Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

I recently got a 10 horse Snow King to work on for a re-power project....I cleaned out the gas tank and cleaned off the grime on the outside, no big deal.

About a month later I put some gas in it and got it to run pretty well.

Maybe less than a week later I saw the gas tank was about destroyed...all cracked and I'm sure it was ready to leak all over...the tank was fairly cherry before.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?!….it's just a plastic gas tank under normal operating conditions...dang!

Thanks for looking,

John

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
From your second photo, it looks like the tank is exposed. I wonder if this machine was stored outdoors with significant exposure to the sun. UV rays can cause plastic to deteriorate and become very brittle in spite of a “normal appearance”.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have not seen that level of cracking, but I have had several 20 to 30 year old machines that had cracks developing in the tanks. Some near the fill hole and others on the bottom near attachment features of the tank. And outside storage can speed up damage to the plastic, just like in cars (think of the old cracked dashboards).

tx

Reactions: ZINOM

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Wow, no, I've never seen a tank look like that. Tanks are commonly HDPE (High Density Polyethylene), which is usually pretty resilient. As was mentioned, presumably a lot of UV exposure could damage it, but wow, that's pretty bad.

Fortunately there are a ton of Snow King engines, so hopefully a new tank will be readily available, and reasonably priced.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i had something similar happen on a snowblower i got from my BIL. all was good till i decided to clean the old paint off it. it pretty much just fell apart after that and i know he stored it in his garage when not in use.

·
Registered
853 Posts
That is a common occurrence with the tanks being made of recycled plastic.
Recycled material is scrap material to begin with that is just broken down, ground up into powder or melted down and re-formed into another shape, all using the scrap material.
The material was "Scrap" to begin with, meaning its useful life was no longer any good anymore, and just because it was "Re-Shaped" into something else, does not mean it will be good as new again, just the opposite.
It started out as "Scrap" and will always be "Scrap" no matter what is done to it. The material doesn't have an "Indefinite Life", and in time has to be returned back to the ground where it originally came from, it only lasts for so long.
That goes for all "Recycled" products, metals, steel, aluminum, plastics of every type and all other things made of "Recycled" materials. That is a big reason automobile parts don't last long, parts like body panels for example.

·
Registered
853 Posts
There are certain solvents in PB Blaster that will destroy certain types of plastics.
It can melt, deteriorate, dissolve, harden and destroy certain types of plastics that are not compatible with the solvents and oils in many different types of lubricants.
Pour gasoline into some plastic cups and watch it melt them, sometimes it happens rather quickly.
Your plastics have to be made of a "Fuel Resistant" material, and "Solvent Resistant" materials or they will be destroyed, some faster than others.
Good quality plastic fuel cans are made of the resistant type materials. If you ever poured gasoline into a plastic food type jug or soda bottle it could melt it in a hurry.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Most plastics made today are of the "Low Density". People don't know the difference between "Low" and "High" density plastic in today's world.
Most of the recycled plastic is of the lower density and that is what most everything is made from today, recycled plastic.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Realizing that your tank is really bad, you still might consider repairing the tank, through the methods shown in this "Steve's Small Engine Saloon" video. (Choice of beer is optional).

https://youtu.be/62kTNwtPmE8

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
If you are local, I can give you a replacement tank

1 - 18 of 18 Posts