1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all..
My first post, so be gentle with me...
:)

A friend of mine dropped off an old snowblower that a friend of his gave him, but he did not need it as he bought a new one.

So he dropped off this Craftsman 8/25 Snowblower, Model number C950-52677-7
The problem is the carb leaks, probably the gasket, but I was thinking to replace the whole crab maybe as they seem to be pretty cheap on Amazon.

However I am not sure what model or brand of engine is on here, I cannot find any indications of either Briggs or Tecumseh. I looked all over , turned it upside down, nothing...

I was wondering if you guys can help figure out what it is?

So not sure what carb to buy as all the seller talk about Tecumseh engines and part numbers.

Please see attached photos, any help appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Craftsman usually used the Tecumseh engines, and by looking at the pictures, that is a Tecumseh engine by seeing the intake manifold.
They usually used a Walbro carburetor.
HM80 engine by Tecumseh
The engine numbers should be stamped on the blower housing shroud/engine cover either up on the top or down on the lower sides but usually on top and sometimes covered by a bracket, fuel tank mount or electric start switch if it has one.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Definitely a Tecumseh carb, and looks like it got painted orange when the snow blower got a coat of paint.
Carb is most likely supposed to be a 632113.
This info might help c950-52677.pdf

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
if your going to replace it anyways i would recommend taking the float bowl off and see what you find. they will leak fuel if you over prime them. as long as that is the only time they leak it should be ok. if it leaks when it is just sitting there there could be crap in the carb causing that or the carb has a bad needle and seat.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Sometimes the bowl goes bad and gets little 'Pin-holes' in it when they start to corrode/rot out. I have replaced a few of them because of that.
Nice thing with his carb, he has the adjustable fuel needle, a lot of replacement ones don't have that.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I agree with ST about the pin-holes (he may have pointed this out to me when I got started here), I have found quite a few old carbs which had slight leaks, which ended up being pin holes that I could only see thru under magnification and light. I now have a few spare bowls that I pop on with new gaskets when chasing down a leaking carb.

tx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the quick replies!
SO this should be ok to replace current carb?

Not sure what I should order for the bowl...

Take care, have a great weekend!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The original carburetor has the straight fuel line 'Barb' on it so the fuel line goes straight into the carb.
You have to be careful if you get a different fuel line 'Barb' on the replacement carb, like a 90 degree one.
Then you will have to re-locate the fuel line and hope you have the clearance for it. You can run into problems with it getting in the way of the throttle linkage-carb to governor arm and you will be re-locating the fuel line where could be problems from the location.
You don't want it to get in the way of the little mounting nut on the engine side of the carb where you have to get your hand/fingers at to hold it for re-installation. The fuel line could be in the way.
Other areas could be where you have to remove the flywheel because the line is in between the cooling fins behind the flywheel and to re-position it above where it was at originally.
Another area would be wrapping the line outside and going behind the engine to the carb and making sure nothing is in its way or gets caught on anything.
There are a lot of things to check into before you just go out and buy one of those discount replacement carbs, and also hope the tiny holes for the throttle linkage are in the correct location on the mount on the throttle shaft of the carburetor.
You would have to get the carb with the line going straight into it with the straight fuel line 'Barb'.
You could unknowingly get a carb with a different 'Barb' and holes in the throttle plate mount that don't match up. I have seen that happen many times and there were a lot of modifications that had to be performed for it to fit and work. Sometimes it wouldn't work at all and the carb could not be used for the application, and had to be returned for a different one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with ST about the pin-holes (he may have pointed this out to me when I got started here), I have found quite a few old carbs which had slight leaks, which ended up being pin holes that I could only see thru under magnification and light. I now have a few spare bowls that I pop on with new gaskets when chasing down a leaking carb.

tx
Hello all..
My first post, so be gentle with me...
:)

A friend of mine dropped off an old snowblower that a friend of his gave him, but he did not need it as he bought a new one.

So he dropped off this Craftsman 8/25 Snowblower, Model number C950-52677-7
The problem is the carb leaks, probably the gasket, but I was thinking to replace the whole crab maybe as they seem to be pretty cheap on Amazon.

However I am not sure what model or brand of engine is on here, I cannot find any indications of either Briggs or Tecumseh. I looked all over , turned it upside down, nothing...

I was wondering if you guys can help figure out what it is?

So not sure what carb to buy as all the seller talk about Tecumseh engines and part numbers.

Please see attached photos, any help appreciated!
The original carburetor has the straight fuel line 'Barb' on it so the fuel line goes straight into the carb.
You have to be careful if you get a different fuel line 'Barb' on the replacement carb, like a 90 degree one.
Then you will have to re-locate the fuel line and hope you have the clearance for it. You can run into problems with it getting in the way of the throttle linkage-carb to governor arm and you will be re-locating the fuel line where could be problems from the location.
You don't want it to get in the way of the little mounting nut on the engine side of the carb where you have to get your hand/fingers at to hold it for re-installation. The fuel line could be in the way.
Other areas could be where you have to remove the flywheel because the line is in between the cooling fins behind the flywheel and to re-position it above where it was at originally.
Another area would be wrapping the line outside and going behind the engine to the carb and making sure nothing is in its way or gets caught on anything.
There are a lot of things to check into before you just go out and buy one of those discount replacement carbs, and also hope the tiny holes for the throttle linkage are in the correct location on the mount on the throttle shaft of the carburetor.
You would have to get the carb with the line going straight into it with the straight fuel line 'Barb'.
You could unknowingly get a carb with a different 'Barb' and holes in the throttle plate mount that don't match up. I have seen that happen many times and there were a lot of modifications that had to be performed for it to fit and work. Sometimes it wouldn't work at all and the carb could not be used for the application, and had to be returned for a different one.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
That is the straight 'Barb' that would work.
It appears to be a 'Non Adjustable' type without the fuel mixture screw on the bottom of the bowl, nor does it have the little drain button, but it should work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts