Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some give me one with an auger drive pulley that needs replacing. Everything else looks in great shape. You tooted the repair and it looks pretty easy. Maybe $30 or so for the used pully on Ebay and new belts another $40 or so. Cant locate anyone that sells a new pulley. What do you guys think is it worth it?
image0.jpeg

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I'm not a fan of the tracked machines, and I do not own any, but if you have basic mechanic skills, and enjoy working on equipment, I would repair it.

What's wrong with the pulley? … Maybe weld it?

I have 7 machines, all wheeled ones, which I received all for free, including my fathers Yardman 7100 model from 50 years ago. I have brought them all back to life with repairs, as well as putting new engines on a couple years ago. Even restored some to pristine condition. Its something I enjoy doing.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i got a noma 8/24 that looks almost identical other than having wheels instead of tracks. i personally wouldn't spend $70 on that thing. if it is a full size belt you can usually get one fore about $10 at the auto parts store or farm supply store. i would try finding a cheap used pulley and get a belt accordingly. also you will need to do the impeller mod or maybe run a bit smaller pulley on the impeller shaft if you want the thing to throw snow. the one i got use to only throw snow maybe 6ft. now it throws snow about 12-14ft which is pretty respectable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not a fan of the tracked machines, and I do not own any, but if you have basic mechanic skills, and enjoy working on equipment, I would repair it.

What's wrong with the pulley? … Maybe weld it?

I have 7 machines, all wheeled ones, which I received all for free, including my fathers Yardman 7100 model from 50 years ago. I have brought them all back to life with repairs, as well as putting new engines on a couple years ago. Even restored some to pristine condition. Its something I enjoy doing.

View attachment 167488
I haven't taken it apart yet to inspect it but the lower auger pulley is wobbling like the shaft hole is wallowed out. I cant tighten the belt enough to turn the auger in snow. Must have broke the weld or something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't taken it apart yet to inspect it but the lower auger pulley is wobbling like the shaft hole is wallowed out. I cant tighten the belt enough to turn the auger in snow. Must have broke the weld or something. I live on a mountain and need the tracks for my steep 150' gravel driveway. Had chains on another machine with 16" wheels and it didn't work so well. Wet west coast snow packs up and turns wheels into drag slicks.Neighbor let me use his Ariens with tracks and it climbs it effortlessly. I need to get this fixed or something else with tracks before this winter hits.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
It might have sheared a key ? …. Many pulleys have a keyway, and also tightened down with a set screw.

If you need a machine with tracks, and you have some mechanical abilities, it sounds like you can get that in running condition with a little effort.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It might have sheared a key ? …. Many pulleys have a keyway, and also tightened down with a set screw.

If you need a machine with tracks, and you have some mechanical abilities, it sounds like you can get that in running condition with a little effort.
That would be nice. It will be a while before I can get to it but I will let you know. thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't taken it apart yet to inspect it but the lower auger pulley is wobbling like the shaft hole is wallowed out. I cant tighten the belt enough to turn the auger in snow. Must have broke the weld or something.
You need to split the machine and take it apart so you can figure out what is causing the problem. I got a used Noma snowblower that had a similar problem and it turned out that somehow the impeller shaft got twisted and slightly bent. The auger shear pins were bent too. I had to get another one that had a good shaft and bent blades and have a welder make one good one out of them. I also changed the impeller shaft bearing although the original one was probably OK. Of course after doing all this we didn't get enough snow for me to need to use it last winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts