Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum
Hello I have a craftsman 536.918800 it ran (not well) when i got it but now, 2 years later, it wont start. It hasn't snowed hardly at all here in last couple years but now I need it. my problem is that it may need a new carb,? I gave the carb a quick cleaning, but now if i press the primmer a couple times it leakes gas out the side of the carb until it drains the tank. Any help would be great.Thanks

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Good Man. :)

Quoted form the other:

Problem is you're gonna need more than a 'quick cleaning', what has happened is that your float needle valve is gunked into the open position and not closing when the bowl fills. Thus allowing the tank to drain through that little hole, and maybe into the cylinder too. You need to pull the carb off, disassemble, and do a proper refurb. At least a thorough 'by hand' cleaning, checking to see that all orifices are clear and clean and that the float needle moves freely.

You might want to pull the plug and see if there's gas in there, pull it over a few times. Also check the oil, it may be too full because of gas getting in there as well.

And welcome to SBF. :eek:ccasion14:

Addendum portion: It doesn't need a new carb, the one you have needs cleaning. Don't be afraid, take it apart and see. Not hard to do, just be careful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so i pulled the carb off again and took it apart. I can't seem to get the jet out, it does not have a slot for a flat head screw driver. also my float has a crack in it, causing the float to fill with fuel. so I assume that could cause the fuel to spill out? Is there a way to repair the float or are floats generic enough to find a replacement for it. So advice on float and jet are what I think I need. Thanks

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yes you need a new float. I wouldn't waste my time trying to repair a float.

floats are easily purchased from many places for just a few dollars.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
:welcome: to SBF cliff. If you post the numbers stamped into the top of the recoil shroud right in front of the spark plug, someone will lookup up the correct parts for you. If your machine has electric start, you will have to remove the starter push button to see them. Being a Craftsman product, the numbers will probably start with a 143.xxxxxxx. which is a Tecumseh motor made for Sears.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all who replied to my post. I was able to solder the crack in the float and give the carb a better cleaning. Now it no longer dumps fuel out... BUT i cant get it to run without dumping a few drops of fuel directly into the cylinder, then it dies in a couple seconds. Anyone know the screw adjustments ? BTW I am getting a rebuild kit and new float anyway, I just want to get it running so i know i'm not wasting my time.

·
Super Moderator
2,668 Posts
I've had a couple of carbs that just could not be overhauled and made to run right. I've instead bought a Oregon carb off EBay with the same linkage for the correct size engine and I've had very good luck with them. Get the ones with the 2 adjustable jets, they're the way to go. Most list for something like 7-10 hp Tecumseh's and they do interchange well.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you are in need of your snowblower NOW, just buy a replacement carb assembly off of Ebay and be done with it as HCBPH suggests...not worth the aggravation.

Maybe save the "old" carb assembly and work on it in your spare time. Save it as a backup to your new Chinese one. LOL

Good Luck!

Dave

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
98% of the time the old start and die routine is caused by crap still the the jet and small orifices. Even with the rebuild kit you want a very thorough cleaning. Some small wire to run through them after a soaking like bread ties and wire from a wire brush or better yet one of these Amazon.com: K&L Supply Carb Cleaner Kit 35-3498: Automotive

Cleaning vid

1 - 13 of 13 Posts