Snowblower Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

· Premium Member
1,600 Posts
You got a nice machine and best of luck with it. A friend of mine had a 28" TroyBilt with the 243 cc engine. He replaced it with an Ariens 24" compact with a 223cc motor.. He loves it over the Troy Bilt. He says he seems to do his driveway faster with the smaller Ariens. Go figure?

Let us know how you like it after you give it a few good work outs.
Good Luck.

Reactions: tfox12

· Registered
97 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but LCT seem to be on higher end equipment like Husqvarna and as we know Ariens. I know they are made in China, but if they are made to the standards of those companies mentioned you'd think that they are pretty good engines. I was under the impression that LCT was an American company just with factories in China, that they then import back to North America. So they have pretty much full control of the manufacturing process and quality of the engines?
you guys can keep believing that but, thats hilarious. we've literally covered that its a honda clone. THERE WAS NO DESIGN PROCESS LOL. I'm sure ariens has access to the CAD drawings or whatever and can say "lets make the valve seat angle 14 degrees instead of 15" and thats fine. But theyre just fine tuning a honda clone.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Noticed today as I was removing some snow that was stuck on the augur before putting it away that I'm missing a grease fitting! Went to Rona and they told me they'll call me tomorrow about what they can do for me as I just bought it yesterday.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Crankset
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Wheel

· Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Hard to say for sure but it looks like the hole does not have a thread cut in it. The zerk fitting may never have been installed. If that is the case do not just let them send you a new zerk fitting with out the correct tap. Unless it is self tapping.

· Registered
2 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I would recommend the Ariens over the Craftsman, worth the price difference IMHO.

The Deluxe 24 will handle the snow conditions in your area. You may have to take half buckets when tackling EOD and deeper heavy snow, but it will get the job done. The 24" is a great size for a typical 4 -6 car driveway and Auto Turn steering works fantastic for maneuvering the machine in tight spaces.

Have you considered looking for a lightly used, well maintained used machine? If you can wait, the best deals are spring and summer. The used machine market in this area is $$ right now with few good candidates listed.

If you are able to stretch your $2K budget, the Deluxe 28 SHO and Platinum 24 SHO (available only through Ariens dealers) would be the machines I would be considering for your area.
I have the Deluxe 28 SHO as well. Designed and engineered to last. This machine should function well for many years with proper maintenance. Spring for the hand warmers. They're worth it,

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Hard to say for sure but it looks like the hole does not have a thread cut in it. The zerk fitting may never have been installed. If that is the case do not just let them send you a new zerk fitting with out the correct tap. Unless it is self tapping.
I'm pretty sure these zerk fittings are ribbed for a press fit.

Reactions: CCMoe

· Premium Member
3,229 Posts
I have the Deluxe 28 SHO as well. Designed and engineered to last. This machine should function well for many years with proper maintenance. Spring for the hand warmers. They're worth it,
Very happy with my Deluxe 28 SHO as well. One of the best value for $ machines on the market IMHO.
I have no need for the hand warmers, hands rarely get cold wearing gloves and in colder temps (-20 - -30C) will switch to mitts.

· Registered
97 Posts
the store will either do nothing for you, or offer to fix it at the cost of you taking it there, waiting, picking it up and taking it home again.
theyre drive in grease fittings for a 1/4" hole but they only drive into 1/8" thick steel, so they dont grab much. I bet theres many new owners with missing grease fittings.
just go buy a pack of 1/4" drive-in grease fittings and file the drive end down to 1/8" tall, tap it in

except it looks like the hole is already damaged, from the fitting being hit upwards, and not round anymore?

Hood Automotive tire Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Bicycle part

and why does this look like it was painted with a brush or something? is that grease? the other side looks like a nice finish

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
the store will either do nothing for you, or offer to fix it at the cost of you taking it there, waiting, picking it up and taking it home again.
theyre drive in grease fittings for a 1/4" hole but they only drive into 1/8" thick steel, so they dont grab much. I bet theres many new owners with missing grease fittings.
just go buy a pack of 1/4" drive-in grease fittings and file the drive end down to 1/8" tall, tap it in

except it looks like the hole is already damaged, from the fitting being hit upwards, and not round anymore?

View attachment 207816

and why does this look like it was painted with a brush or something? is that grease? the other side looks like a nice finish
That's just grease from when I was fiddling with the hole to see if the fitting was a pressed fitting or threaded, I must have accidentally got grease on the augur.
The store called me today to let me know that they are going to give me a new unit and take mine back. Not the easiest thing to lift in my truck bed, but I'm happy that they're going to give me a new one instead. I feel like it wasn't on when I bought it and just didn't notice, or it might not have been in there properly and came out. I can't imagine that it would have broken off from the 1 time of light use that I used it, otherwise thats that a pretty easy thing to break?

· Premium Member
1,600 Posts
Nice machine, the grese zerks are press in, not really much material to thread to.

Here is a link to parts, US I believe,

Replacement Parts for Lawn Mowers and Snow Blowers - Ariens

CCMoe
I guess it is a 50 cent cost savings. I hope this is not a problem down the road for all of these machines using pressed in Zerks. If the hole is not too big I would get some self tapping Zerks and file it down to fit with some clearance. As suggested by 2kxj. Unfortunately you have to disassemble it to tap it. even with a bottoming tap. 1/8" of material is plenty of material for a 1/4-28 threaded zerk. This is how it has been done for decades. Some day in the futures, if you have to take it appart, you can fix all of them this with a decent tapped hole and appropriate zerk fitting.

· Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Glad they are replacing with a new machine.
I highly recommend this Lock n Lube grease gun coupler.
quick release, no more struggling to remove standard grease gun coupler from zerks or pulling out the zerks by mistake.

Battery Font Office supplies Multipurpose battery Metal

· Registered
941 Posts
When I realized that the grease fittings on the auger were pressed in and not threaded, I went and bought one of the releaseable grease gun fittings, the one I got was "Lock "N Lube" but there are other makes that are cheaper. The brand name one is kind of pricey but for a "one-off" I got that one. These do not put any strain on the grease fitting that might pull it off when you pull the grease gun fitting off, there is a trigger release that "lets go" of the auger fitting.

· Registered
Craftsman 536.881851
53 Posts
When I realized that the grease fittings on the auger were pressed in and not threaded, I went and bought one of the releaseable grease gun fittings, the one I got was "Lock "N Lube" but there are other makes that are cheaper. The brand name one is kind of pricey but for a "one-off" I got that one. These do not put any strain on the grease fitting that might pull it off when you pull the grease gun fitting off, there is a trigger release that "lets go" of the auger fitting.

I own the Lock N lube grease fittings and have been very happy with it.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Just a quick update about the Ariens Deluxe 24" Snow Blower. So far it works great, Im very happy with the machine. the auto turn steering is very nice, and very sensitive. The only issues I'm having are surrounding the chute, but I don't think they're very big issues, I am going to take a look now that it isn't -30 outside. The black bar that runs parallel with the chute and attaches to the chute to rotate it seems to be coming loose and will start to tilt on an angle. I'm assuming that I just need to tighten it though? The other issue is that the chute turns too easily. I'll have it pointed in a certain direction and once it starts blowing snow it starts to turn on it's own. I watched a video showing that it's a pretty easy fix so I'll be doing that soon too. Other than that it is a great machine so far. We got a lot of snow last week so had the chance to use it a few times, did my neighbors driveway too because I was enjoying using it. Thanks for the help everyone. As long as I can fix those 2 little minor issues which I'm assuming has something to do with the store assembling it and not the actual build quality, I would definitely recommend the Ariens 24" Deluxe.

· Premium Member
3,229 Posts
Glad you are happy with the machine.
It sounds like the store did not tighten the black bar supporting the chute and adjust the nut under the chute pivot point (it just needs to be tightened a little).
This adjustment is covered in your owners manual. Both are easy quick fixes.
I would review the set up procedure (Ariens has a video) and check for proper set up and ensure hardware is tight.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts