And the people who instensely dislike MTD do so for the same reasons you emphasized: looking at and evaluating the product, and arriving at a conclusion based on that evaluation..MTD is disliked for a reason, because they are usually worthy of being disliked, compared to other makes.

And no one here "automatically hates on" anything for no good reason. you automatically made up that judgement without first looking at and evaluating why they hold the opinions they do! ;)

Scot

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The March 2015 issue of CU is out and the Lab Test Top Ten is dominated by MTD products. (It shouldn't take long for the rabid fanboys to show up...)
You Proved his point here exactly. I say I look at stuff. I evaluate. And if it is a bad product then I will say so. I do not automactically hate on things. I do like Ariens. They are still in bussiness because they do make excellent snowblowers. Likewise some of the higher end MTD machines are also decent to very good snowblowers as well. They are not Hondas per say yet they still are a good running excellent products especially for the price they are sold at. You and I are not all that different Scott in that we appreciate high quaility Equipment. I did maintanence for years and I know my way around a wrench. Unfortunately Briggs and yes the now demised Tecumseh were not always the very best products on the market. I am just not afraid to say so however.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Some posters think their 50 or 60 inches of snowfall in a season is a lot of snow. Their MTD products seem to be lasting a lifetime. I live on a private road road in central NH where most residential roads are private so the town does not have to maintain them. Not only do I do my own driveway but also neighbors and hundred of square feet of end-of-road piles that quite often contains some 3 to 6 rock kicked up by the plow if the road isn't frozen rock hard. The truck makes one pass to the end of the road, back up, and and then makes another pass widening it a bit. I am one of those Arien lovers because my 2002 commercial has not needed a single repair doing all of the above year-after-year. How many MTD models do you think would stand up to this abuse?

·
Registered
571 Posts
And the people who instensely dislike MTD do so for the same reasons you emphasized: looking at and evaluating the product, and arriving at a conclusion based on that evaluation..MTD is disliked for a reason, because they are usually worthy of being disliked, compared to other makes.

Scot
I had 2 problems, 1 very major, with my Ariens within the 1st month of ownership. Zero problems with my Cub Cadet so far.
I guess time will tell how well this Cub Cadet holds up! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
And yes, as others have said, the problem with Consumer Reports is that they only rate snowblowers when they are brand new, long term reliability isn't even a factor..a brand new Kia might compare favorably with a brand new Honda Civic, but the Kia isn't going to last 250,000 miles and 20 years, which the Honda will do with ease. And the Kia will also cost a lot more in repairs over its shorter 10 year lifespan than the Honda..anything looks fairly decent when its brand new, but that's only a fraction of what should be considered for a complete evaluation..its just a fact that not all brands are equal quality.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Some posters think their 50 or 60 inches of snowfall in a season is a lot of snow. Their MTD products seem to be lasting a lifetime. I live on a private road road in central NH where most residential roads are private so the town does not have to maintain them. Not only do I do my own driveway but also neighbors and hundred of square feet of end-of-road piles that quite often contains some 3 to 6 rock kicked up by the plow if the road isn't frozen rock hard. The truck makes one pass to the end of the road, back up, and and then makes another pass widening it a bit. I am one of those Arien lovers because my 2002 commercial has not needed a single repair doing all of the above year-after-year. How many MTD models do you think would stand up to this abuse?
It should because it is a commercial made blower. We have to compare simular products. Comparing a super duty pick up Truck to a car based cross over SUV is not exactly a fair comparision. However for the higher price you paid for your Commercial blower it should be the better product. I say Compare simular machines in simular price points and then base your conclusion on how they preform. Yes Ariens makes excellent machines. Likewise for the average homeowner the higher end MTD products are certainly up to the task as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,858 Posts
I had 2 problems, 1 very major, with my Ariens within the 1st month of ownership. Zero problems with my Cub Cadet so far.
I guess time will tell how well this Cub Cadet holds up! :cool:
That's great! I'm glad to hear your Cub is doing well..but just remember, a sample size of one is not statistically significant! ;) 10,000 Ariens compared to 10,000 Cub Cadets will tell a different story..

Scot

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
And yes, as others have said, the problem with Consumer Reports is that they only rate snowblowers when they are brand new, long term reliability isn't even a factor..a brand new Kia might compare favorably with a brand new Honda Civic, but the Kia isn't going to last 250,000 miles and 20 years, which the Honda will do with ease. And the Kia will also cost a lot more in repairs over its shorter 10 year lifespan than the Honda..anything looks fairly decent when its brand new, but that's only a fraction of what should be considered for a complete evaluation..its just a fact that not all brands are equal quality.
I actually own a Hyundai and they incidentally own Kia as well. It is a very reliable and dependable car. Plus Hyundai actually employs thousands of American workers in Alabama. May be Ford could take a look at what Hyundai is doing and bring back some of those jobs from Mexico back here to the USA. I am well aware of your dislike for Hyundia and Kia in your thousands of posts. Have you ever owned a Hyundia or Kia? Prove to me that they are bad cars.
PS I have 361,000 miles on my Hyundai

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
You Proved his point here exactly.
...and it took less than two hours.

FWIW, I backed into MTD ownership via a Craigslist deal that was too good to pass up. I found that they are stone simple to work on and parts availability is fantastic. Nothing but normal preventive maintenance and replacement of wear items to report on. My Honda HS621 has been great too! I'm pretty brand agnostic when it comes to OPE. As long as it works for you, I'm not going to badmouth your brand. :)

Off to blow some more DTW snow...

·
Registered
571 Posts
That's great! I'm glad to hear your Cub is doing well..but just remember, a sample size of one is not statistically significant! ;) 10,000 Ariens compared to 10,000 Cub Cadets will tell a different story..

Scot
Well, so far it's 1 bad Ariens and 1 good Cub Cadet. The sampling continues.... :D

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
...and it took less than two hours.

FWIW, I backed into MTD ownership via a Craigslist deal that was too good to pass up. I found that they are stone simple to work on and parts availability is fantastic. Nothing but normal preventive maintenance and replacement of wear items to report on. My Honda HS621 has been fantastic too! I'm pretty brand agnostic when it comes to OPE. As long as it works for you, I'm not going to badmouth your brand. :)

Off to blow some more DTW snow...

I say do your maintenance and for the most part your machine will last. Higher price points are usually consistent with higher quality but not always. Companies that do not provide a decent reliable product as expected by the consumer are doomed to fail. It simple economics 101. Most people will look at a products initial quality and reliability and some look at historical reliability and make a decision. Some however will continue to order the same product no matter how it performs whether good or bad against the competition. Product loyalty is continually earned and not a given. Honda has and will continue to be an innovator while unfortunately some companies stopped innovating or felt it was not important and ended up doomed to the dustbins of history.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hey guys, not that I'm trying to get in the middle of this dogfight, but the top 10 on this list we are arguing about are separated by only 5 points...which means to me they are virtually the same ratings wise. We all love our machines/brands for our own reasons, now let's go blow some snow!!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.