Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Craftsman 26" Snow Blower. Model # 247.886913. I want to purchase a cover that will fit over it.

I purchased a Craftsman 71-33399 cover at my local Sears store. The box says that it "fits most two-stage snow throwers up to 28" wide". When I slip the cover over the handlebars (which is where the instructions say to start), it does not fit over the entire snow thrower. Not even close. It does not even reach the auger housing -- never mind cover it. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm pulling the elastic band as far as it will go; if I pull it any farther, it will rip the cover.

I also tried a (generic) "Classic Accessories 52-003-040105-00 Two-Stage Snow Thrower Cover" that supposedly fits this size snow blower and beyond; however, I had the same problem.

Is the chute assembly supposed to be removed from the snow blower first? Even with that, however, I don't see how either of these covers would work with this snow blower. I appreciate any suggestions!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I made a custom cover out of a silver HF tarp. Had my sister simply sew the 4 corners and it works great.
I place a plastic bucket upside-down over the top of the chute to keep the sharp edges from cutting/wearing a hole.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I have used a tarp with the "lift and tuck" approach. Drape the tarp over the machine, wrap and tie both handles with one end, lift and tuck the other end under the bucket. Wrap the middle with a bungee. Works like a champ. MH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a tarp with a bungee cored from hf, can be had for about 3 buck with a 20% off coupon, for indoor storage a cover isnt neccesarry

Digital Savings and Coupons from Harbor Freight
Thanks! I've never shopped at Harbor Freight; wondered about the quality of their products. (Any thoughts?) But I suppose I can't go wrong with a tarp, perhaps the 7'4" x 9'6" "All Purpose Weather Resistant Tarp" listed on the coupon page you supplied. I already have bungee cords.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have used a tarp with the "lift and tuck" approach. Drape the tarp over the machine, wrap and tie both handles with one end, lift and tuck the other end under the bucket. Wrap the middle with a bungee. Works like a champ. MH
Great, idea; thanks!

lift and tuck the other end under the bucket
Not sure I follow you; can you elaborate?

How can the tarp be applied so as to not only cover the handles but also cover and protect the back end of the snow blower; i.e., the controls, engine, etc.?

·
Retired Moderator
4,160 Posts
Using a tarp might be worse than using nothing, especially indoors. A tarp is going to trap moisture under it and against the blower.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
i sop at hf for tools all the time. im not a pro mechanic so i dont need pro tools, they have a lifetime warranty on their hand tools, i have a 10 dollar angle grinder from them thats awesome

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I was going to mention the same thing as shryp. With any tarp you want to make sure there is some kind of ventilation to it.

You are going to store it inside?
You don't need a tarp at all?

What I do is put a coat of wax on it after it is all cleaned and serviced, ready for summer storage. I then find an old sheet of the appropriate size and just lay it over the top. The sheet is light and breaths some, it won't trap moister like a piece of tarp does.

The sheet helps protect it from nicks and accidental things hitting it and also keeps the dust off.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Great, idea; thanks!

Not sure I follow you; can you elaborate?

How can the tarp be applied so as to not only cover the handles but also cover and protect the back end of the snow blower; i.e., the controls, engine, etc.?
The handles make a canopy sort of...the engine is visible if you peek underneath...this allows for air circulation which prevents trapping moisture on the machine, but protects from rain and the elements. MH

·
Super Moderator
2,673 Posts
Covers

Using a tarp might be worse than using nothing, especially indoors. A tarp is going to trap moisture under it and against the blower.
What he said. If it's inside then best IMO to let the air circulate around it to keep the moisture and rust down.

·
Retired Moderator
9,900 Posts
Inside storage where you aren't worried about keeping out moisture I'd just use an old cotton sheet or blanket. Keeps moisture from getting trapped and going to work on your machine.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you store it indoors and cover it you are begging mice to take up residence. Especially if you cover it with a tarp. Tarp material makes for fantastic nesting material. Storing it uncovered makes it far less inviting for visitors.

I believe that tools are for work and any cosmetic attention paid to them must relate to there function and longevity. I'll touch up paint to prevent rust but dust is the last thing I'm going to spend my time preventing. I don't even cover my boat that I store indoors.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If you store it indoors and cover it you are begging mice to take up residence. Especially if you cover it with a tarp. Tarp material makes for fantastic nesting material. Storing it uncovered makes it far less inviting for visitors.

I believe that tools are for work and any cosmetic attention paid to them must relate to there function and longevity. I'll touch up paint to prevent rust but dust is the last thing I'm going to spend my time preventing. I don't even cover my boat that I store indoors.
You consider the boat a tool too?
My boat is a toy, I try to keep all my toys clean and shiney. :p

You're right about mice, especially if you store it in an outside shed. Though in my shed the way it is built they can't get in. They would have to chew a hole somewhere to gain access.. Mine has been up for 14 years and never had a critter of any kind make a home in it. Had bees get in I fixed that with a screen. One thing I can't keep out is spiders, those suckers get into everything.:D
I had possums living underneath, and the rabbits like it under there too.
Fixed that problem too.

I have my boat in the garage too, I put a king size sheet draped over the windshield going down on the cockpit with the rest on the bow. I have my table saw in the garage, I grind sometimes, use the sander among other things. The sheet keeps the bow, windshield and cockpit nice and clean.
Plus it is such an easy thing to do takes all of less than a minute to throw the sheet over. But to each his own.

When I used to live in an apartment and parked the boat in the yard, I covered the boat with custom made canvas, faithfully. After every use I would wash it down let it dry and cover till the next weekend. Even if I was going back out the next day, I would throw the cover on.
It keeps the bird crap off, I had a black cherry tree and that stuff in bird crap was hard to remove!:eek:
Wintertime I would brace it up under the cover and brush the snow off every snowfall. Kept the weight off. All my years of keeping it outside nothing ever took up residence inside. Maybe I was just lucky?

I have a small piece of sheet covering my table saw too, I think it helps keeping the dust out of the motor when it sits waiting for the next useage.
A small piece on top of my 9.9 outboard, a piece covering the 70 horse on the boat.
When not in use I have a sheet covering my train layout too.:D

Hmmm, after writing this, maybe I have compulsive sheet disorder syndrome now that I think of it. Maybe I should seek out some professional help? :D

But like I said to each his own, everyone has their own way of doing things.;)

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
by the way, i never cover my stuff and have never had an issue, i only made the suggestion beause he wanted to coverit

·
Registered
370 Posts
Big Ed,

Covering your boat traps moisture. I faithfully covered my chris craft open bow because it was stored outside but on sunny days I would take off the cover just to let it air out.

My current boat is a Sea Nymph fishing boat. Flat floors and removable seats. It's a tool for fishing, not a fancy fiberglass boat like the last one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts