Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 26" 3x Cub Cadet snow blower last winter. I do NOT like the 3x arrangement of auger disks -- constantly breaking shear pins on the center disks. I was much happier with the tried and true 2x format with my old MTD 5hp Storm Series -- tried and true for 11 years and now wish I hadn't replaced it. The 3x machine itself is very solid and has a lot of power. I'd really like to replace the auger axles and gear box and replace with two stage parts. Any thoughts on whether this is worth trying to do?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Would probably be cheaper to sell and buy another

Reactions: Toro-8-2-4

·
Registered
485 Posts
Actually...

Looks like it's possible, might have to make a spacer or two, looks like you could easily take off the front piece (#11), the other #11 is a little more fiddly but easy enough. But really, why not sell it or trade it in on a 2X?

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Greetings from Tarrytown. I'm wondering if you have the crappy shear pins I've read about on the site? Have you tried ordering new ones? We had about 3" of wet snow yesterday and my brand new last year's model 3x 30 HD laughed at it. I purposely went after the plow Shi* pile in front of my house. I live where 2 streets intersect in an L and the pile was about 14" high and 20'+ long. No problems with any aspect, and I hit it from the end that allowed me to grab a full chute wide and go the entire 20' length. Thoughts?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would try different pins. I hear some are easier to break than others. Might be worth a shot before looking at the expense of replacing augers. I think it would be easier to sell and get a different blower than buy parts and convert.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Greetings from Tarrytown. I'm wondering if you have the crappy shear pins I've read about on the site? Have you tried ordering new ones? We had about 3" of wet snow yesterday and my brand new last year's model 3x 30 HD laughed at it. I purposely went after the plow Shi* pile in front of my house. I live where 2 streets intersect in an L and the pile was about 14" high and 20'+ long. No problems with any aspect, and I hit it from the end that allowed me to grab a full chute wide and go the entire 20' length. Thoughts?
What shear pins have you had the best luck with? After reading all the "horror stories" of how the 3X units eat accelerator shear pins I've now noticed that users are saying that all pins are not equal - seems like some aftermarket pins only break when they should. Comments?? Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
What are the conditions like?

The impeller tunnel extends into auger housing so it's more than swapping the auger assembly.

In my experience they break when they're supposed to break. I broke pins from ingesting newspapers and branches. Im on 6 most of the time.

I would try new pins before giving up on the machine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What shear pins have you had the best luck with? After reading all the "horror stories" of how the 3X units eat accelerator shear pins I've now noticed that users are saying that all pins are not equal - seems like some aftermarket pins only break when they should. Comments?? Thanks!
My machine is new so I'm using the OEM's that came with the machine. Have you tried calling CC and discussing this with a Tech? My experience is that 3 out of 4 were very good to excellent. One was a dud and belonged back in shipping.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts