Snowblower Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can we do about a cracked fuel tank?

Someone gave us a 1999 828D that we are bringing back to life with the help of a bunch of YouTube videos. We've got a new carburetor on it, and new fuel line. Before I go much further, I am worried about the horizontal crack in the fuel tank -- but replacements online are like $123! Is there any alternative?

I saw this thread about "welding" it with a soldering iron but that seems....like I would blow up my garage?

Thanks for any suggestions of sources, or advice on repairing it.

(So far we got it to start but once I engaged the auger, I heard a BANG and one of the shear bolts flew into the garden! :7)

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
What can we do about a cracked fuel tank?

Someone gave us a 1999 828D that we are bringing back to life with the help of a bunch of YouTube videos. We've got a new carburetor on it, and new fuel line. Before I go much further, I am worried about the horizontal crack in the fuel tank -- but replacements online are like $123! Is there any alternative?

I saw this thread about "welding" it with a soldering iron but that seems....like I would blow up my garage?

Thanks for any suggestions of sources, or advice on repairing it.

(So far we got it to start but once I engaged the auger, I heard a BANG and one of the shear bolts flew into the garden! :7)
Welcome to the site.
Well you drain the tank first and let the fumes dissipate.
There is a video on YouTube that the guy welds his plastic like fuel tank on his car with gas in the tank. I wouldn't do it, but it is the fumes that will blow.
Video of his welding on the car is in this thread, PLASTIC FUEL TANK REPAIR.
I repaired a crack on my fuel tank with JB plastic weld.
What was the BANG? The belt snapping?

Post a picture of the crack here.

Reactions: wenestvedt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What was the BANG? The belt snapping?
One of the shear bolts let go: presumably when I engaged the auger, the drive turned but the auger didn't. I found half the bolt over by the rhubarb.

I was glad at least to see the engine was turning the shaft to the auger, even if it means I need to lubricate the auger itself. One thing at a time -- it won't snow for months yet....

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
he needs a fuel tank, so wondering what engine info i available. tecumseh snow king 8 hp? a standard 8 hp engine used on many blowers?
@Ziggy65 gave him an excellent link to info on his machine in post #7. Hard to say without seeing a picture of the damage, but those plastic fuel tanks are quite repairable as mentioned in the link back in post #1.

That said, those Tecumseh HMSK80/HMSK90 tanks are readily available:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, the engine is a Tecumseh HMSK80, as tabora guessed.

Here's what the side of the fuel tank looks like -- as though someone banged into it directly in the middle of the horizontal seam, leaving some cracks at the top edge and more cracks along the bottom of the glare:
Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That series of JD was made by Ariens for JD, very good machines.

Here is some information on the history of JD snow blowers see question 3:

Yeah, the pictures in Question 3 on that page look just like my new(-to-me) machine. I believe I have an Ariens-made one.

Does that mean that I can go hunting for parts sold for Ariens snow-blowers to see whether they match? That would be really helpful!

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Sorry, the engine is a Tecumseh HMSK80, as tabora guessed.

Here's what the side of the fuel tank looks like -- as though someone banged into it directly in the middle of the horizontal seam, leaving some cracks at the top edge and more cracks along the bottom of the glare:
Looking at that, I'd definitely replace it with this one for $33 (or a cheaper one if you can find it):

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Replace the gas tank with a used one, that style is very common.
Most mechanical parts on that machine should be able to cross over to similar vintage Ariens part #'s.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the advice, everyone -- a very warm welcome to the forum. :7)

We will probably just buy a new tank. As you all point out, an intact part is better than a repair.

Now, off to find a replacement scraper bar after the previous owner ignored the ground-off skid shoes until like half an inch of steel was gone....

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Sounds like you're on top of it ... :)

Sadly, most people just put in gas and run it till it does not work anymore .....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I think this one definitely got run into the ground and left on his sister's patio for a few years:rolleyes:.

If we can't get it running again, I will let the local small engine guy see if he wants it for parts or something -- but I really would prefer to revive it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts