Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get my Craftsman 123cc 4-cycle snowblower to start. Once started, it will run for anywhere between 5-20 seconds. During that time, an abnormal about of smoke comes out of the exhaust including what looks to be droplets of oil. Here's the next challenging issue...after the engine dies out, the pull cord is extremely difficult to pull...almost like it is locked up. With much slow, steady pulling, I can eventually get it to pull somewhat free. It will do this anywhere between 3-5 hard pulls before it will then pull free and then I can get the engine started again. It will then run between 5-20 seconds and then the process will repeat.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Retired Moderator
4,190 Posts
Sounds like it is flooding out and hydrolocking. Either oil or fuel is getting into the cylinder. If the float is sticking on the carb the fuel tank can be overflowing the carb and running straight into the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like it is flooding out and hydrolocking. Either oil or fuel is getting into the cylinder. If the float is sticking on the carb the fuel tank can be overflowing the carb and running straight into the engine.
I did just take apart the carb today and gave it a good cleaning. Everything looked to be in good order and the float and needle valve appeared to move freely.

How can I check to see if hydrolocking is occurring from oil?

·
2,394 Posts
no fluid pumping out of the plug when pulled over than it's the con rod giving up it's ghost locking up on the crank

·
Registered
11 Posts
What color is the smoke?if it's black something is major with the carburetor dumping excess fuel into the cylinder. If it Grey or blue it is sucking oil into the combustion chamber.if it's black,the carb need replaced or rebuilt.if it's Grey or blue that means major engine work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts