Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my sister and her husband flip houses and this was in the pole barn of the last house they bought. So they gave me a call to come pick it up, knowing I love these old machines. It was stored under a tarp and was stored correctly, no gas...The gas tank was clean and clear of any gas. I got it home and did a full inspection, no spark and dry rotted belts and gas line. Quickly fixed that, cleaned and reset the points. Replaced the belts, gas line and pulled the carb, figured it would be dirty....It was as clean as a new one...Changed the oil and spark plug and then added gas...She fired right up and purrs like a kitten.

Now I know it's not a big exciting machine but how cool is it to find a machine almost 40 years old in this condistion. I bet I was the fisrt to ever pull that carb and tune it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Looks in great condition, and it has wheels on the auger housing! No gas? I would have said the gas evaporated! and you have varnish but since it fired right up and ran smooth, I'm flattened that someone would have drained the gas from the tank and carb. What a wonderful find and that makes it much more fun to use. Backup? Selling? How much? It's hard to make that decision. But sometimes you want to sell it before it breaks!

Reactions: GAR

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks in great condition, and it has wheels on the auger housing! No gas? I would have said the gas evaporated! and you have varnish but since it fired right up and ran smooth, I'm flattened that someone would have drained the gas from the tank and carb. What a wonderful find and that makes it much more fun to use. Backup? Selling? How much? It's hard to make that decision. But sometimes you want to sell it before it breaks!
No gas was in it, not even a stain of old gas that had evaporated. I just tried it out and she moves snow really well. I think it's a great smaller backup blower and I am going to keep it. I took the bottom plate off to see the condition of the friction disk thinking it would be dry rotted but I was surprised to find a Tecumseh gear box and not a disk!

·
Registered
45 Posts
If it was mine, I would keep it, too - it's great! I was looking at the pic - even the primer bulb looks to be in good condition. I have had to replace a few of those when they rot. And looking at the model # you gave I see - 536 Noma (Murray).
I think there are some Noma fans on this site.

·
Super Moderator
6,670 Posts
nice gift
who said you had to have a big snowblower for it to be cool

·
Registered
109 Posts
wow, nice find, so clean too, me want this

I also am curious to know what will happen to this old blower. Michigan is only 10.5 hrs away from me, soo tempting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
''Craftsman 536 918101''

is this the model number? I have access to all the mtd's numbers of all blower ever made by them and cannot see this number.

It sure looks like MTD auger, tractor looks different and engine looks like newer than 1980 Tec.

Anyone knows who made this machine?

·
Registered
109 Posts
even found another member from this forum ask this before with no luck on model's origine

Hi,
Welcome aboard mcrennan!

Nice Craftsman 20" snow thrower.

I believe you meant 143. as a starting prefix for that Tecumseh number.
HS40-55526G engine.
You have a Tecumseh HS(Horizontal small frame)40(4HP)HS40(model) 55526G(spec. number) for an engine.

0182B I believe the birth date of your engine is June 30, 1980 but it could be 1970
which if it is...the birth date of your engine is July 1,1970 and built on line and shift B @ Tecumseh factory either way.
I believe the chute looks early 80's but other craftsman guys can help you more if they have the craftsman manuals. Is there a code also on the tag id that has 536.918101???

A picture would be great....I believe someone else just picked one of those up on here??? Congrats on your newest toy! They are fun.

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/craftsman-snowblowers/3186-help-iding-older-craftsman.html

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
''Craftsman 536 918101''

is this the model number? I have access to all the mtd's numbers of all blower ever made by them and cannot see this number.

It sure looks like MTD auger, tractor looks different and engine looks like newer than 1980 Tec.

Anyone knows who made this machine?
It was made by roper

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice find! My neighbor and I found a 536 918100 4 years ago in the same pristine condition as yours. Used the heck out of it for two winters, did the impeller mod on it in prep for last winter (2016) and haven't had any snow since. It's 84 degrees here right now so I don't think we'll see snow today!!! I might caution you to check the gearbox for grease/gear oil. It's hard to find parts should it blow up on ya'. Don't ask how I know. Good luck with a great little snow blower.

·
Super Moderator
2,672 Posts
The model number 536 918101 and The Engine #143-707102 SER 0235B.
536 918101 is the same as the 536 918100 except it came with an electric starter IIRC. 4 HP twin shaft Tecumseh, 3 speed gear transmission, 20" auger housing, most likely has the bronze bushings on the auger shaft and axel. Hard rubber tires, though pneumatic tires from 536 918200 will fit just fine but stick out about 1/2"-1" on either side of the auger housing.

They will take a 5 hp twin shaft Tecumseh just fine. Good little unit. I've had maybe a half dozen of the 4 & 5 hp units, great little units but prefer having the electric starter due to old shoulder issues.

And they were made by Murray.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts