Snowblower Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I have a 8.5 HP Craftsman (536.881851)with a Briggs and Stratton Engine 115A114 0342 E1.

Last storm the snow blower started stalling under load and then started surging even without load.

When this happened in the past I cleaned and rebuilt the carb, cleaned out the old fuel and the snow blower would go back to working great.

This time I decided to replace the carb and plug instead of cleaning the carb, but the problem did not go away. Thinking it might be electrical, I noticed a few dodgy looking wires that needed replacing so I took care of those. Didn't help or hurt.

Usually I'm pretty good at small engines, but this has me stumped. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes........ I agree with your approach so far..... If you have an adjustable jet carb, open the main jet a hair and go from there. Otherwise give it a good cleaning. Check Spark plug and check gap. Does it look like it is running lean?

Check the fuel line and make sure it is not cracking and letting small particles of rubber float into the carb. Replace it if questionable.

I would next look at a vacuum leak.....intake gasket or head gasket. Make sure everything is tight. Spray some carb cleaner around the potential leaking areas while it is idling and see if it effects the RPM. If it does you have found a problem.
What are the wires for? The kill switch? Should not effect engine running.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
417 Posts
What Jackmels said. I had the same problem with my MTD and a new gas cap cured that problem. If that's the problem, you can drill a small hole in the defective cap in the meantime until you get a new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow... all great answers... and stuff I hadn't checked. Thanks all.

I hadn't thought at all about the gas cap.

I did wonder about the carb being defective.

I'm hoping it isn't a head gasket...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts